Fairy Box up for looksies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coin Flip

Fairy Box (making every monster in your deck a Gate Guardian piece)
One of the more interesting commons from Labyrinth of Nightmare (which saw little or no play all around) was "Fairy Box". Possibly because it is a Permanent Trap, which was normally looked at with disgust by the players who ran 3 "Mystical Space Typhoon", a "Heavy Storm", and a "Harpies Feather Duster" as well as a "Jinzo". Maybe because it had 500 LP as a cost to maintain it every turn (which is just as optional as another card that saw play in almost every deck, "Imperial Order"). Maybe that was too much for the players running "Premature Burial", "Confiscation", "Delinquent Duo" and an "Imperial Order", who weren't interested in depleting their LP any more while in play. Whatever reason there may have been for this card's short-lived reputation, it didn't see much work in the environment when it first came out and still doesn't see much now.
But this card is very good at affecting the game in a way much like "Imperial Order". "Imperial Order" eliminates one third of the game when it becomes active. When this card becomes active, it gives you a one half chance of eliminating what is the focus of almost every player - attacking with your monsters to inflict LP damage and reduce your opponent's LP to 0. Many monsters today die as a result of battle with a stronger monster. Although it may not seem like much to get the effect off once, getting the effect off once changes a lot while playing the game. Many players are running 3 "D. D. Warrior Lady" and 3 "Berserk Gorilla" for the field advantage and high ATK the two cards boast. Let's say I have a "White Magical Hat" on the field in ATK position, and my opponent has no cards in their hand and a "Berserk Gorilla" on the field. If they attack my "White Magical Hat" with "Berserk Gorilla", and I activate "Fairy Box" before they attack, one of two events can occur.
The first event is that I will call the coin flip wrong, and I will take 1000 damage as a result of battle, and "White Magical Hat" will be destroyed. That would have happened anyway had I not had "Fairy Box".
The second event is that I will call the coin flip correctly, and "Berserk Gorilla" will have its attack reduced to 0. Then my "White Magical Hat" will destroy IT and inflict 1000 damage to the opponent's LP as a result of battle. That reverses the game around. I inflicted damage to their LP instead of vice versa, and they lost a card, not me.
Let's say I have nothing on the field when they attack with "Berserk Gorilla". If I call the flip wrong, nothing new happens. If I call the flip correctly, though, I just reduced my damage from a direct attack from 2000 to 0. Although I'll have to pay 500 LP to maintain the card in my Standby Phase, I have a chance of saving myself 2000 LP. It becomes even more lifesaving when they attack with multiple monsters - "Asura Priest", "D. D. Warrior Lady", and "Berserk Gorilla", for example. Even if I call it right only once, I still reduce damage to my LP by 1500 or more, which would allow me to live longer than if I hadn't had the card. Even using this card once can change the game. If I have a "Breaker the Magical Warrior" on the field (with no Magic Counter on it) with "Fairy Box" active while they have a "Reflect Bounder" and a "Don Zaloog", if they attack with "Reflect Bounder" planning to destroy my "Breaker the Magical Warrior" and then take a card from my hand with "Don Zaloog", if I use "Fairy Box" successfully when they attack with "Reflect Bounder", I lose no LP, they lose 1600, and their "Reflect Bounder" dies. Their plan to inflict 1500 LP of damage to me and make me lose one card from my hand as well as my only monster on the field is ruined. Instead, they lose one monster and 1600 LP.
Logically, though, the effect will not work multiple times very often. Once your opponent loses 1800 LP from attacking a "Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer", a monster from the field and sees you remove 2 Monster Cards from their Graveyard, they will understand to just play defensively until they can remove "Fairy Box" from play, nullify its effect by summoning "Jinzo" or activating "Royal Decree", or until you stop paying for it (which may not be for a while, since the cost of 500 LP is so meager).
It works as an attack deterrent for a long time, though, if you use it successfully once or twice. Once you have multiple monsters on the field, then you can attack without consequence or worry while your opponent has to worry about the coin flip putting them in an even worse position than they are already in.
If you're looking for some serious LP protection, tactical advantage and play advantage, try this card out. It really changes the game once your opponent catches on to the card's power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back