A Step Back - Understanding Dimension Wall

A step back – understanding Dimension Wall

Dimension wall is one of those cards that confuses both players and judges alike. The reason for this is simple, it doesn’t follow the mainstream mechanics for how a card normally works. I’ll try to make it easy to understand by first comparing it to a card you are probably already familiar with, Last Will. What does Last Will have in common with dimension wall? Both cards set up a state of game play where by, after the card itself has resolved, their effect can/will be used later in the turn.
Lets step back and take a look at the wording on dimension wall for a second:

“Normal Trap
You can only activate this card when your opponent declares an attack with a monster. Instead of you, your opponent takes the Battle Damage you would have taken as a result of this battle.”

The first line states very clearly that the card itself can only be activated when your opponent declares an attack with a monster, this is something that take place during the attack step. However, the second line clearly references battle damage, which is something that takes place during the damage step (after the attack step). What this means is that once Dimension Wall resolves in the attack step, it sets up a state of game play where by it will inflict damage to your opponent in the damage step.

What does this mean in practical terms?
1. If you activate dimension wall and never get to the damage step then no damage will be inflicted. For example, Johnny is playing Sally and Sally is at 3000 life points. Sally declares an attack on Johnny directly with her Zaborg the Thunder Monarch. Johnny doesn’t understand how Dimension Wall works and thinks he can win, so he activates Magic Cylinder and chains Dimension wall. What happens in this situation is simple once you understand how Dimension Wall works; Dimension Wall resolves and will inflict damage once the attack enters the damage step, Magic Cylinder then resolves and inflicts 2400 damage to Sally and negates the attack - preventing it from ever entering the damage step. Again, because the attack never entered the damage step, no damage will be inflicted.
2. You can chain to the activation of Dimension Wall in the attack step but you may not chain to the state of game play that inflicts damage set up by Dimension wall during the damage step. An example of this would be Barrel Behind the Door or Trap of Board Eraser.

What else do I need to know about Dimension Wall?

Well for one thing, unlike Magic Cylinder, Dimension wall doesn’t target. This means that if Dimension Wall is used on an attack declared by a Spirit Reaper or Reaper on the Nightmare, Spirit Reaper/Reaper on the Nightmare will not die.

If Sally attacks Johnny with a Don Zaloog and Johnny activates Dimension Wall. Neither player gets the effect of Don Zaloog because Don Zaloog must inflict damage to “your opponent’s life points” in order to activate. The same ruling can be applied to Airknight Parshath, White Magical Hat, Mefist the Infernal General, etc.

You may not activate Dimension Wall if no damage would be inflicted. So if a Waboku has already been activated and has resolved you may not play Dimension Wall. You may, however, chain Dimension Wall to Waboku if the timing is right… but no damage will be dealt during damage calculation so Dimension Wall will not inflict any damage.

I hope this has helped you gain a better understanding of how Dimension Wall, and the game as a whole, works. Untill next time, I’m level three judge Alex Lasky. HAPPY DUELING!

Last edited:
Well said Alex. Dimension Wall is one of those cards I've been itching to work into my deck and I think would make a great side deck to counter a lot of those OTK/Trample style decks if your opponent feels they can walk right through without clearing the backfield.

As a sidenote, CONGRATS on the L3! You probably got it a while ago, but I don't make it in here much. Looks like I need to come back to YOU for rulings 8^D

There was discussion recently with Dimension Wall as it relates to Amazoness Swords Woman. After some investigation what I learned was that battle damage can only be redirected once, so as examples....

Let's say it goes like this...

P1 Attacks directly with Amazoness Swords Woman.
P2 Activates Dimesion Wall in response to the attack.

Judging from this judge list post...

http://lists.upperdeck.com/read/messages?id=9380#9380

I'd have to assume that the controler of Amazoness Swords Woman would take the battle damage....since it states that battle damage is only redirected once and adds that, "The redirected damage is still Battle Damage, but its no longer damage that "Amazoness Swords Woman's" controller "would have taken from a battle."

Now if the scenario went like this instead....

P1 Attacks with Amazoness Swords Woman to P2's face down Giant Soldier of Stone. (2000 def.)
P2 Activates Dimesion Wall in response to the attack. (no further chain links)

In this scenario I see P2 taking 500 lp of damage from Amazoness Swords Woman's effect (again the damage can't be redirected for the same reason as in the first scenario.

This all may seem a little confusing at first but when you stop to examine it....it all makes perfect sense.

yeah, here's something I've been confused on though, is dimension wall inflicting damage or redirecting damage?

This is especially in regards to barrel behind the door/trap of board eraser

It's redirecting Battle Damage. "Inflict" is niether here nor there, since both Effect and Battle Damage are "inflicted" in this game. What your looking for here is whether the damage is Effect Damage or Battle Damage, and the text shows that it's Battle Damage.

ya exiled force that ruling is correct. because if player 1 atacks with des wombat and player 2 flips demension wall, than the attack damage is still redirected. even with the wombats effect

Back