Psi-Blocker

HorusMaster

Since I can't find any rulings on Psi-Blocker anywhere, I figured maybe someone here might help.

Had a situation during a duel:
Player A has Treeborn Frog in the graveyard and no S/T cards on the field.
Player B summons Psi-Blocker during Main Phase One and declares Treeborn Frog. He then activates Brain Research Lab and proceeds to run up 7 counters on the card. During Main Phase 2, he summons a second Psi-Blocker and declares Brain Research Lab.

Player B contends that Treeborn Frog cannot be summoned from the graveyard during Player A's next Standby Phase and also contends that since Brain Research Lab was declared with the second Psi-Blocker, BRL loses ALL it's counters and he won't take damage if it is destroyed.

Player A contends that Psi-Blocker cannot stop Treeborn Frog since he is not using the effect but is an inherent summon. Player A also contends that Psi-Blocker doesn't negate the effect of BRL, just that the effect cannot be used and as such, the counters should remain and if it is removed from the field, the player controlling the card takes the damage.

How would you rule these two situations?

"Psi-Blocker" works the same way as "Prohibition", minus that whole "already on the field" part.

You cannot activate the monster's effect, and you cannot use its inherent condition to Summon it. "Treeborn Frog" Special Summons itself through an effect which starts a Chain Link (NOT an inherent condition), so you can't activate the effect.

Also, "Psi-Blocker"/"Prohibition" causes the card to lose all its effect. It doesn't negate anything, but the outcome is ~basically the same. "Brain Research Lab" loses its effects, including its effects which allow it to hold Counters and its effect which inflicts damage when destroyed. So, all the Counters are removed, and it doesn't inflict damage.

"Psi-Blocker" works the same way as "Prohibition", minus that whole "already on the field" part.

Also, "Psi-Blocker"/"Prohibition" causes the card to lose all its effect. It doesn't negate anything, but the outcome is ~basically the same. "Brain Research Lab" loses its effects, including its effects which allow it to hold Counters and its effect which inflicts damage when destroyed. So, all the Counters are removed, and it doesn't inflict damage.

Psi-Blocker's effect states that the effect cannot be "used" until the end of the opponent's next turn. It doesn't say anything about "losing" it's effect. My interpretation is that Psi-Blocker prevents a player from using it's effect after declaration, especially since EITHER player can use the effect of Brain Research Lab. I also contend that you cannot declare a card that has already used it's effect. Much like a player conducting his Battle Phase and then trying to activate Soul Exchange during Main Phase 2.

Psi-Blocker's effect states that the effect cannot be "used" until the end of the opponent's next turn. It doesn't say anything about "losing" it's effect. My interpretation is that Psi-Blocker prevents a player from using it's effect after declaration, especially since EITHER player can use the effect of Brain Research Lab.
Again, it's like "Prohibition". Compare it to:
A declared Monster Card can be Special Summoned from the Deck, Graveyard, or Removed Zone. If this happens, the Monster Card's effects are not applied, and it cannot attack or change its battle position manually. Any maintainence costs must still be paid.​
The effects aren't applied. If you Summon "Jinzo", then "Prohibition" will prevent the Trap Card-negating effect from being applied, even though neither player "uses" the effect. The effect isn't being applied, so it's not there.

The same thing would apply to "Psi-Blocker". You wouldn't apply the effects of "Brain Research Lab", so the effects aren't there, including the effect which lets it hold Counters.
I also contend that you cannot declare a card that has already used it's effect. Much like a player conducting his Battle Phase and then trying to activate Soul Exchange during Main Phase 2.
You're confusing activation requirements with effects. Instead, compare it to activating a Spell/Trap Card in your Standby Phase, and then activating "Cold Wave", which is entirely legal.

Back