Upcoming information for FOTB, 2007 Starter Decks, and TAEV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of this maybe known already. I'm just concising it in 1 post.

All information from: http://shriektcg.twoday.net/

1) Force of the Breaker Special Edition
Available June 12
It's a box like the old Special Edition Sets of IOC, RDS, TLM, etc.

Contains 2 Force of the Breaker Packs + 1 Invasion of Chaos.
Contains 1 of 2 Super Rare Promo cards (Either Phantom Beast Rock Lizard or Winged Rhynos [Alternative Art]).

General thought: Eh. Would have preferred something like the Strike of Neos Blister. Plus Winged Rhynos doesn't have that "Shrink" buzz that Strike of Neos Blister did. It's not bad, just not as "must have".

2) Dual Acedemy Starter Decks
That's right, we're getting 2 Character Starter Decks. These would be the 1st 2 since the Yugi and Kaiba Evolution Starter decks in 2004. One features the cards of Jaden Yuki, the other features Syrus Truesdale.
Available July 25
Contains 41 Cards, (1 Ultra, 1 Super, 39 Common)
1 Beginner's Guide
1 Deluxe Game Mat

General thought: Japan received the 2007 Starter Deck which featured both E-Heroes and 'Roid Monsters (along with some other non/other-themed cards). What made the 2007 Starter Deck appealing was the inclusion of Cybertech Alligator (new to the TCG), a common version of Elemental Hero Necroshade, and an easy to find version of Smashing Ground. With the separation of the 2 into something "new" and no spoiler yet for the specifics of the 2 decks, It's hard to say how "good" these might be. The 2007 also featured only 1 Ultra Rare in the set (Elemental Hero Neos).

3) TCG Exclusive Tactical Evolution Cards
These are the 10 Cards exclusive to the TCG that are completely new in Tactical Evolution. No rarities are known, though Gemini Summoner is mostly accepted as being a Secret Rare. Note: 1 or 2 effects are not completely known yet.

Also "Dual" type monsters are called "Gemini" type monsters. Any references to "Gemini Monsters" are referring to these kinds of monsters and NOT monsters with the name "Gemini" (like "Gemini Elf").

Gemini Summoner
WATER/Spellcaster - Effect/4/1500/0
Once per turn during your opponent's End Phase you can pay 500 Life Points to Normal Summon or Set 1 Gemini monster from you hand or Normal Summon 1 face-up Gemini monster you control. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle, it is not destroyed (Damage calculation is applied normally).

Comment: This is also the Sneak Peak Promo card. You can either summon a Gemini Monster or activate the effect of a Gemini Monster. The fact that it can survive an attack increases the chance of being able to use the effect. The fact that you have to wait for the End Phase though makes it a bit of a long shot.

Ocean's Keeper
WATER/Fish - Effect/3/1500/1200
During battle between this attacking card and a Defense Position monster whose DEF is lower than the ATK of this card, inflict the difference as Battle Damage to your opponent. When this card is destroyed by battle, add 1 "Thousand-Eyes Jellyfish" or 1 "Cranium Fish" from your Deck to your hand.

Comment: A Piercer that can work as a searcher. Stats aren't great but works well with Level Limit - Area B on the field.

Thousand-Eyes Jellyfish
WATER/Fish - Effect/5/300/2100
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by Tributing 1 "Ocean's Keeper". Your opponent must play with their hand revealed.

Comment: A Nomi. While seeing your opponent's hand is good, it will be short lived as Smashing Ground will likely come crashing down.

Cranium Fish
WATER/Fish - Effect/6/2400/1000
You can Special Summon this card by Tributing 1 "Ocean's Keeper". You can discard 1 WATER monster to the Graveyard to destroy 1 face-down card.

Comment: A Recyclable version of Granmarg. Not that bad at all.

Abyssal Kingshark
WATER/Fish - Effect/4/1700/500
Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by an effect that does not target it, it is not destroyed.

Comment: Yes, that's 4 Fish Types here. Of course this card would laugh at Mirror Force. Or, like Wildheart, summon and Torrential.

Mormolith
EARTH/Rock - Effect/4/1000/900
You can Tribute 1 EARTH Monster to destroy all face-up monster with DEF equal to or less than the ATK of the Tributed card.

Comment: Some odd cross of Exiled Force and Dark Dust Spirit. You're only likely to use the effect once though since if you tribute himself, that's it. And if you tribute something stronger, he'll get blown up in the effect as well (yes ALL face-ups on the field). Could be ok as the Anti-Monarch though.

Fossil Tusker
EARTH/Rock - Effect/4/1800/0
When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends to the Graveyard, inflict 400 damage to your opponent.

Comment: Eh all around. Unless you're playing with the Rock Theme, there's better out there.

Phantom Dragonray Bronto
WATER/Fish - Gemini/4/1500/1000
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it then treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:
The original ATK of this card becomes ??00. If this card attacks, it is switched to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. This card's battle position cannot be changed until the end of your next turn, except by card effects.

Comment: Back to the Fish again. It looks like the ATK that it becomes is 2500 (but don't quote me on it) with a GAF effect. Ok, having a non-tribute that can get above the Monarch level is good and is less work/more stable than say "Giant Kozaky". But again, don't expect for it to stay around long in which you'd have to start from scratch again. With "A Legendary Ocean", a potential 3*, 2700 attacker though isn't shabby for a 1 turn shot.

Il Blud
DARK/Zombie - Gemini/6/2100/800
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it then treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:
Once per turn, you can Special Summon a Zombie-type monster from your hand or either player's Graveyard. When this card is removed from the field, destroy all Zombie-type monsters Special Summoned by this effect.

Comment: So his stats are a little low for a 1 tribute but easy to get out with Pyramid Turtle, and he can stand up to most commonly played cards below the Monarch Line. Next turn, re-summon him, and have a field day reborning Despair from the Dark or turning your opponent's Reaper against him. Definite potential in a Zombie build.

Blazewing Butterfly
FIRE/Insect - Gemini/4/1500/1500
You can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 Gemini monster from your Graveyard, except "Blazewing Butterfly". A Gemini monster Special Summoned by this effect is treated as an Effect Monster and gains its effect.

Comment: Or you can speed your way to get any Gemini monster on the field with this guy. Searchable all around and can bring out a bigger threat than himself. Yeah, this one is good.

Overall impression: Decently Solid enough. Some potential, especially when mixed in with the rest of the set. Nothing that may dominate the tournament scene, but at least good enough as to not embarass themselves. 7 of 10 overall, 3 of 10 if they're all Secret Rares (cause they wouldn't be worth the cost of what the Secret Rares from these sets call for).

Well said, man. I wasn't overly impressed by anything seen here either, save for "Blazewing Butterfly" and "Il Blud."

In fact, I find myself yawning at this set overall. And this new mechanic is supposed to create excitement?

As far as the "new" cards, I think part of the "underwhelming" feeling is that you look at these and instantly compare them to the top tier decks and there's nothing there that you see that would convince people to try them over Monarchs or D-Heroes or Demise etc. Most of the cards support a Water and/or Fish deck. Thing is, Water already has quite a number of different ways you can play them, all close to being really good but not quite there yet. These cards don't change that.

As far as Tactical Evolution as a whole, people will try the Venom monsters since it has the support in the set and they have a Win Condition. Plus the Dual... er... Gemini Monsters help make a new form of Beatdown. A number of those cards do have nice effects and their flexibility allows you to use both Normal monster support cards as well as standard support cards. Again though, these guys will be compared against the Monarchs since "why would I run this when I can get this better effect instead?" Thing is Monarch decks really are a Control theme so it won't be a fair comparison. The Gemini monsters give you beatdown and aggressive theme cards. While it may take a little longer to get their effect activated, you can take advantage of of cards like Birthright and Justi-Break that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. It is a different mindset with potential, but again people usually prefer to play "no-brain" decks where you don't have to measure your actions: Gadgets (Summon, get another), Monarchs (Control the field, sack for another one), Demise (Nuke the field, swarm for Game), etc.

Phantom Dragonray Bronto supposedly has been confirmed that his ATK becomes 2900 along with getting a GAF effect.

A 4* 2900 / 3* 3100 with ALO on the field... yeah I'd say that's worth it gaining a GAF effect. Wow. Granted, can't Skill Drain abuse it, but you can Final Attack Orders abuse it.

Do note that those 2 new Character Starters are going to be COMPLETELY different to Japan's 2007 starter deck.

As stated by a Mr Kevin Tewart on the Pojo Forums, so we might be lucky to get a good few new Roids in the Syrus Starter.

New 'roids? Sounds interesting. I'd like to see a 2-Tribute 'roid (Bulldozeroid? 2500 ATK trampler, maybe, and can be just 1 Tribute if it's a 'roid monster? I made that up, by the way), and perhaps another Fusion (although Starter Decks wouldn't do that... although Joey had 2 Fusions).

Looking forward to the FOTB special edition box in particular the winged ryhnos not to keen on the whole idea of TAEV changing the play method have to see how it all goes. Myself i think it's just over complicating something thats alot of fun.I think it's gunna turn alot of younger duelists off the game but thats just me.

Mormolith
EARTH/Rock - Effect/4/1000/900
You can Tribute 1 EARTH Monster to destroy all face-up monster with DEF equal to or less than the ATK of the Tributed card.
Brings to mind an old card that hasn't really seen any play in decks these days....Curse of Anubis...blow up the opponent's side with just a Spirit Reaper as tribute...? It might be hard to pull off the setup and your monster is gone too, but still....?

Last I checked, Spirit Reaper is a DARK.

Realistically, since Mormolith's effect affects all face-up monsters on the field (including your own), you will only get 1 chance to use the effect since you'll either be tributing Mormolith or if you have a stronger EARTH-type that you tribute, you'll destroy Mormolith with his effect as well.

Phantom Beast Rock Lizard or Winged Rhynos

Never heard of those cards... anyone got the effect text and stats?

From the link posted in the first post:

FOTB-ENSE1
Phantom Beast Rock Lizard
DARK/Beast-Warrior - Effect/7/2200/2000
If you're Tributing a "Phantom Beast" monster or "Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts" this card can be Normal Summoned with 1 Tribute. When this card destroys a monster by battle, inflict 500 damage to your opponent. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard by your opponent's card effect, inflict 2000 damage to your opponent.
Super Rare

FOTB-ENSE2
Winged Rhynos
WIND/Beast - Effect/4/1800/500
When a Trap Card is activated, you can return this face-up card from the field to its owner's hand.
Super Rare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back