10 golden rules to figuring out rulings.

Dillie-O

Council of Heroes
Are you trying to figure out how to rule on a situation and nobody is around to help. Try applying these 10 rules to the situation to help...

1) Read the card text fully for all cards involved.

2) Read the card text fully for all cards involved.

3) Read the card text fully for all cards involved.
Ha ha, you may think. But trust me, three times of thorough reading often helps you discover a key word in the text (Oh, it has to be destroyed by battle to get the effect...)

4) Send does not equal Tribute. Send does not equal Discard. Etc.
Cards are very specific on what needs to happen to meet an activation requirement.

5) Most traps cannot be activated during the damage step.
Perfect! I'll go ahead and use Torrential Tribute against that monster that Mystic Tomato's effect just special summoned. Whoops, we're still in the damage step, can't do that.

6) Destroying a card doesn't negate it's effect once activated.
Once an effect is activated, it will continue to resolve itself, even if the card is destroyed via a chain. You need to negate the effect/activation in order to stop it cold.

7) Remember overlying mechanics still rule the game.
Even though it doesn't say it on the card, continuous spell/traps must remain on the field to get their effect. Chaining a Mystical Space Typhoon to the activation of a continuous effect will stop it.

8) Costs and targets are paid/declared upon activation of the card.
This helps when figuring out what effects can "fizzle." Call of the Haunted requires a target at activation. Chain disappear to the targeted card and Call will "fizzle." It also helps figure out what to do if an effect is negated. The Creator's revival effect discard is not a cost. If his effect is negated, you don't have to discard.

9) A card doesn't have to remain on the field in order to get its effect.
This is slightly more advanced, but important to remember for cards like Exiled Force.

10) The game was meant to have its rules bent. Exceptions exist.
Not to COMPLETELY nullify everything I've said, but remember there are exceptions to every case and need to be checked for carefully.

Now get out there and duel! Hopefully this will get you through more situations than you have previously. I've ingrained these into my head and it has helped out a lot through my judging experience.

sounds like the rules for fight club:

1) You don't talk about fight club.

2) You don't talk about fight club.

Oops. I just broke the rules. Eh, I wasn't an active member anyways......yet.

But I do have to say, don't only let these rules come into your judging. Make a habit of following 1-3 with your play too. Not saying the opponent is always trying to take an opportunity, but they might have misread their card as well. Lost a draft tourney once becuase I didn't read blast asmodian well enough (When this card is destroyed and sent to the graveyard as a result of battle, both players take x damage) ( I can't remember the amount, just why I misread and therefore lost.)

The rule that most duelist in my local tournaments (in Brazil, if anyone wondered) should consider is #4. It's incredible how people here misplay Dark World monsters because of this! Good article anyways!! :)

Back