"An Unfortunate Report"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionHeart

Does anyone know of any combos that this card will work with? There has to be SOME good use for this card.

An Unfortunate Report
GLAS-EN080 (Normal Trap Card)
Your opponent conducts their next Battle Phase twice.

It would work well with Staunch Defender and a high DEF monster. Force your opponent to attack your high DEF monser with all his face-up monsters, twice. Lots of LP loss.

Also add to that Robbin Goblin and you'll clear out his hand.

Hmm, pair that with some fairy hand box, and that would be fun. If Berzerk Gorilla was in the mix still, you could do some fun stuff to make your opponent suffer there.

I could also see a small abuse with Helpoemer, get to thin them out twice 8^D

The only problem I can see is that the card says "next Battle Phase", which means it wouldn't work on the Battle Phase you wanted. And if this were the case, any experienced opponent would simply not attack until they thought they were clear to do so.

However, there is a workaround that I know of. If you activate the card, and declare, "Before you enter your Battle Phase, I'll activate this" then I'm not sure there is anything the opponent can do about it.

It's similar to how "Threatening Roar" works. You are allowed to back the Duel up to a certain point (this is an official ruling found in the Priority section of the 6.0 rulebook), which means you technically can activate "Threatening Roar" after your opponent declares an attack - you just have to know how to word it. So could this card be utilized the same way?

The major question is: is your opponent allowed to backtrack also, and decide not to enter their Battle Phase then? After all, if you're reverting the duel to a previous point and changing the state of gameplay, it seems only fair that this be allowed.

Now, on another note. Let's say you activate this card during your opponent's Main Phase, hoping they will enter their Battle Phase and attack like you want them to. Instead, however, they decide not to enter it. They wait until they can draw some problem-solving cards to allow them a free double-shot at your Life Points.

But here's the kicker: if used in this way, "An Unfortunate Report" can be seen as a sort of long-term stall card. The opponent won't attack if they think you have a deadly trap waiting. And in the meantime you'll be getting extra draws with absolutely zero risk - no Continuous Spells or Traps that can be destroyed when you least expect it. No one-hit-wonder stall cards like "Waboku" and "Threatening Roar" to allow just one measly extra draw. This, in essence, may allow for multiple draws. It's subtle, but it may have potential.

However, there is a workaround that I know of. If you activate the card, and declare, "Before you enter your Battle Phase, I'll activate this" then I'm not sure there is anything the opponent can do about it.

It's similar to how "Threatening Roar" works. You are allowed to back the Duel up to a certain point (this is an official ruling found in the Priority section of the 6.0 rulebook), which means you technically can activate "Threatening Roar" after your opponent declares an attack - you just have to know how to word it. So could this card be utilized the same way?

The major question is: is your opponent allowed to backtrack also, and decide not to enter their Battle Phase then? After all, if you're reverting the duel to a previous point and changing the state of gameplay, it seems only fair that this be allowed.

Actually, what is usually happening with Threatening Roar is a severe lack of communication. The Turn Player should be announcing the end of Main Phase 1. At that point, (s)he does NOT need to announce what Phase they are going into. You must either make a play, or accept the end of the Main Phase. Once that is done, the next Phase is announced (Battle or End). At that point, you enter the phase. It is NOT true that activating Threatening Roar, when someone goes straight from Summon to Attack automatically backs the game up to Main Phase again. The Non-turn Player, may say, "Hey, wait! I never agreed to end the Main Phase." Then it is backed up. But once you both agree to end it (after that), it is still up to the Turn Player what Phase (s)he wishes to enter. However, Threatening Roar can be Activated During the Start Step of the Battle Phase. Therefore, if the Turn Player jumps the Gun and Attacks directly after Summoning, the Non-turn Player may opt to say, "Hey, wait! You missed a step. During the Start Step of the Battle Phase, which you have obviously passed on, jumping right to 'attack', I activate Threatening Roar." While this may be neither here nor there for An Unfortunate Report, it is important to clear this up. Suffice it to say, If the TP jumps the gun, you can call him/her on it and refuse to leave Main Phase 1 until An Unfortunate Report is played, but that means (s)he doesn't need to enter the Battle Phase afterward.

I never knew the Turn Player didn't have to announce which Phase they're entering upon declaration of a Phase completion. That's something I'll have to keep in mind. Thanks.

But from the rest of your post, it seems like "An Unfortunate Report" will be even less useful. An indirect form of stall may be its only hope, unless there is a combo that has been overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back