future fusion question....

hachura16

ok i have SOOOOOO many problems with this card but my main one is if "spirit on the nightmare" can be summoned with "future fusion" sense he cant be targeted by magic cards........ idk ive read the rules and it says effects like that monsters is whenever its on the field since its a continueis effect, but its not the field when its furtue fusion if activated, but then would it be destroyed whensummoned?

i need some help people! help me before my head explodes with an headache!!!!!

the new, but cute, member of city of gamers

hachura

I believe it will be able to be summoned since the card does not target, after it hits the field ( I think, I dont have future fusion in front of me). Technically, you could premature burial a spirit reaper, but as soon as it hits the field it will die (this proves that you can target outside of the field). As long as Future Fusion does not target it while its on the field, then it should be fine

Yes, we are talking about "Reaper on the Nightmare". Yes, it can be brought out with "Future Fusion". Yes, it will die as soon as it hits the field because "Future Fusion" targets the monster in order to know when the monster is destroyed, and to destroy that monster, similar to "Call of the Haunted".
UDE FAQ said:
If "Spirit Reaper" is Special Summoned with "Premature Burial" or "Call of the Haunted", "Spirit Reaper" is destroyed after it is Special Summoned because it is targeted by an effect.

I would like to point out that "Future Fusion" does not target the Fusion Monster in the Fusion Deck, nor the cards it sends to the Graveyard from the Deck.

skey23 said:
I would like to point out that "Future Fusion" does not target the Fusion Monster in the Fusion Deck, nor the cards it sends to the Graveyard from the Deck.
It does say "Select that 1 Fusion Monster... Special Summon the selected Fusion Monster", and "select" has always been associated with "target" before. It may not target the Fusion Material Monsters, but it does target the Fusion Monster.

Maruno said:
It does say "Select that 1 Fusion Monster... Special Summon the selected Fusion Monster", and "select" has always been associated with "target" before. It may not target the Fusion Material Monsters, but it does target the Fusion Monster.

But the "select" part comes after the "send cards to the graveyard", i.e. You begin resolving the effect before selecting the fusion mosnter, so it does not target at activation.

Although i would believe that it targets the Fusion monster after resolving and before summoning, I don't know of any situation where it would matter.

Maruno said:
But generally, the "select" should be at the beginning of the sentance, if not in a stand alone sentance at the begginng of the text. In this case, the "select" is part of the resolution of the effect, like Creature Swap. The it's Continuous Effect is targeting, akin to Call of the Haunted and Soul Ressurection.

Okay, it doesn't target at activation. But I say it is targeting during the few turns between activating (resolving, to be pedantic) the card and Fusion Summoning the monster.

DaGuyWitBluGlasses said:
Although i would believe that it targets the Fusion monster after resolving and before summoning, I don't know of any situation where it would matter.
Well, exactly. Except for, say, Overload Fusion Summoning the same monster, then trying to Future Fusion Summon it the few turns later. Could you Future Fusion Summon a different copy of the same monster, or must it be that exact card (that's already been Overload Fusion Summoned due to carelessness)?

Maruno said:
Well, exactly. Except for, say, Overload Fusion Summoning the same monster, then trying to Future Fusion Summon it the few turns later. Could you Future Fusion Summon a different copy of the same monster, or must it be that exact card (that's already been Overload Fusion Summoned due to carelessness)?

Referencing only one monster doesn't require targetting. E.G. Bottomless Trap Hole doesn't target, but it won't remove from play a different monster of the same name on the field.

I'm not sure if there's any continuous examples of that, though.

DaGuyWitBluGlasses said:
Referencing only one monster doesn't require targetting. E.G. Trap Hole doesn't target, but it won't remove from play a different monster of the same name on the field.

I'm not sure if there's any continuous examples of that, though.

I guess he's asking something similar to this situation....
I activate Future Fusion and send Cyber Dragon and four other machine-type monsters to the graveyard. I then select my Chimeratech Overdragon. I activate Overload and immediately summon Chimeratech Overdragon BY REMOVING FROM PLAY those same monsters I just sent to the graveyard.

Future Fusion's effect fissles at resolution because the cards required for it's effect are NO LONGER in the graveyard and as such, the player cannot summon a SECOND Chimeratech.

HorusMaster said:
Future Fusion's effect fissles at resolution because the cards required for it's effect are NO LONGER in the graveyard and as such, the player cannot summon a SECOND Chimeratech.
That explanation sounds wrong. The location of the Fusion Material Monsters should not affect the Special Summoning part of Future Fusion.

I was talking about having 2 copies of Chimeratech Overdragon in your Fusion Deck, and specifically targeting one of them with both Future Fusion and Overload Fusion. When Future Fusion tried to Special Summon, would it just Special Summon the next available copy of the same card, or must it be that exact card it selected previously?

I don't believe it fizzles either. The card just says put them in the graveyard, then nothing happens to them. I've had a judge ruling where they future fusion then Pot of Avarice, and the monster still comes to the field. I mean, there is a chance that the judge could be wrong, but the card doesnt say they have to stay in the grave

HorusMaster said:
I guess he's asking something similar to this situation....
I activate Future Fusion and send Cyber Dragon and four other machine-type monsters to the graveyard. I then select my Chimeratech Overdragon. I activate Overload and immediately summon Chimeratech Overdragon BY REMOVING FROM PLAY those same monsters I just sent to the graveyard.

Did you forget that "Chimeratch Overdragon" sends all cards on your side of the field to the Graveyard when it's Summoned? "Future Fusion" will "fizzle" because it's no longer on the field, not because the monsters are gone from the Graveyard.

You can use a card like "Call of the Haunted" to bring back one of the monsters sent to the Graveyard by "Future Fusion" and "Future Fusion" will still work to bring out the Fusion Monster selected. There's no text requiring the material monsters to remain in the Graveyard until the summon.

Maruno said:
That explanation sounds wrong. The location of the Fusion Material Monsters should not affect the Special Summoning part of Future Fusion.

I was talking about having 2 copies of Chimeratech Overdragon in your Fusion Deck, and specifically targeting one of them with both Future Fusion and Overload Fusion. When Future Fusion tried to Special Summon, would it just Special Summon the next available copy of the same card, or must it be that exact card it selected previously?
This is my take on it... I believe the effect is targeting due to the fact that the selection of the Material is not "random", and specifically geared to the Fusion Monster to be summoned, BUT, I think it is only targeting the Fusion Monster by name (as a reference for the material), and not the actual card itself, much like Mind Crush.

How do you just send arbitrary monsters to the Graveyard, and then search your Fusion Deck for a monster that might fit the criteria to be summoned?

You could very well send Barrel Dragon, Blowback Dragon, and x3 Cyber Dragon, and then you have four choices, but not really, because Gatling Dragon does not require a Cyber Dragon as part of its Material, and ONLY Chimeratech Overdragon fits the full description for ALL of the material sent.

No doubt that this will be attempted more than once, where someone will use Future Fusion and send monsters designed for a summon of Chimeratech Overdragon, and select something non-related, like Stream Gyroid, just to get access to their monsters in their Graveyard for something like Skull Lair Return (since it was a seemingly popular Deck Type after its Shonen Jump Boston Debut), and since it will be stated that it doesnt say in the ruling that you "can't", it will be argued over and over that you should be able to.

Getting back to the second part of the question, since the Fusion Monster selected is not actually being summoned for that turn Future Fusion is activated, it has more similarities to the statement I made about the Fusion Monster just being "referenced", rather than specifically targeted as, "This Monster MUST be summoned", to just simply, "One of these Monsters CAN and WILL be summoned". So, even though you have selected Chimeratech Overdragon, it is only by name, and not the specific 1 of 3 or 2 of 3, etc....

Kyhotae said:
Did you forget that "Chimeratch Overdragon" sends all cards on your side of the field to the Graveyard when it's Summoned? "Future Fusion" will "fizzle" because it's no longer on the field, not because the monsters are gone from the Graveyard.
I did, actually. Well, try Labyrinth Tank instead, then.

masterwoo0 said:
Getting back to the second part of the question, since the Fusion Monster selected is not actually being summoned for that turn Future Fusion is activated, it has more similarities to the statement I made about the Fusion Monster just being "referenced", rather than specifically targeted as, "This Monster MUST be summoned", to just simply, "One of these Monsters CAN and WILL be summoned". So, even though you have selected Chimeratech Overdragon, it is only by name, and not the specific 1 of 3 or 2 of 3, etc....
Well, yes, I did think it was like that. I just asked for completeness.

So, okay....You play Future Fusion and "select" 1 Chimeratech then you use overload to bring that same Chimeratech to the field, thus destroying the aforementioned Future Fusion. Why is Chimeratech (aka "that card") not destroyed by the effect of Future Fusion?

Future Fusion
Continuous Spell
Send, from your Deck to the Graveyard, Fusion Material Monsters that are listed on a Fusion Monster Card, and select that 1 Fusion Monster from your Fusion Deck. Special Summon the selected Fusion Monster during your 2nd Standby Phase after this card's activation. (This Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon.) When this card is removed from the field, destroy that monster. When the monster is destroyed, destroy this card.

Back