Field Spell Card

Imagine your self, feeling confident in your duel. You just had your monstrous "Jinzo" attacked your opponent's last Goat Token. You scan the Field. Your "Jinzo" is the only existing card on the playing Field. You look at your opponent. He is holding a single card in his hand. You were in control as you end your turn. Your opponent drew. What is this? He had a smirk on his face. What could he have drawn? Then in an instant, the playing field was soaked with salt water, almost drowning your helpless "Jinzo". You realized your opponent just activated "A Legendary Ocean". You let it resolves as the waves settle down. Then out of the deep blue ocean splashed a gigantic fish. "Terrorking Salmon" was summoned to battle. You felt helpless as the master of Sea of Darkness devour your mechanical monster with a whopping 2600 ATK. You are now soaked with fear as you watched the humongous salmon swim around the battlefield, waiting for its next victim. You felt slowly sinking in the ocean as you ponder, "I must destroy that Field Spell Card or I will be doomed."

What is a Field Card?

Field Spell Cards are Spell Cards that alter the conditions on the field and affects both players. Field Spell Cards are placed in the Field Card Zone in either face-up or face-down position. A player sets a Field Spell Cards in face-down position and activates a Field Spell Card in face-up position. There can only be 1 active Field Spell Card on the field at any given time between both players. When a new Field Spell Card is activated, the old field card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard at resolution. Field Spell Card will be active at all times as long as it is face-up and not negated by other card effects. If a player's Field Spell Card is Set when an active Field Spell Card is destroyed, the Set card does not automatically activate. The controller of a FieldSpell Card can activate or Set a new FieldSpell Card, and destroy his/her old one.**1 In addition, a player cannot set a Field Spell Card if he/she already has a set Field Spell Card.

A History of Field Spell Cards.

The first and second sets of Field Spell Cards were released on Legend of Blue-Eyes White Dragon (LOB)**2 and Spell Ruler (SRL)**3. These Field Spell Cards modify the ATK and DEF stat of specific monsters. Since Pharaoh's Servant (PSV), Field Spell Cards were only used to strengthen monsters. This all changed when Labyrinth of Nightmare (LON) came out. This set introduced the "Fusion Gate" Field Spell Card. Unlike its predecessor, this Field Spell Card did not modify any monsters on the field. Instead, it allowed Fusion Monsters to be special summoned without the aid of "Polymerization" with the expense of removing Fusion-Material monsters from play.

The next set of Field Spell Card to come out was from Legacy of Darkness (LOD). LOD introduces two Field Spell Card. The first one is "Array of Revealing Light" (LOD-EN029) and the second one is "A Legendary Ocean" (LOD-EN078). The "Array of Revealing Light" was the first Field Spell Card that is used for defensive purposes against Monster Type Themed Decks. This card restricts a declared Monster Type to attack the same turn it was Normal Summoned, Flipped Summoned, and Special Summoned. The "A Legendary Ocean" boosted all WATER monsters and lowers their Level by 1. This card is treated as "Umi" (LOB-EN050) but with a different kind of effect.

From then on, any newly introduced Field Spell Card became more powerful and more playable. Some decks were built around these new Field Spell Cards because the Field Spell Cards supports a specific group of monsters. For example, "Necrovalley" (PGD-084) is a must have for all Gravekeeper Deck. It also has an annoying effect of locking down the Graveyard. "Pandemonium" (DCR-094) helps some Archfiend Decks for Life Point management and Draw power. "The Sanctuary in the Sky" (AST-042) is a must have for all Fairy Deck for much need protection on some Fairy monsters. Lastly, "Harpies' Hunting Ground" (RDS-EN038) is a must have for all Harpy Deck for Winged Beast power boost and Field control.

New Yugioh Sets are still coming. I'm sure some of them will include Field Spell Card. Did anyone say "Orichalcos"?

Game Mechanic of Field Spell Card.

Field Spell Cards have their own Game Mechanics. They are Spell Cards so they are affected by cards that affect spell cards such as "Heavy Storm" and "Mage Power". In addition, they have their own special rules:
  1. Field Spell Card must be set or activated in the Field Card Zone.
  2. There can only be 1 active Field Spell Card on the field at any given time between both players.
  3. Activation Mechanics:
    • Activate the Field Spell Card in your Field Card Zone.
    • On resolution:
      • If a Set Field Spell Card is occupying your Field Card Zone, then destroy it.
      • Destroy all active Field Spell Card on the field.
      • The newly activated Field Spell Card is now considered Active, it will now occupy your Field Card Zone, and it will now affect the field.
  4. Set Mechanics:
    • Set the Field Spell Card in your Field Card Zone.
    • On resolution:
      • If a Set or active Field Spell Card is occupying your Field Card Zone, then destroy it.
      • The new face-down Field Spell Card will now occupy your Field Card Zone.

Knowing the mechanics of Field Spell Card can explain how some ruling works. For example, if a Player A activates a Field Spell Card and Player B chains with "Magic Jammer", the existing active Field Spell Card will not be destroyed because "Magic Jammer" destroys the new Field Spell Card before it reaches its resolution. Another example is when an "Umi" Field Card and "Tornado Wall" are active and the opponent activates another "Umi", the old "Umi" will be destroyed and replaced by the new "Umi"; however, the "Tornado Wall" will still remain on the field because the Field remained Umi all the time.

Combo Anyone?

Field Spell Cards are necessary to be in play for some decks to function properly. With that in mind, Field Spell Cards needs to be protected and searched quickly. Cards like "Terraforming" can help speed up the search for your Field Spell Card. "Magic Reflector" can protect your Field Spell Card to an extent. "Magician of Faith" can be used to reuse your Field Spell Card that exists in your Graveyard.

Some card combo can also be setup with the help of a Field Spell Card. "A Legendary Ocean" can combo with "Level Limit "“ Area B", "Gravity Bind", and "Levia-Dragon - Daedalus". "Luminous Sparks" works well in a XYZ/Machine hybrid deck. "Rite of Spirit" will combo with "Necrovalley" to help Gravekeeper monsters. There are lots of combos you can use with Field Spell Cards. You just have to use your ingenuity to come up with one.

The Opponent Strikes Back.

Like all cards in Yugioh, Field Spell Cards will always be vulnerable to other cards. The first enemies of Field Spell Cards are Spell destroyers such as "Mystical Space Typhoon" and "Breaker The Magical Warrior". The next adversaries in line are the Spell negators such as "Imperial Order" and "Spell Canceller". Next are the Field Spell Card disruptors such as "Burning Land" and of course, another Field Spell Card. Next is monsters that are immune to the effect of the Field Spell Cards such as "Vampire Lord" vs. "Necrovalley". There are other cards that can be used to limit the playability of a Field Spell Card; however, they will not be covered in this article.

Closing.

Field Spell Cards can work with you or against you. You have to master when and how to use the card to use it to the fullest. With proper support, Field Spell Card can be a huge asset for your deck. Build and try a Field Based Deck just to see if it will work for you. You never know, you might just like it and stick with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Netrepâ„¢ Official Judge's List: Thread Field Spell Cards.

Field Spell Cards that are released on LOB are the following:
LOB-EN046 Forest
LOB-EN047 Wasteland
LOB-EN048 Mountain
LOB-EN049 Sogen
LOB-EN050 Umi
LOB-EN051 Yami

a) Spell Ruler set is used to be called Magic Ruler (MRL)
b) Field Spell Cards that are released on SRL are the following:
SRL-EN037 Chorus of Sanctuary
SRL-EN096 Gaia Power
SRL-EN097 Umiiruka
SRL-EN098 Molten Destruction
SRL-EN099 Rising Air Current
SRL-EN100 Luminous Spark
SRL-EN101 Mystic Plasma Zone

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
UDE: www.yugioh-card.com
NetRepâ„¢ Forum
NetRep's cardRegistry

Special thanks to the following Netrepâ„¢ members:
Krazykidpsx, Someone, and Daivahataka for outstanding examples.
Raijinili for forcing me to dig up on rulings.

j/y

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I need help. Please comment on this article. I don't know if it is good and accurate, or bad and misleading. I really appreciate any feedback. Also, if its OK with you can you rate this thread. You can do this by clicking on the Rate Thread on top of the article post. Select the appropriate number of stars to signify how you feel about this Article. You comment will be very helpful for me. Thank you.

I think it's a good article. It's an not all-too-complicated game mechanic, if you're used to priority and complex chains.... well.. Field Spell Cards aren't THAT difficult to understand (which is obviously a GOOD thing!)! *lol*

But you cover some interesting points, like the history! :)

I think your article is pretty useful (especially for new players), it's good that you point out the possible combos with the Field Spell Cards!!! ;)

Keep up the good work!!!

soul :cool:

not bad...and I must say that Rising Air Current is the best one at this point that will see some use along with Harpie's Hunting Ground.

The first and second sets of Field Spell Cards were released on Legend of Blue-Eyes White Dragon (LOB)**2 and Spell Ruler (SRL)**3. These Field Spell Cards modify the ATK and DEF stat of specific monsters. Since Pharaoh's Servant (PSV), Field Spell Cards were only used to strengthen monsters. This all changed when Labyrinth of Nightmare (LON) came out. This set introduced the "Fusion Gate" Field Spell Card. Unlike its predecessor, this Field Spell Card did not modify any monsters on the field. Instead, it allowed Fusion Monsters to be special summoned without the aid of "Polymerization" with the expense of removing Fusion-Material monsters from play.

This paragraph gets an "F." All paragraphs need a "Topic Sentence."

DaGuyWitBluGlasses said:
This paragraph gets an "F." All paragraphs need a "Topic Sentence."
OK. How about if I add this sentence:

Field Spell Card has always been part of the Yugioh Trading Card Game ever since the game started. The first and second sets of Field Spell Cards were released on Legend of Blue-Eyes White.....

Will this help?

One thing to note. When you use the term "destroyed" when a second field card is played to replace the one on the field. The first field card is not "destroyed" as it would be by an effect like Mystical Space Typhoon's. It it more or a replace, and send the other to the graveyard. The reason to clarify this relates to your combo with Magic Reflector. Magic Reflector adds a counter that gets destroyed in place of your continous spell card (in this case the field card). If the Field card were "destroyed" by the new field card, the magic reflector's token would be destroyed in its place. However, since you can't have 2 field cards on the field at the same time, you would have a problem at this point. Also, if it were "destroyed", a card like Judgement of Anubis could be chained to the new field card's activation. Obviously, this is not the case. A better explanation could be either "sent" or "replaced".

Raigekick said:
OK. How about if I add this sentence:

Field Spell Card has always been part of the Yugioh Trading Card Game ever since the game started. The first and second sets of Field Spell Cards were released on Legend of Blue-Eyes White.....

Will this help?

That sentence could help, but it was redundant ("always", and "ever since the game started" say the same thing twice)

I think it would be better to just separate every set of field cards into its own paragraph. (But still under only one heading)

papewaio said:
One thing to note. When you use the term "destroyed" when a second field card is played to replace the one on the field. The first field card is not "destroyed" as it would be by an effect like Mystical Space Typhoon's. It it more or a replace, and send the other to the graveyard. The reason to clarify this relates to your combo with Magic Reflector. Magic Reflector adds a counter that gets destroyed in place of your continous spell card (in this case the field card). If the Field card were "destroyed" by the new field card, the magic reflector's token would be destroyed in its place. However, since you can't have 2 field cards on the field at the same time, you would have a problem at this point. Also, if it were "destroyed", a card like Judgement of Anubis could be chained to the new field card's activation. Obviously, this is not the case. A better explanation could be either "sent" or "replaced".
According to the version 5.0 rulebook that came with the new Structure Decks, an existng Field Spell card is indeed destroyed and sent to the graveyard. (pg. 17)

This shouldn't present a problem with Magic Reflector because the card is being destroyed by a game mechanic, not by the new Field Spell card, per se. It's the same as having a counter on a card requiring a maintenance cost. If you choose not to pay it, the card is destroyed by game mechanics whether it has a counter on it or not.

The same reasoning would apply to Judgment of Anubis. JoA can only negate a spell card that "includes the effect" of destroying spell or trap cards. Field Spells do not include any effects that destroy spell or trap cards, the destruction of the previously active Field Spell is a byproduct of game mechanics, not the effect of another Field Spell, so JoA has no effect here.

Thanks jdos for clarifying the game machanic of destroying a to be replaced old Field Spell Card to papewaio.

DaGuyWitBluGlasses, I'll consider your suggestion. Thanks.

Field card

So if replacing a field card with another field card destroys the current field card, is there a way to protect that card besides negating the card activation??

You can protect your Field Spell Card with "Spell Canceller" and "Imperial Order" for destruction against Spell that can destroy them; however, your Field Spell Card will be negated. So this is not a good idea.

"Magic Reflector" will not help you either. Your Field Spell Card will still be destroyed if another Field Spell Card is activated.

Your best defense will be to nagate the activation with the help of "Magic Jammer", "Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell", "Solemn Judgment" and other negating effects.

I've asked the Question on at what moment in the game mechanics a field spell gets replaced by another on another forum, and the quote from the newest rulebook came up:

"When a new field Spell Card is activated, the previous Field spell card is destroyed and sent to the graveyard"

Which implies that the first Field card is displaced before any chain can occur, even Magic Jammer. I'm not sure which to trust.

This is a very interesting post. It includes almost every basic thing about field Spell cards..

In my opinion A Legendary Ocean is the most Lethal of all Fields, it reduces the level of a water monster by 1, so a level 5 could be normal summoned without tribute, it also helps water decks work under Gravity Bind or Level Limit Area B as a combo with the Amphibious Bugroths, so it is the best one in my opinion...

Old topic but I have to say very good to see someone actually give something indepth to cards that are usually over-looked. Nice work..though I could see someone slapping you for even mentioning Orichalcos lol

"In addition, a player cannot set a Field Spell Card if he/she already has a set Field Spell Card."

I didn't see this part information in Dan's post on the Official Judge's site. Do you have a different source for this tidbit?

Well, you still only have one Field Spell Zone. Doesn't that zone work the same way as the other six? If their full they can't be used.

Back