OMG the actual db movie trailer

I wouldn't say it looks awful. I'd say it doesn't look right in a lot of key places. It looks like they're changing the origin quite a bit, which, I would have thought by now, movie makers would have learned is the worst thing you can do when doing an already popular story for the screen. If the story was strong enough that you thought it would make a good movie, why change it? If it's not good enough, go write something better.

I didn't really watch a lot of Dragonball, only Dragonball Z, so I've never really understood the Piccolo origin too much. But I don't recall a shape shifting chick. I guess I don't mind Bulma with guns. Truthfully, I'm surprised she never shot anybody in the series. But I do tend to be forgiving when the girl is as smokin' as this one. Have you seen Chi Chi? Jiminy!

chi-chi.jpg

I'm sure I would have written this differently. It would have probably gone with a more ethnic looking Goku, maybe someone with a more Filipino look. Kinda that cross between Hispanic and Asian. I just feel it would have suited the character better. Of course, they had to get someone who could act, but in the trailers at least, this guy just doesn't exude the machismo/goofy/tough guy manner you expect of Goku. Maybe he's more convincing once we see him acting, but I get the feeling he's going to play it straightforward.

I'll reserve judgment till I see the end product though. I might be an alright movie, and the fighting and special effects look on point. What's going to make or break this with the audience though, is how true they are to the spirit of the story. If they twist it too much, even people who have no idea what the original Dragonball story is about will sense something missing in the film (which is what happened with Electra) and it just won't resonate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hrm, I just read the movie is being directed by Stephen Chow of Kung Fu Hustle and Shoalin Soccer fame. Maybe it won't be that bad after all.

i don't like the way they chsnged the origins of the dragonballs they were made by komi
not 7 mystical people.
the origins of piccolo have probaly changed as well because hes coming back for revenge against the earth.
dragonball goku kills the demon king piccolo then king piccolo spits his escence out as an egg which. grows up to be the kick ass piccolo who becomes piccolo.
there is an episode after raddites dies bulma is trying to fix a scouter and gets mocked by master roshi so she pulls out a machine gun and shoots the gun origionaly belonged to launch.

They've taken the mystical Dragonball series and turned it into a generic "only you can save the world from aliens by using magical powers" film.

As you've said, they've changed the basics dramatically, as such films are wont to do. It's annoying when that happens, because the series did quite well as it was (under-exaggeration), and changes made by the film companies will just be to remove all the deepness and twist it so 5-year-olds can understand it. Bad idea, because then it's nothing more than another generic martial arts/magical powers film. I'm surprised Jackie Chan isn't in it.

It'll be hard to watch this film without thinking, "nope, that's not Dragonball" (I only saw the first bit of the series, and from Z onwards, so I don't know for sure how everything goes on), and that's unfair. We shouldn't be looking at this as an homage to the series or an adaptation - it's way too different for that. We should be looking at this as perhaps a derivative, an "inspired by" film, and judge it accordingly (inevitably as "not great"). Sorry, but it's true - it may be flashy, but there's bound to be some key factor or seven that's missing. After all, why have integrity when you could show off Bulma's Capsule Corp technology and green aliens and glowing hands?

the capsule corp bit looks good but its a quad it should be a hover scooter.
also piccolo apparently isn't going to br green he's going to look like this
WHY:eek:

there are parts where he appears to be green but when hes the energy blast he looks pale and where are his antenie.

and why couldn't they find an actor with a beard to play master roshi.

you also buy the original dragonball movie on amazon.com it's called dragonball ultimate edition.

Or just had Chow grow a beard. I really didn't think we were going to see Piccolo's antennae, even in a good movie. Though, would have been nice to see that world where dogs are policemen, dinosaurs graze like cattle and your boss is literally a pig.

i don't see why piccolo can't have antenie there some realy amazing cgi movies out there. a costume would be easy to make if they want to be cheap they could glue to spring onions to his forehead.

also it appears that master roshie is living on a farm and not an island.

also where the other main characters like krillin, yamcha, tien, chichi, how about launch/lunch.

i know it's not out yet but i can still complain about it.

i just hope goku does'nt pull out the kaio-kan and the spirit bomb. because we all know that he learns while with king kia in dragonball z. hopefully he wont go super saiyan of any level especially gts level 4.

bulma use's guns a lot a gragonball she tends to shoot goku when they first meet.
why does piccolo have a samuria sword he's not yajorobi.

Well, they probably didn't do antenna because in real life it would have gone over like Huge Jackman in yellow spandex. Like I said, that's not a detail I expected to stay and am kind of glad they didn't try.

I think Master Roshi still lives on an island. Kinda makes sense that if you live that isolated, you'd have a farm or something.

I saw a picture of Yamcha somewhere, and the Asian dude they cast looks more like his character then any one else. Well see if the others are in it.

Back