2d games getting makeovers.

Defector

I was wondering what people are thinking about the 2d games that are coming out in re-releases? I have noticed duck-tales, strider and castle of illusion. I think there are others to on multiple formats.

I personally are in two minds. On one hand I think it is good that they are remembering gaming as it use to be and making modern releases to bring them to life again, but on the other hand it can show a lack of originality and shows a lack of imagination for bringing out new titles in games.

It's nice that they are bringing a selection of older games out on the newer consoles and updating them not just with better graphics but with level layouts and extra content.
I've never played the original duck tales so it was nice to get the chance to play it as it a pretty good game.
I remember playing castle of Illusion on the megadrive and the new version is a nice remake.

I hadn't heard of strider until this relaunch so I might look into it.

But I know what your saying and I agree It would be nice to see more creativity in the business especially from the likes of sony,microsoft and nintendo but at the end of the day it's a business and companies are going to do the product that is most likely to sell and make money.

I don't consider it a lack of imagination, because it takes imagination to refresh an old property properly. It takes imagination to bring something back like Ducktales, of all things, and to even have the sense of nostalgia to want to bring it back. In a lot of ways, doing something like that can be a test of your creativity.

yes I see the point to remake an old game and to try and update it in graphics, sound and content. spending time playing the originals and trying to imagine how it would look now is not the easiest thing to do. esp when if it is a flop or to far away form the original they risk being told they are awful designers and risk public ridicule.

Ain't that the truth. Not a single Page I'm subscribed to on Facebook, no matter the subject, is absent the thread of stupid, inane comments. The news Pages have people flipping out if they post something entertainment related. The movie Pages have people flipping out if they dare to compel you to visit their website. The comic Pages have people flipping out over...everything that ever happened in a comic book ever. One magazine I'm subscribed to, the commenters can't NOT criticize the hair of whichever person they're covering that issue. Even if that person is nine months old. What I'm saying is, people are stupid. :ninja:

I almost can't even visit video game sites. My desire to troll the trolls could take over.

One of the things I REALLY like seeing is ports of classic 2D games onto mobile devices. I currently have R-Types installed on my tablet. And I have the classic X-Men arcade game purchased on the Play Store. It's somewhat crazy to me to see all my old childhood games that used to cost me 25-50 cents per 3 lives and were the size of vending machines, now available on my phone.

Back