Fantasy Card Review - Unhinged

Paradox Explosion
Normal Spell Card
Pay 1000 Life Points. Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard in face-up Attack Position 2 turns ago. You cannot activate this card if it is not in the Duel.

Whimsical Summon
Normal Spell Card
Pay 1000 Life Points. Special Summon 1 monster (ignoring the Summoning conditions).

Cut That Out!
:spell: :continuous:
Pay 500 Life Points to negate a Special Summon and return it to the owners hand.

Super Shuffle
Normal Spell Card
Shuffle your Deck, pick up the top card of your Deck and return it to your Deck, then shuffle it.

White-Eyes Platinum Dragon
Light/Dragon - Effect/Ritual
10,000/10,000
Effect: This card is Ritual Summoned by the Ritual Card "White-Eyes Platinum Ritual". You must also offer 3 level 7 or higher LIGHT Dragon-Type monsters as a Tribute. This card cannot be Summoned other than by Ritual Summon. When this card is Summoned, destroy all other cards you control, and you cannot play any other cards while this card is face-up on the field. This card cannot be destroyed by card effects.

Mobius Loop
DARK/Fiend - Effect
0/0
Effect: If you draw this card, Special Summon it to the field. If this card is Special Summoned to the Field, send it to the graveyard. If this card is sent to the graveyard, remove it from play. If this card is removed from play, return it to the top of your deck and draw 1 card.

Mystical Blue Moon
Equip Spell
Effect: Activate only by sending 1 "Mystical Moon" on your field to the graveyard. Equip this card to the monster that was equipped with the sent "Mystical Moon". Increase the equipped monster's ATK and DEF by 500 points. The equipped monster is not destroyed as a result of battle with a monster with the same ATK.

Mystical Harvest Moon
Equip Spell
Effect: Activate only by sending 1 "Mystical Blue Moon" on your field to the graveyard. Equip this card to the monster that was equipped with the sent "Mystical Blue Moon". Increase the equipped monster's ATK and DEF by 500 points. The equipped monster is not destroyed as a result of battle. The equipped monster does Piercing damage to the opponent.

Eclipse of the Mystical Moon
Equip Spell
Effect: Activate only by sending 1 "Mystical Harvest Moon" on the field to the graveyard. Equip this card to the monster that was equipped with the sent "Mystical Harvet Moon". Increase the equipped monster's ATk and DEF by 1000 points. The equipped monster is not destroyed as a result of battle. The quipped monster does Piercing damage to the opponent. If the equipped monster reduced the opponent's life points to 0 as a result of battle in a single attack, and you have "Mystical Moon", "Mystical Blue Moon" and "Mystical Harvest Moon" in your graveyard, you win the match.

Last edited:
Mystical Blue Moon
Equip Spell
Effect: Activate only by sending 1 "Mystical Moon" on your field to the graveyard. Equip this card to the monster that was equipped with the sent "Mystical Moon". Increase the equipped monster's ATK and DEF by 500 points. The equipped monster is not destroyed as a result of battle with a monster with the same ATK.

Mystical Harvest Moon
Equip Spell
Effect: Activate only by sending 1 "Mystical Blue Moon" on your field to the graveyard. Equip this card to the monster that was equipped with the sent "Mystical Blue Moon". Increase the equipped monster's ATK and DEF by 500 points. The equipped monster is not destroyed as a result of battle. The equipped monster does Piercing damage to the opponent.

Eclipse of the Mystical Moon
Equip Spell
Effect: Activate only by sending 1 "Mystical Harvest Moon" on the field to the graveyard. Equip this card to the monster that was equipped with the sent "Mystical Harvet Moon". Increase the equipped monster's ATk and DEF by 1000 points. The equipped monster is not destroyed as a result of battle. The quipped monster does Piercing damage to the opponent. If the equipped monster reduced the opponent's life points to 0 as a result of battle in a single attack, and you have "Mystical Moon", "Mystical Blue Moon" and "Mystical Harvest Moon" in your graveyard, you win the match.
With the possible exception of that last card (only because of its "win the Match" part), why are those "Unhinged"? Upgrading equipment sounds like a cool idea.

With the possible exception of that last card (only because of its "win the Match" part), why are those "Unhinged"? Upgrading equipment sounds like a cool idea.

That's just it; no one's done an "equip upgrade" gimmick before, and when I went back and looked at these cards, I realized just how impractical it would be; unless you make a very dedicated Equip deck, it would just be a waste of resources to have to trade up one Equip card for another, slightly more powerful version of itself, especially if you needed the former to activate the latter. It's one of the few gimmicks of Yugioh that I have to agree with the masses is a dumb idea, ie. having support for a single solitary card.

Think about it; why don't people play Gearfried the Swordmaster, or Sealmaster Meisei, or Dekoichi, anymore? Because having to dedicate a deck to focus on that card and that card alone is way too taxing on your resources, and leaves you vulnerable to a lot of other, more versatile decks. It's the reason why I criy foul on King of the Beast and Beast Striker; both are support cards for Moja, which is a fairly decent card by itself and doesn't NEED the support, especially since the support is really weak (there are a lot better cards than Beast Striker to bring out Moja, and King of the Beast is an underpowerd "upgrade" that you can't even have multiples of on the field). Why should I bother building a deck around Moja and its support, when Moja's effect is good enough to use as part of another strategy (like as part of a Rescue Cat Synchro loop)?

You're missing the point of "Unhinged", then. Unhinged cards are really wacky cards, probably ones that have paradoxical effects or ones that completely bend the rules. They are not simply "useless" cards. "Gate Guardian" is probably the most useless of them all, yet it still exists as a real card. Unhinged cards are ones that should never be allowed into the game on the basis that they're incredibly overpowered (providing a missing link to a killer chain, perhaps) or break the rules so completely things would just be a mess.

Your cards do none of these things. They look like perfectly valid cards, even if only for casual Decks. Since LV monsters exist, this upgrading aspect of cards is no longer amazingly different. They'd be allowed to exist as real cards, and that's the main point. Unhinged cards wouldn't.

You're missing the point of "Unhinged", then. Unhinged cards are really wacky cards, probably ones that have paradoxical effects or ones that completely bend the rules. They are not simply "useless" cards. "Gate Guardian" is probably the most useless of them all, yet it still exists as a real card. Unhinged cards are ones that should never be allowed into the game on the basis that they're incredibly overpowered (providing a missing link to a killer chain, perhaps) or break the rules so completely things would just be a mess.

Your cards do none of these things. They look like perfectly valid cards, even if only for casual Decks. Since LV monsters exist, this upgrading aspect of cards is no longer amazingly different. They'd be allowed to exist as real cards, and that's the main point. Unhinged cards wouldn't.

There's a difference, here; the LV monsters worked because they were monsters, and had their own way of getting their "upgraded" forms out, plus most of them allowed you to bring out all but their supreme "upgraded" forms out without needing to go through the leveling-up process. What works for a monster, does not necessarily mean it will work for a spell or trap; the only spell/trap card that I know of that has this kind of upgrading ability is Blaze Accelerator, and I don't see it being played in many Volcanic burn decks. Plus, it's only upgrading once, to Tri-Blaze Accelerator, and from there it's used to summon Volcanic Doomfire, a monster, hardly a waste of space.

Tell me, how would YOU play this card set? Explain to me how you'd use these cards in a deck. Believe me, I tried coming up with a use for them, and I couldn't; the concept of an 'evolving" equip spell is just so stupid and unfeasable, it qualifies as "unhinged". Besides, how can you NOT say these cards are too powerful? 500 ATK and DEF with, in order, battle immunity AND Piercing damage? Except for the fact that they need to be used in order to be played, there's no way that they'd not be considered a "broken" equip card.

I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree with you on this; these cards are just too powerful and too bizarre in how you'd play them to NOT qualify for this list.

The cards are balanced by the fact that they don't upgrade themselves - you have to play the new cards yourself if/when you get them. And it takes a while to get up to really good effects (frankly, +500 ATK/DEF isn't much), plus they're easily gotten rid of. They're powerful in their own way, but there are too many counters to them, they take too long to set up (as you've mentioned), and in the end they'd just be interesting cards.

That's not unhinged, not by a long shot. Just because you won't see it in tournaments doesn't make it "unhinged".

The idea isn't stupid or bizarre at all, no more so than LV monsters or "Blaze Accelerator" or "Sword Hunter".

Back