Fantasy The Story of Zera

squid

removed from play
With permission from my fellow Monarchs, I am releasing the first in my series of stories to the public. I hope you enjoy

The Story of Zera: Part 1

An empty dawn rises slowly. The dull reddish light that weakly penetrates the room almost seems to beg the pardon of he whom it awakes. A young man lays in miniature on an enormous bed in the center of a circular room. As the sleeping man is dwarfed by the size of the bed he is on, so is the bed dwarfed by the size of the room in which it resides. The walls and floor of the room are of crudely hewn blocks of stone, and almost black in appearance. The sheets of the bed are also black. The only objects in the room not that dismal shade, are the bedposts at the four corners of the bed.

The posts of the bed are intricately carved spirals made from the trunks of young brown trees. The roots of these trees are not planted into the ground, but instead are laced together, almost delicately, to form a cradle that supports the bed itself. The tops of the trees, which must be supporting the bed, disappear into a darkness that the light dares not penetrate. The foot of the bed has steps, also formed from the woven roots of the tree-posts; those that seem suspended magically above the floor.

A soft wind whispers through the one apparent opening, the same door through which the light has guiltily crept. It is the wind, and not the light that wakes him, quickly, yet calmly, from sound slumber. His hair and brows are black; his skin is tanned from endless journeys. The muscles that ripple beneath show the grace and surety of one who communes with the animals of the forest. He rises, naked, from the bed and looks carefully around him. The look in his eyes is not curious. Nor is it fearful, defiant, or angry. They are simply"¦there. Looking about. Almost soulless.

He begins to descend the steps at the foot of the bed, but notices that the wind which woke him carries a chill. Glancing about, he takes the only available cloth, the bed sheet itself and wraps it around his waist and carelessly slings it over his shoulder. The sheer size of the cloth causes it to drape behind him, a train fit for a sultan with twenty servants. But, he is unencumbered by the cloth and moves quickly towards the light and wind and the open door.

The door is merely an opening, arching above hem to a point nearly fifty feet above his head. Outside, there lies a balcony of a size more fitting to a stadium. Everything about him, since his awakening seems fit for a giant. The balcony is shaped like half of an oval, with a tapered point at the far end, reminiscent of the door's own shape. Nothing is visible on the balcony, save the dull gray stones. However, far in the distance the man spies movement and with but a moment's hesitation walks towards it.

He is almost upon it when he recognizes what he sees. It is a perfectly circular hole cut in the floor and lined with a much shinier and pure black stone, compared to the rest of the balcony. A sickly, oily mist rises and falls from the pit, the color changes from brown to violet with each twist and turn. Sparkles of yellow flash back and forth. With each step, the man finds fear creeping into his heart. The sounds that awoke him came from this mist. The wind took on the tune of crying, wailing,"¦screaming. He shivers and sinks to his knees. A cold knot of bile builds in his center, but he cannot resist another glance. That one glance tells him too much, and poses questions of its own. For the glints of yellow he saw become eyes. The mist becomes faces of tortured expressions, with yawning openings for where lips and mouths should have been. But worst, there was a figure at the base of the pit, visible only from the shoulders up, bathing.

"Begone". And like that, the sounds, the fear, the weakness, and the mist itself vanished. The young man rose quivering slightly to meet face on the devil before him. Instead, he saw simply another man. This man was definitely older than he, but it was impossible to define his age. He had a shaven head and shaven eyebrows. The only hair visible was a beard on his chin: black, wiry, unkempt, and so long it rested almost upon his waist. He was of average height, and average build. Brown eyes, and a soft mouth. But his skin changed shades as he moved from alabaster bluish-white to a golden tan that could only be brought about by hereditary. And his expression, though not malicious, was hard and cruel nonetheless.

He arose from the now clear waters of the pit and donned a dark brown robe, dirty and spotted with crust and filth. "Why bathe, if you are only to wear that?", asked the young man. "Why wake, if you are only to wear that?", was the reply. The shaven man circled the other, slowly, eyeing and judging him as if deciding whether he were a fish worth keeping or throwing back. "You strike a handsome pose, young lord." The robed man said, coming to a stop at the edge of the precipice, with his back to the vast, empty sky. "One worthy of Prince Baou himself, I might add".

"You address me as "˜lord'. Who am I?", the young man asked. "Do you know me?"

"No. You are a guest. And you shall be treated as a lord, as long as you are here." With this, the robed man gave a gentle nod of his head. "But, do I have a name? Where do I come from? Why am I here? Where is "˜here'", the young man pressed.
With a smile, the robed one beckoned the young one to him, at the balcony's edge. "Those are a great many questions. I cannot answer all. I do not know your name. I, and others, will address you as 'Lord', unless you desire a different name. You came from the land of man. We both did, really. Though, it's been a long time since I've tasted its air.

You are here to learn. Like many before you, you have come in search of power. You are a duelist, a warrior. This is but one Realm in which for you to hone your skills. This particular Realm is not an easy place to learn, but those who pass through its final gates are among the greatest known. You want to know where you are? Look." The robed one spreads his arm gesturing towards the expanse. A clear reddish sky overlooks dark mountains, oozing volcanoes, crags, cliffs, castles, rivers blood red, and numerous villages in between. "You are in the land of the Dark Ruler, Ha Des be his name. You are in Hell."

Panic comes into the young man's eyes for a split instant, then is quickly covered with a look of hardened resolve. Not before it was noticed, however. "Its smart to have some fear, Lord. Arrogance will not do you anything. Temper your emotions though. Fear becomes caution, anger into cunning. Keep the fear and anger, but only as objects that you fill your opponent's with, in battle".

Lord turns from the landscape to look back at the tower from which he came. "Is that His chamber, then, in which I slept? Am I of that great importance?"

"HA! His chamber? No one knows where that is. Or, even if He sleeps. Arrogance such as that might make him laugh before he pulls out your entrails". The robed one strokes his beard thoughtfully. "Hmm, though it might simply make him laugh just to pull out entrails. So, it's really hard to say. Either way, you will be in pain. I told you: temper your emotions. Arrogance concerning His Majesty will be your undoing."

"We are actually in the abode of he who stands guard over the former King of this land. I am not permitted to say his name, but his title is the Invader of Darkness. He is able to travel deep into the lack of light, and it is he who guards the, now, Dark King of the Abyss. Enough questions for now. We must dress you properly to go about. We can't simply stay here. Gracious as the Invader has been to allow you to rest upon your entrance, here, it is not likely that he will be pleased to see two humans lounging about his quarters as if it were their own. Now, come."

"Wait! Just one more question for now", Lord demanded. "What is your name?" "I have no name now", the robed one replied. "I am simply the Keeper of the Asylum. However, if you must, I was known in the world of man, eons ago, by the name Hunter. Others here know that name too and can lead you to me, if you have need."

"Now, for the last time: stop talking and let's go. I am bored of waiting. Go to the pool and spit in it twice. Then simply jump in. Like this." With that, Hunter took a quick breath, spit twice into the pool, and walked forward dropping silently into the pool. The water was not disturbed in the slightest, beyond the ripples made by the spitting. Lord had just barely caught the sight of a blue hair light that appeared between Hunter's body and the pool.

Lord dropped to his knees and put his face close to the pool's edge. He spit twice into the water, then carefully lowered his fingertips towards the water's surface. Within bare centimeters of touching, a faint blue line grew from the center of his fingertips and began to spread. What started slowly, suddenly jumped within a blink of an eye, and Lord felt himself immediately pulled into a vacuum. Within an instant the balcony was quiet.

The weak reddish light of the sky never grew stronger, nor did it dare to intrude further into the quarters of the Invader. Slowly a whispering wind began to cry, then wail, and finally scream. The mist that Hunter had caused to vanish returned, twisting and turning its smoky, oily coils over the pool at the ledge overlooking Hell.

The Story of Zera: Part 2

Lord slammed himself into the floor of a room at the very foot of Hunter, who stood impassively staring at him. "Get up and dressed. Here are your clothes". Hunter gestured to one wall in which a variety of garments were folded on shelves or hanging by hooks. Lord looked at the huge amount of clothes, then at Hunter, then back at the clothes. Hunter remained silent, like he was studying him. Lord decided that he was supposed to choose what he wanted from among them. He chose plain pantaloons and a pair of supple deerskin boots of forest green.

Ever since awaking, Lord had felt as if the air was stuffy, so he chose to ignore the stacks of long shirts and proceeded to pick out an armor chestpiece with flared shoulder cuffs and an inner cloth lining. "Interesting choice.", Hunter commented. "Are you expecting to head into war with the Dark Ruler?" Hunter's voice sounded mocking, but there was a much different look on his face. Lord couldn't identify it, so he passed it by. "Earlier you called me a duelist and warrior, and that I was here to train. I figure that I should prepare myself for "¦.whatever", Lord shrugged. "Besides, this armor will be cooler."

"Good!" Hunter exclaimed, "That is the kind of spirit is exactly what I was hoping to hear. This is not a land that is forgiving of weakness. Presenting yourself with strength will keep the lesser demons and fiends from attempting too much mischief. If they do bother you, feel free to kill them. All except the Winged Minions, the blue ones with vertical mouths. They usually carry messages. If you really want to kill one, squeeze the information out of it first."

"Now, here", Hunter reached on a shelf and pulled out a green helmet with upturned horns, and a pair of matching gauntlets. "This will complete the chestpiece and help hide your appearance. Upper eschelon demons detest the sight of man's flesh and will also be tempted to harm you.

"Why do you help me?" questioned Lord. Hunter replied, "To give you revenge". Lord's stomach churned vaguely at the reply. He felt an anger within him that had no cause. It surprised and scared him, for it was only upon mention of vengeance that Lord was even aware that he possessed such feelings. "Why would I want to reven"¦", began Lord, but was interrupted by a Hunter he had not witnessed before. "What are you: A child? Stop asking stupid questions! Stop and look within yourself. Do you truly have no recollection of what could possibly make you want to wreak vengeance?" Hunter was fairly drooling and was consumed by such a rolling fury that he seemed to glow with a fiery aura in front of Lord. "Bah! Enough." Hunter turned with billowing cape and began stalking out of the room, with Lord hurried behind like a pup after its owner. Hunter continued to speak aloud, but without any slowing of pace or glance in Lord's direction. "I take you to the Looking Glass. You shall see the whole of things there. But by the time we arrive at the Glass's gate, you must have some picture in your mind as to what it is you seek. Do not open your mouth to me until you have a reckoning of purpose. Search yourself deep. Mankind such as ourselves, does not seek revenge unless an injustice has been felt. What could possibly cause you such pain, as to send you here?" And with that Hunter fell silent and walked on.

Lord followed as best he could. Keeping pace with Hunter proved difficult when tormented by his own thoughts. Lord traced his feelings of anger back to their source. Images flashed disconcertingly behind his mind's eye: fire, swords, screaming. There was armor marching towards him. Lord felt as if he were pinned to the ground and covered by something heavy. There was a child running from shelter to shelter, with a goblin chasing it. Burning thatch roofs, more screaming, horses hoofs pounding, and metal clashing from all around his hiding place. The last image that flashed across was that of a woman, being impaled upon a pole, and hoisted up and left to dangle while still alive.

Lord was so absorbed by his own thoughts that he walked fully into Hunter, who grabbed and held him by his shoulders, half supporting him and half attacking him. "You sweat, boy," said Hunter. There was a feral gleam in his eyes. "Do you have it? Is there a picture in your mind as to why you are here?" Lord was barelyble to nod, so consumed was he by the fire in his mind. "Good," said Hunter, "because we are here".

The Story of Zera: Part 3

Lord looked up to see that they stood before an oddity of a place. It was a house of sorts, made up entirely of towers and battlements, connected by walkways. The base of the building was a massive cylinder with a single door, and as it traveled up, it kept expanding and dividing into smaller and thinner towers. The overall impression was that of an artificial tree, whose branches were completely vertical.

Hunter grabbed the gate that surrounded the base and gave it a shake to rattle the hinges. Almost immediately, two giant orcs came barreling out of the door of the place and ran straight towards the humans. Their charge barely stopped at the iron bars, where they stood heaving and glaring at the two. Hunter looked to the one on the left. "Tell the Baron that the human Keeper of the Asylum has brought a guest, as was commanded by the Dark One. Your master should be expecting us," he said. The orc turned and ran back inside the castle as though it was on fire. It returned in an impossibly short amount of time, panting and heaving as before. Without a word it opened one half of the gate. On that cue, the other orc opened the other half. Both monsters waited and glared maliciously at the two mortal men that passed through the gate and the door beyond, into the darkness of the castle.

Lord followed Hunter up a winding twisting staircase. There were no windows or candles, but the passage way was well lit. Their footsteps were clouded by a worn out red velvet rug that lined the steps. Eventually they came to a stop at a circular foyer with an intricately carved wooden door. Without so much as a knock, Hunter pushed open the door. Immediately they were assaulted by a thousand lights from a thousand candles. Crystals broke the candlelight into a myriad of colors. Rugs and animal skins decorated the floors. And the walls were covered with hundreds of paintings and sculptures. The room was a large ballroom that had been overstuffed with an assortment of artworks, decorations and knick knacks. It looked more like a storehouse for the greedy.

As if to accentuate the image of greed, there was a large demon sitting at the far end of the room, at a feast, stuffing himself with fruits, fowl, and other delicacies. He wore a suit that was much to small for his girth, and a ridiculous little hat. Grease stains and, what Lord hoped was wine stains, covered the demon's chest and sleeves. Hunter walked quickly up to the demon and bowed his head. He waited in that position while the demon popped an entire roast duck into it's mouth and crunched on the bones. Lord quickly walked up behind Hunter and assumed a similar posture. Though the demon had been eyeing them since their entrance, it made no indication of acknowledging them until it had upended a carafe of wine straight from the bottle into its mouth, spilling rivulets down its chin. When finished, it turned in its chair.

"Keeper", it snorted. "Is this some tasty treat you bring to me? Or is this perhaps something more suited for my collection?" The demon chuckled at its joke and rapped its fingers upon a sword sheathed in its lap. "Neither, my lord Baron", replied Hunter. "You too are a keeper of all the fiendish treasures, are you not? We are here on His service, as you are well aware. This young warrior is here to seek the reflections of the Fiend's Mirror. Seeing as you have admitted us, I assume you were already aware of our mission. Is the Glass readily available, as was requested? Or, have you failed in that particular?" Hunter never raised his voice or eyes, but the sneer on his lips could be perceived by both Lord and the demon. The Baron clutched the sword's hilt so tightly that the sculpted eyes on the crossguard opened to reveal some living presence within the sword itself. Lord crouched slightly on the balls of his feet, prepared to lunge, should the demon attempt to strike.

But the Baron made no move other than to squeeze and unsqueeze the sword hilt, cuaseing the eyes on the sword to water and tear. With a quick gesture towards the air, the Baron turned back to his feast, ignoring the two men. Hunter looked up towards the ceiling, and Lord's eyes followed his gaze. Some sort of bird was flitting around back and forth. Hunter looked around the room and headed towards one point that caught his attention. Lord followed, glancing back at the Baron occasionally. They stopped in front of a bird stand.

When Hunter let out a whistle, a large orange eagle flew down from the rafters, with a large mirror clutched in its talons. It landed on the bird stand, balancing on one leg, while the other supported the glass. It spoke to them with a voice of rough gravel. "What do thee seek from me?", it asked. Hunter replied, " This one here seeks the past.", gesturing at Lord. The eagle turned to Lord and continued, "Ist the past a place to see?" Lord stared back into the beady eyes and answered. "The past is full of pain, but I must know why."

âœThen see, man, the reason for thy pain."

The Story of Zera: Part 4

Lord peered into the Glass. Rather than a reflection, swirling mists led deeper into the distance. Then, growing larger with each breath, came a fire, and the sounds of screams. Lord felt himself pulled deeper and deeper with in the mirror. Lord coughed and choked. It was hard to breath. Something heavy was lying on top of him and he could not move. It was a wagon. It had overturned and was laying on top of him, pinning him to the ground. He was a child again, no more than a few years. The wagon had toppled over into a ditch. Through the rear of the wagon, he could peer back at the village from which he had been fleeing. Soldiers were ransacking the place. Thatch huts were being set on fire and, as the people hiding inside fled, they were cut down by masked men. Only the polished sheen and matching armor of the men gave them away as soldiers of some army. Men, women, friends with whom he ran in the fields, all were being hacked to pieces, set on fire, or shot in the back with arrows as they ran. Men and goblins worked together to round up anyone who attempted to hide or fight. There was no rounding up of prisoners. It was a slaughter. Above it all rode a soldier in shining silver and gold armor, and long blond hair. When his face turned in Lord's direction, he thought he saw the soldier's face morph and shift into an image with a crown and long teeth. Then it shifted back and all he saw was the hard grizzled face of a man.

He couldn't breathe. Fear and smoke were preventing him from screaming out. He could only watch as his home and everyone he knew were razed to the ground. The smoke grew thicker, stinging his eyes and filling his lungs. Just before he succumbed to the smoke, he looked up again and saw the soldiers lifting several living people up on soles on which they had been impaled or crucified. His mother's screams, as she too was set on fire, was the last thing he heard before passing out.

When Lord awoke, he was curled in a ball, shaking on an animal skin rug. He looked up to see both Hunter and the Baron standing over him. Hunter's hands were hidden in his dirty robes. The Baron was resting one his Fiend Sword. Both man and demon stood impassively, making no attempt to help Lord, so he struggled to get himself to his feet. "Did find your answers, young lord?" asked Hunter. "There were soldiers.", said Lord. "I was young and they burned my village. Their leader"¦he, he had long hair and armor. But, his face"¦ It"¦"

"That was Freed", interrupted the Baron. "He is a general for the human Emperor. Their Emperor has made an allegiance with the Agents of God, so that he could conquer and enslave the mortal lands. They are battling against the hordes of the Beasts and their kin. All the intelligent Beasts, Saurs, and Forest creatures have united with the ancient Dragons. There is war all over the lands. Other factions have attempted to remain neutral, such as His Majesty, the Dark Ruler Ha Des. He rather enjoys the chaos and sees no need to take sides. Even tribes of humans decided not to follow their human emperor. Your village, the tribe of Zera, was one of many such villages which co-existed with the Beasts and Forest creatures peacefully. For that very reason, the Emperor deemed you traitors, and sent Freed to wipe you all out as an example to all others who sought to oppose or deny him."

"You are the last of the tribe of Zera", continued Hunter. "We continued to watch the Mirror after you passed out. You managed to free yourself eventually from under the wagon. You grew up in constant search for every possible technique that a warrior could use. And at each step of the way, the Dark Ruler watched, as I am sure did many other gods. Warriors like you with destinies yet to be written are rare, and of much interest to the higher powers. You were quite accomplished in many forms of battle, yet ever unsatisfied. After days of wandering through untraveled areas of the Great Forest, you came upon a forgotten temple. Here and there exist such temples in which a pilgrim can find altars to each of the deities that exist, not just one. In this communal temple you chose to pray at the altar of the Statue of the Wicked. You prayed to the Dark Ruler himself, and he listened. Now you are here. He is offering you an opportunity that is unparalleled by any ever offered to mortal man before. Not even the sacrifice of the human priest who summoned the Terrible one is equal to the chance that nowlays before you. Do you accept, my Lord?"

The Story of Zera: Part 5

Lord steeled himself. "Call me Zera", he said. "I recall much of my past now that you remind me. My own name is lost to me. But the others of Zera beckon me to fufill my promise. What is this opportunity you speak of?"

Hunter glanced at the Baron. The Baron nodded in return and left to return to his feast. Hunter beckoned to Zera to follow him. They left the abode of the Baron, trailed closely by the two Orcs, who slammed the gate shut when they crossed the threshold.

"Where are we going?", asked Zera.

"I cannot take you all the way to the end", said Hunter, "but I have been instructed to set you on the path. I will show you where to go, and give you the instructions. From there you will be alone. You must prove your valor and loyalty to the Dark Ruler. If you pass the test, then you will be granted immense strength. You will receive the power of the Daemonkind itself. Wherever you step, your enemies shall quake. Their own strength will be weakened. Their allies will abandon them and die. Freed himself will be hard pressed to hold an entire army against you."

Hunter and Zera continued to walk through twisted alleys and streets towards the edge of the city as Hunter explained in more detail all of what the Dark Ruler was offering to Zera. When they reached the walls of the city, Hunter led Zera through a small gate to the outside. There waiting was a small goblin holding a leash to a monster that was half machine, half beast. "These beasts sometimes travel through the doorways of worlds to here. As a Beast, it should be willing to follow your commands. We call them Crazy Beasts", said Hunter. He pointed off into the distance.

"Ride it south, in that direction, to the second largest city in the Kingdom of Hell: Pandemonium. It is ruled over by the Archfiends. They are purist demons. They wish to go into open three way war against the other two warring factions. Rebellious at times, they are still subjects of the Dark Ruler. Go there, to the Terrorking himself. Show absolutely no fear. If any Archfiend tests you to battle, kill them. Even if it be the Infernal Queen. However, never raise your hand against the Terrorking or you will die. When you have gained his ear, you must go before the main Altar of Tribute, in the central catacombs of Pandemonium. You must sacrifice whatever the Terrorking commands you to, and you will gain the power discussed."

Hunter looked closely at Zera for a moment. Then, in an unusually humane gesture, Hunter offered his hand. "I envy you, my lord Zera", he said. "Your path may not be easy, but you are destined to paths far greater than I will ever reach, despite 165 years that I have served as the Keeper of the Asylum, here in this domain." Zera was not sure which astonished him more: the offer of the handshake or the admission that Hunter had lived far beyond the mortal span.

After a moment to consider, Zera decided to simply take his hand. "I will not fail", he promised. "Freed and the Emperor will die. I will not let their actions go unpunished". With that, Zera took the reigns of the Crazy Beast and mounted. With one glance at Hunter, Zera wheeled around and began his final quest towards the city of Pandemonium.

When he was nothing but a speck of dust on the reddish sands, Hunter began to chuckle, with a sinister gleam in his eye. The tiny goblin beside him also started to cackle maniacally until Hunter snatched him from the ground and with one seamless movement, tore the creature's head from its body. Pouring its blood into a pool, Hunter dipped his two fingers into it, tracing a few quick arcane symbols while muttering gutteral sounds. A tiny blue Winged Minion rose out of the pool. It grew larger as it rose, until it was half the size of the man. Hunter whispered a few commands to the Minion and then sent it on its way to the Dark Ruler.

The End

Back