Fantasy The Test of the Monarchs Part 1

He stared out into the bleak, lifelessness of the Different Dimension, and sighed. Caius was exhausted, barely able to steer the D.D. Scout Plane along the only safe route, when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He glanced up to see D. D. Survivor standing beside him,
“Sir, I can take over for you. I know you are still tired from dealing with Zork yet again, and the Maiden is waiting for you…”
“Thank you, Survivor… I’m sorry I almost got your siblings killed…”
“It wasn’t your fault Sire… it’s was Zork, and we all have you to thank for freeing us. Without your help, I doubt the Dark Master would have been so… easily persuaded to let us go.”
“It was no trouble. You are one of the few creatures in this world of ours that I can call friend. Now, I should be getting back to the Maiden, as you so kindly pointed out.”
The D.D. Survivor smiled, “She sent me up here with the message sir… although I was coming forward to relieve you anyway…”
Caius chuckled, “Thank you…” He got slowly to his feet, and moved to the back, his tattered cape feeling all too heavy at the moment.

The door slide open automatically, and after taking a step into the room, he paused. The glow of several candles flickered in the darkness, lending an odd sense of comfort for the Shadow Monarch. The Maiden of Macabre lay beneath the black and deep purple silk covered of the bed, asleep. Her normally pale skin was only a part of her magic; in real life, her skin was warm, and the color of honey. He lifted his hands and took off his helmet, revealing a middle aged man with dark hair, and almond colored skin. He placed his helmet, and gauntlets into the special chest at the foot of their bed; she had already placed her scythe inside. The armor and cape he placed on it’s stand in the corner, beside his wife’s kimono. Still in his normal clothes, he slide the back of one finger down the Maiden’s cheek,
“Took you long enough, my love.” She said, her eyes closed.
He chuckled, “Sorry to keep you waiting, my dear. I’m glad the Survivor came when he did; I think I might have scent us careening into a mountain or something. From the feel of it, the gate is nearby.”
She moaned softly as she moved to one side for him, “Good… I want to get home as soon as possible… I do admit the Different Dimension is so… us, and it was a good idea for a Honey Moon… but you failed to mention--”
“That I Banished Dark Master Zork here after his attempt on Egypt?” He got redressed in his night clothes, and pulled back the covers,
“Yes about that… I thought Atem and those children defeated him?”
He wrapped his arm around her waist, “They did… but there were still remnants of him, Including a small piece of the Theif King embedded within the Millennium Ring. He reappeared in the Dark Realm, and I dealt with him. I didn’t expect him to be able to do so much… harm in the Different Dimension… foolish to underestimate him…”
The Maiden rolled over to face him and kissed him,
“You are not… Zork shouldn’t have as much power as he does now… not after so much of it was lost in the Human World… It’s troubling to me…”
“Me as well, my Dark Blossom… let’s sleep on it for now…”
“Yes… let’s…”

Caius felt warm fingers running through his hair, and woke to find The Maiden awake, and smiling at him.
“What?”
“Nothing… no one would guess we looked like this beneath the helm and make-up, would they?” She asked.
“No… I don’t think they would… but we have to keep it that way. If they know we are mere ‘mortals’, they would never respect us… besides… both of us know the secret behind our powers…”
She nodded, running her hand up to the thin line around her neck. She felt the power pulsing where she’d lost her head mere hours before being reborn as the Maiden of Macabre. She felt him move, and pull her to him, his warmth barely combatting the chill that had settled in her heart.
“I don’t want anyone to know… those who we’ve befriended… how will they react seeing us like that…” She stared up into his eyes,
He kissed her forehead, “They will understand that, if need be… we will become something stronger to defend them…”
“I hope so… something is wrong… I can feel it… the other wives are seeing things in their own realms… and they know their husbands can tell what’s going on…”
Caius nodded, “If you’re asking me if I can feel something is wrong, than no… if you’re asking do I know, without a doubt something is amiss… than yes, I do…”
She nodded, “What do we do Caius?”
“Wait and see… and talk to Kozaky… if we can get him out of his laboratory long enough, that is…”
She persued her lips, “He still working on the Giant Kozaky of his?”
“Yes… and it’s been advanced since we made that deal with the Perfect Machine King… it actually doesn’t almost kill the person, or Kozaky, that’s running it…”
“Really?” she asked.
“Well… I hope so… I really would prefer not to see a more powerful version with everything the same… including the look…”
She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear, “Caius… do you really trust him? I mean… Mobius is still livid about what he did to Gagagigo…”
“And I keep telling him, Kozaky wasn’t finished before he had to remove him… the Invader of Darkness was attacking Kozaky’s lab at the time, and Gagagigo wasn’t ready yet…”
“Yes… but now he’s gone forever… Freed is angry with Kozaky because of it, and you for not getting rid of him when you had the chance to… Gagagigo and Freed were friend’s remember?”
“I know, I know… but it wasn’t Kozaky’s fault… and Gogiga Gagagigo did defeat the invader…”
The Maiden gave Caius a searing look, “At the cost of his soul, Caius! There is no comparison…”
“I… I’m sorry… it’s just everyone blames him or his protege, the Magical Scientist for everything… and only a very small fraction of it was their fault…”
“That doesn’t help Gagagigo… he’s imprisoned at the bottom of Water realms ocean, deep within one of the Merpeople’s dungeons… he hasn’t seen the light of day for years…”
“I know… but he refuses to duel me and I know I could give him back his soul… I’m positive…”
“You can’t make him do what he doesn’t want to do… he killed the Invader with his bare hands. The Invader disappeared and then… Gogiga Gagagigo went on his rampage.”
“I’m aware of that… but do you know why he went on a rampage, almost killing his beloved Eria?”
“Because he--”
“Was possessed and still is possessed by the Invader of Darkness’ Soul…”
“What?!” The Maiden asked.
“The Invader of Darkness does not conquer a world through brute force, rather, he conquers it by possessing the strongest beings in that world and using them to destroy it… although his counterpart, the Protector of Light should have stopped him… if he wasn’t so busy trying to take over the Light Realm…”
“So… it was Kuraz who let the Invader in here?”
“He didn’t let The Invader enter this dimension… he just didn’t try to stop him…”
“Gogiga Gagagigo has been saying things in his cell… they think he’s gone mad…”
“He fights with himself?”
“Yes… Eria is distraught… I think she blames you as much as Freed does…”
“I wouldn’t be surprised… but can she get us close to him?”
“I don’t see why not… although the ‘us’ part would be a bit hard…”
“Yeah… Mobius still won’t talk to me…”
“We can try… but first I wish to see Little Nemuriko first…”
“Of course dear… I want to see our daughter as much as you do…”
“No… more… she’s got you wrapped around her little finger…”
“She’s my first, and possibly will be my only daughter… cut me a little slack…”
“Mmm… when I act like this over our son, don’t say a word, understand?”
“Yes dear…”

As the D.D. Scout landed in the Hanger bay of Caius’ castle, a shadow appeared from the wall. The Maiden took a step back gasping,
“Oh… Emissary… you frightened me…”
The Emissary of the Afterlife chuckled, “I apologize my mistress. Nurse Ridificule the Fallen wishes to know if you two will be going anywhere soon and if so, for how long…”
The Maiden smiled, “Please, tell your girlfriend you both can have the night off for your three year anniversary…” She lifted a small bag of coins and placed them into the Emissary's skeletal hands, “On us of course…”
The Emissary bowed, “Thank you mistress, and Sir… also… Mobius sent the Jowls of Dark Demise with a message… he believes your suspicions are indeed correct and he apologizes for not believing you…”
Caius raised his eyebrow inside the helm, “What changed his mind?”
“Gogiga Gagagigo tried to kill Eria… with an attack Mobius saw the Invader use…”
“What?!” Caius asked, stepping forward.
“Is she alright?” The Maiden asked.
“Yes… but Darc seems to have come to the same conclusion… and he is waiting in your Study sire…”
“Thank you Emessary… and please enjoy your night would you?”
“Thank you sir, and I will have no trouble enjoying tonight thanks… farewell…” The Emessary passed through the wall, and was gone.

The Castle was massive, housing several hundred libraries, armories, bedrooms, staircases, and a generator, powered by lightning, that Brron the mad king of Dark World had given them. It also housed several thousand spirits, some past owners, others… past victims of Caius’s predecessors. As he entered the main hall, Mefist, one of the Generals of the Underworld Queen, Dark Necrofear, bowed to him.
“Mefist… what can I do for you?” Caius asked.
“The Queen sends a message for you…”
The Maiden stepped forward and took the scroll Mefist held in his hand,
“Thank you… please come with me… I was just going to check on the baby…”
Mefist cleared his throat, “Pardon me, but I must leave…The Queen is naming the head of her army… and I do not wish to be late…”
“Of Course… please, send her our congratulations on her engagement to Goldd, would you?”
Mefist chuckled, “Of course lady of the Dark Realm. Me lady, sir.” He bowed to both in turn, before rushing outside to his otherworldly steed. The couple separated just as they heard the creature screech, and a blast of green-yellow flames erupted outside. Caius entered his study to find not only Darc, but another dark spellcaster… and an old flame.
“Chamer Darc, Shadowpriestess…”
The Shadowpriestess of Ohm smiled, “Hello my darling Caius… hows life with the living corpse?”
Caius’s eyes flared red for a moment, “How’s life toying with Mefist? He still believes he has a shot at you… despite the fact you have no intention of continuing the relationship for longer than the end of this month…”
The Shadowpriestess smiled, “How do you know what I intend to do with him, Caius?”
Caius locked her gaze with his, and after a moment she cursed in Latin, and spun away.
“The Ominous Fortuneteller has taught me more than just the art of seeing through the veil and illusions, Shadowpriestess… don’t lie to me again…”
“Or you’ll do what? Banish me? D.D. Survivor is too easy to control… I’d be back before the end of the day…”
“That was until Getsu Fuma showed interest in him… they’ve been together for a little over a year now… I’m surprised you didn’t know that…”
The Shadowpriestess looked away, “I’ve been… preoccupied as of late…”
Caius looked at her again, and blinked, the red draining from his eyes,
“You’re denying yourself his love? Mefist would gladly be with you, and you decide you shouldn’t be with him? Interesting how well you hide that…”
“Shut up… I only came because the Sorcerer of Dark Magic asked me to protect Darc… Mefist just happened to be here as well…”
“I didn’t say anything, Shadowpriestess…”
She looked into the fireplace, shielding her mind from the Shadow Monarch.
“Darc, my old friend… how has life being a Spellcaster spy?”
“Not all that bad considering most of my reports are filled with holes…”
“Mmm… wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact your girlfriend lives here?”
“Oh, you mean the Magical Ghost? Who just happens to know a spell to change herself into a mortal form? No… it has nothing to do with that.”
Caius laughed, “What can you tell me of your sister’s plight?”
“She went to see him as she always does… only this time, one of his arguments got… violent… I was there and saw the Invader’s face appear in front of Gogiga Gagagigo’s… and then a blast similar to the one that would have killed Gagagigo had he not had the spiritual power that is, fire from his palm. I was able to divert the attack towards me, and used one of your pocket Interdimensional Matter Transporters to escape harm… I had to use the Shadow Spell to bind him… per his request.”
Caius closed his eyes, “Mobius saw this?”
“Yes… everything…” Darc glanced at the Shadowpriestess, “And she did just come to protect me… Dark Necrofear and Endymion however sent them both at the same time for obvious reasons.”
Caius chuckled, “Matchmaking again are they? I’m surprised, after that disaster between them…”
“Don’t be… Yami is home to both are peoples after all…” Darc said.
“True… so… will Mobius allow us to enter his kingdom and do something about Gogiga Gagagigo?”
Darc nodded, “Yes… but on one condition: No Harm comes to Gogiga Gagagigo… and Kozaky stays here…”
“That might be a problem… Kozaky said he wasn’t finished with the upgrades… and if he didn’t… Gogiga Gagagigo might die as a result…”
Darc nodded, “I was afraid of that… and you can’t have him teach you?”
Caius shook his head, “He’s the one with the technical Know-How… I’m just now mastering my powers as the Dark Monarch and learning other mysticism from the Spellcasters, Fiends, Zombies and Dragons.”
Darc nodded, “I’ll see what I can do…it probably will take at least a month for this to work so… you’ll have plenty of time to prepare for the showdown…” He rose, “Shadowpriestess, are you coming?”
The Shadowpriestess of Ohm started for the door,
“Shadowpreistess…” Caius said.
“What?”
“Give him a shot… he’s an underworld knight… chivalry and evil all wrapped up into one…” He turned in his seat and looked at her, “You’ll be good for each other… trust me…”
The Shadowpriestess looked down, and gripped her two-pronged whip tighter, “We’ll see… but not because you said… he’s just too good-looking under that armor for me to let any other girl get him…”
Caius laughed as the spellcasters exited and disappeared into a swirling portal of Darkness.

He appeared in the nursery just as Maiden of Macabre was laying their daughter down to sleep. She glanced at him, her eyebrows raised,
“Darc is seeing if Mobius will allow Kozaky to accompany me… it should be a fun conversation…”
Maiden of Macabre spread a blanket over the sleeping girl, and whispered,
“Are you sure it’s wise? Kozaky might cause more harm than good…”
“Maiden… who do you think talked Endymion and Fushioh Richie into giving you the powers you now have?”
She shook her head, “It couldn’t be…”
Caius nodded, “It is… Kozaky isn’t as dim-witted as the humans make him out to be…”
Maiden nodded, “Can you tell me something dear?”
“Yes?”
“Do you think you can save him?”
Caius looked at her, “I don’t know…but i have to try at least.”
She nodded, “You’ll be able to… but you need something from the Former King of the Underworld…”
“The Soul Demolition power? Already have it, actually…”
“When?”
“When he passed on… he knew I’d need it if this happened… it’s been sealed away, and will remain so until I face off with the Invader.”
She nodded, “I see…” She turned away. Caius wrapped her in his arms,
“What? I don’t like it when you keep things from me, and you know that…”
She looked at him over her shoulder, “It’s just… you’ve done dangerous things before but… The Soul Demolition power could easily backfire… it could kill you…”
“No… the powers I’ve obtained allow me to gain sustenance from the souls of those banished by any power… I won’t die… I swear…”
She nodded, and kissed the helm’s cheek, “Okay… shall I have the Bistro Butcher prepare us something to eat?”
“Mmm… as long as it isn’t Nimble Misabi stew again, or dragon in any form, I don’t mind…”
“Yeah… I think he might have caught a zombie…”
Caius stared at her, “I think perhaps we should take Granmarg up on his offer…”
“Perhaps… which is why I called him earlier. The Magical Exemplar is preparing it as we speak…”
“Good… she always was a great cook…”
“Mmm… Granmarg says he’s very lucky she’d be willing to cook him a meal, let alone us. Normally, he does all the cooking… he’s getting pretty good at it too…”
Caius chuckled, “Yes… he always was the kind to bend to the will of his wife…”
She glanced at him, “Like you don’t?”
“I never said that… but…”
“All the Monarchs… scratch that… all the smart Monarchs do…”
Caius chuckled, “Thestalos would not appreciate that shot dear.”
“He needs to keep his mouth shut… if he keeps it up, I will have some of our… darker friends handle him.”
“Honey, he’s just lonely… his wife left him for another Pyro and he’s still dealing with it.”
“It was partly his own fault… he always ‘wore’ her instead of just loving her. I’m not surprised she left him…”
Caius nodded, “Yeah… he’s always had that problem… he’s worried she’ll hurt him, so he keeps her away… and she ends up hurting him anyway.”
Maiden of Macabre nodded, “I could see if one of the Fire Spellcasters is free…”
“No… He’s picky… he won’t settle for another type… so much like his brother Mobius, despite what they say.”
“Mmm… I’m not sure there is any female Pyros left he’d like…”
“Probably not…His daughter, the Fire Princess says he’s getting depressed… you know… He only stopped liking other types after Ruin turned him down.”
“He’s still stinging over that? That was nearly twenty years ago, wasn’t it?”
“Yes… but Monarchs have a very good memory… and he’s stubborn as an Ushi-Oni.”
The Maiden laughed, “Well… is there any female you can think of?”
“Fire Sorcerer is involved with Jowgen, and the Lady Assailant of Flames is involved with the leader of the Goblin Attack Force.”
“There’s a Leader?” the Maiden asked.
“Yeah I didn’t know that either… she says he’s cute…”
Maiden blinked, “A goblin, cute? Other than the king, I haven’t seen any, have you?”
“I don’t really pay attention… too busy looking at you I guess.” Caius kissed the back of her neck.
She sighed, “Thank you for the honeymoon dear… I enjoyed it… even with Zork’s attack.”
Caius smiled and hugged the Maiden to him, “I’m glad even an Evil overlord didn’t ruin it for you. Speaking of, I’ll see if Kozaky knows where she fled to…”
The Maiden glanced at him, “To his…”
“You know… it’s such a nice night out. The moon is full, and the sky is clear… don’t you agree?” He gestured towards the window with his eyes.
The Maiden glanced over her shoulder; a glowing ball of light hovered in the window.
“Yes dear, it is so beautiful… and I am curious to see where she ran, being married to that Lunatic and all.” the Maiden said.
“Yes… my sentiments exactly…” Caius said.
They both waited till the light had vanished before speaking,
“He’s gotten the Agent of Creation too?” the Maiden asked.
“Apparently… no one else can control the Mystical Shine Ball except her, and they do make perfect spies…”
“We have to tell the others…”
“They already know… Zaborg knows what they can do… and we can feel them hovering near us because of him.”
“He’s alive then?”
“Yes… even with Kuraz’s relentless attacks, he’s alive… and recovering in the Dark World.”

Back