RPG Assistance Needed

Digital Jedi

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone who has some experience, whether professional or casual, in RPG creation, I could use your assistance in an upcoming project here on CoG.

I need volunteers who would be willing to help me develop statistics for characters, weapons and various item types. Character design isn't needed at this juncture, as I'll be handling that aspect, but I know nothing about proper balance of stats and would appreciate the input. If enough people get back to me on this, I'll set up a private forum where we can flesh these things out in more detail and I'll explain more of what I need.

Note that if we can get this developed in a timely manner, the script to integrate the RPG into our forum is already in place. We just need the details above to make it happen.

Sounds interesting. I'll have a shot at it if no one else is interested.

As far as my experience goes, I have none. The most I've done is invent a few Yu-Gi-Oh! cards and a very small number of cards for other TCGs I invented (see the wiki).

On the other hand, having been to one of the top universities in the country to study the most science-y of sciences (physics, of course) for four years, I'd like to think I'm good with numbers. Always have been, actually, and I think I can get something decent out of a system.

The main way to get a properly balanced set of values, though, is to playtest over and over and over again. That's the part of the game-making process that takes over 90% of the time. If you don't do it enough to work out all the kinks, well, you end up with the Gearfried Dagger Elma combo, and just Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End.

Bear in mind I will be inventing a fish-based weapon:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SSOWORzw4]Fish-Slapping Dance[/ame]
:cool:

I'm glad you chimed in Maruno, because this particular RPG is based on a theme that you're more familiar with than I and that might give you an edge on creating stats. We probably should have a dry run once we establish our first scenarios, then just reset everything before our formal opening.

Played numerous RPG's throughout history, but object stats are really just a function of personal stats. Once you nail down how you are going to track personal stats, weapons are merely a factor of form (speed) and potential (damage) via skill (bonuses/modifiers).

Let me know if you need any assistance.

Sounds good, guys. I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with RPGs to help flesh this out. I'm glad to be getting some feedback. I think we've got a good skeletal structure in place, and I might even be able to let you do some editing to the RPG directly. I'll explain more once I get the private forum set up.

Back