Yugioh & Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necromancer

I'm not a newcomer to the game, but I am & will always be considered a "noob".
I'm an older, female duelist who runs a Fiend deck & this in itself causes problems.
I don't disrespect others at my "local" for running "cookies" or netdecking off "metagame" but they get really arrogant about it.
They have dissed my deck, age & skills once too often & thus I no longer go to tournaments.
It's not that I can't just "ignore" it, but as a "mature" duelist, I just don't have the time or patience for childish nonsense anymore, irrespective of how much I enjoy the game.
My game has suffered due to this, however. I am in semi-retirement atm, because I cant get no "satisfaction" or friendly advice without being told constantly "Fiends suck & you will never win, here, netdeck this cc" My confidence & self-esteem is at an all-time low. I would like to duel, but I just can't bring myself to do it anymore because of all the "put downs" & "excuses" I used to get if i either won or lost.
So, I am shy & scared now. If only "gg" meant "gg" & not "gg..BUT.."
I don't know any way out of this situation. I would really appreciate all advice here. Thanks in advance.

I've found a lot of players are in the same predicament, though for different reasons obviously, as you are. They've been "beat down" emotionally by the immature attitude of their local meta so much, that they simply don't enjoy the game anymore. Not all metas are like this, but sadly, not all people can make the long sojourn or search for a meta that has, at least, a few decent, well-behaved players.

In my case, I've found I can't make it to the shop anymore due to family responsibilities that pop up every weekend. My wife and daughter demand too much of my time and I'm going to give to them before anything else. I do find that my time here on the forum makes up for a lot of what I miss about Yu-Gi-Oh!. I've just gotten a new computer and I'm getting ready to see if I can set YVD up. This way I can play online and with any and every card in the game.

It's not a panacea, per se. But it definitely helps to be able to keep my mind sharp by discussing rulings, getting caught up in the minutia of card interaction I'll likely never see and building decks for the purposes of online play. It keeps me "in the game", so to speak, even though I cannot get to the local shop or even make it to Regionals (which is one thing I desperately wish I could afford to do more often) anymore. This forum, in particular, has a lot of older cats, and more well-behaved young people then some of the large forums. It's moderated heavily, and as such, the "gg" mentality is kept to a minimum. It's been a good place for "old timers" like us and for the more mature acting kids to come together and, for me personally, has filled a hole in my TCG life that wold be empty otherwise.

I'm sure it's not the best advise a person could give, suggesting that an already shy personality withdraw from the real world and immerse themselves somewhat into cyberspace, :D but if your good at moderating your own habits, and don't mind the unusual meta of online dueling, then the online TCG world is a good way to make up for some of that lost feeling. The reason being is that you can seek out an environ you like and stick with them, work out some camaraderie and maybe even hound out a few YVD players who know the true meaning of "good game".

Pardon the cliche. Hang in there. <Holds up poster of cat hanging from tree limb> :D

<Gets hit in head by a deck box> :skull

Thank you for those kind words & support. I have tried YVD myself, but found the "bugs" too annoying (this thread is not a "whine" btw). The shuffle patch on YVD leaves a lot to be desired, it places my cards underneath my opponent's ones, won't let me check their Graveyard & sometimes disconnects me mid-duel.
If I could get those problems sorted, I'd be real cool with using YVD & online dueling.
I used to duel on MSN sometimes, but I found that too long & tedious. I've also tried the Apprentice Program, but have problems with that also. I realise that there can be nothing like the "real thing" but at least in real life, I don't draw either ALL monsters or ALL Spell/Traps in my opening hand. :crying

I just feel sorely lacking in the "confidence" department. It's like i'm beaten even before I begin.
They've been "beat down" emotionally by the immature attitude of their local meta so much, that they simply don't enjoy the game anymore.
You are not wrong there. I want to be able to enjoy the game, but cannot under my present circumstances & conditions.
*even online, these arrogant kids become MORE arrogant (if that's possible)
You know what tho, I really like your attitude & sense of humour. I also agree that this should be a GAME & peeps take it way too seriously. Family & friendships come first.
Thanks again for the "cheer up" & I feel that we are going to get on quite well. :D

Helloooooooooooooo Necromancer :)

Hmmmm, WANNA duel?? LoL,

I too am an older duelist, prob a lot older! If you are EVER near WV, stop in, both places have female duelists. One more than other. They are less "unfriendly" in Charleston and have more there. Several GF's duel with thier BF's.

There are a few ways to get a Fiend deck ready for your current 'META" where you duel (or not concedering the jerks). I too hate being totally CC; hence, I do not do well at regionals; however, not bad. List your deck here and maybe some tweaking can get you to BEAT DOWN the top duelists so you can enjoy playing more.

Also, there is a online dueling game using the pass keys whick dosn't have the problems YVD has. Make sure you have YVD v8.6 which is the newist I know of.

Hope to be able to help!

Necromancer said:
Yeah,thx for your kind help & advice, I'll post it in a minute.
*looks for where I put it.lol

You can post it here:
http://cogonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=182

and don't mind childish comments, they just try to get to you out of lack of originality they have. If there is something i've learned over the years i've played this game is that regardless of anything there is always ways to overcome such obstacles, we will help you out as much as we can in here, but don't get yourself down ;) and ignore those people.

"Fiends suck & you will never win, here, netdeck this cc"
THE STUPID LIARS!!! WHY, I OUGHTTA.....

No matter what anyone says, Fiends will always be better.

No, I don't have anything constructive to add to this thread. But keep up the Fiendism! >_>

slither said:
You can post it here:
http://cogonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=182

and don't mind childish comments, they just try to get to you out of lack of originality they have. If there is something i've learned over the years i've played this game is that regardless of anything there is always ways to overcome such obstacles, we will help you out as much as we can in here, but don't get yourself down ;) and ignore those people.
She already did actually. But she posted it in the Casual Play area. And it just occurred to me that she said Fiend Deck! That means Dillie-O (our resident Fiendish Duelist) will be looking forward to meeting you, Necro. If anyone knows how to make Fiends even more Fiendish, it's Dillie-O.

Digital Jedi said:
She already did actually. But she posted it in the Casual Play area. And it just occurred to me that she said Fiend Deck! That means Dillie-O (our resident Fiendish Duelist) will be looking forward to meeting you, Necro. If anyone knows how to make Fiends even more Fiendish, it's Dillie-O.

Shoot I got in late :p lol

You read my mind about Dillie-O lol, maybe if we turn on the Fiend Signal he might show up quicker ^^

If Necromancer is who I think she is then Dillie-O is already on the job. ;)

When did we get a Fiend signal? Cool!

EDIT: And you also will not to have to woory about the types you describe here. I know this is my one-stop shop for rulings.

If Necromancer is who I think she is then Dillie-O is already on the job. ;)

When did we get a Fiend signal? Cool!

LOL..yeah, I'm Diabound from the Lair (Fiendishly from Pojo & Zork from Paradise). Mighty Dingo sees all..knows all...
I never knew that duelists had a sense of humour, now this is a refreshing change. :D
THE STUPID LIARS!!! WHY, I OUGHTTA.....
No matter what anyone says, Fiends will always be better.
The only way I will actually find that out, is not to associate myself with those who say they are not.
I believe personally that they are better, but the more I believe, the more lies I hear. Its very hard.
So now, I much prefer to lie myself & say "there are no duelists where I live" than saying "there's a dozen or so, but I refuse to associate with them" :duel_no
Make sure you have YVD v8.6 which is the newist I know of.

As a result though..I don't duel in real life...YVD doesnt work on my PC (has 8.6, although the previous versions were BETTER)lol..this game is dying for me & I dont want it to, but lack of nice people & a decent PC, means I havent dueled in ages & I REALLY SUCK BAD AT IT!!! *although I do make good decks. =)

I grudgingly agree with Jason. I have had my hind end handed to me MANY times by a fiend deck. *grumble, grumble, stupid darkworld munsters, whine, whine*

anyhoo, ya i know the feeling, about the non-mature players. the little brats at my local tourney, they love to gather round a good duel, and plead to look through the deck/graveyard while the duel's going on. :rolleyes:

So, It is a hardware problem that can keep YVD from working? hmm, didn't know that. anyhoo, now that i've put my two plug nickel's worth in, I'll go and lurk around some.

=)As a result though..I don't duel in real life...YVD doesnt work on my PC (has 8.6, although the previous versions were BETTER)lol..this game is dying for me & I dont want it to, but lack of nice people & a decent PC, means I havent dueled in ages & I REALLY SUCK BAD AT IT!!! *although I do make good decks.
I know the feeling. I just don't have the time to duel much and I can't remember the last time I dueled online. But, (and like Nell Carter's backside, this is a huge but) I still spend time tweaking my deck and checking on the meta. That way when I do have the time to hit a tourney, I can go 2-2 instead of 0-4. :p

Necromancer said:
heh, I'm 42 & I still don't know.
I've heard of Jimmy Carter, but that's about it.
Don't tell me you don't remember the sitcom "Gimme' a Break!" Large African-American housekeeper. Grumpy Caucasian police chief father. Three dimwitted teenage daughters. One very young breakdancing Joey Lawrence. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back