Baboon Vs. Grandmaster of the Six Samurai

exiledforcefreak

RIP Jacob KT 2/16/06
Can someone please explain to me why Grandmaster of the Six Samurai can return itself and Green Baboon can't? I still don't 100% understand.

Can someone please explain to me why Grandmaster of the Six Samurai can return itself and Green Baboon can't? I still don't 100% understand.
From what I understand, the difference is the way the effects activate. Grandmaster is going to look for it's own destruction specifically, so it will have to be on the field in order for the effect to work. Baboon on the other hand is looking for Beast types to be destroyed while it's in your hand or Graveyard, not while it's on the field. I'm still not sure it's phrased to reflect that, though.

If it's BKSS, you just need to remember the ruling. It's BKSS because you can't extrapolate the ruling from elsewhere (most likely it goes against what similar rulings or logic/game mechanics might say).

I've been told from unreliable sources that grandmaster is different because it is an American made card... so if that's true, then baboon would be the standard. Can anyone confirm this?

When Baboon was in its heyday, it was 3 per Deck. No one had to worry about what it could do because most likely, you already had one in the Graveyard from Foolish Burial, and one in hand, so it didnt matter.

Now that you can only have one per Deck, it matters, and the only sensible ruling that has been consistently used, is that he cannot use his effect on himself which prevents him from being abused by cards like Des Counterblow, which would be a seriously ungodly card if he were at 3 per Deck.

But, I digress. There is no exception between Grandmaster or Green Baboon. Each card has been given a ruling, for better or worse, and that is what we have to go by. There are a lot of good explanations as to why Baboon works the way he does, but in the end, if they are good enough to explain why he can't use his effect, then it also kills the reasoning behind why Grandmaster works. So, its BKSS, or nothing.

So, in other words, it's Baboon. :D
I think it's probably a "Chicken before the Egg" scenario, but if you call Baboon the "Chicken", and Grandmaster the "Egg", that would mean that Grandmaster should dictate that Baboon follows suit.

I guess you almost have to call it a exception, or more likely, a addendum. :ninja:

Back