Gold Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraniumX

For those of you that haven't heard by now, towards the end of March, the "Gold Series" will be released to Hobby Shops all over the country.

[Street Date is March 26th

Hobby Configuration:
45 card set
25 cards per box (3 with NEW Gold Technology)
5 boxes per display

The Gold standard for the Trading Card Game industry will be released in late March with the introduction of our Hobby Exclusive, Gold Series.

The Gold Series set is specifically designed to be desirable to all aspects of hobby with an appealing never seen before gold technology.Legendary cards such as "Jinzo", Don Zaloog", "Mirror Force" and "Crush Card Virus" will also be making their return with this set which will make this a must have item for players and collectors.]

My question to anyone that does know about this around here... does anyone know of any online store pre-selling display boxes of these yet? I haven't found any yet, and I keep looking, but there are ZERO Hobby Shops unless I travel 100 miles, and I want to make sure I get some of these, so I'm going to have to buy them online. Anyone with any info is much appreciated.

I haven't heard of an online souce yet, but I've been keeping an eye out. I've been trying to do the ebay thing lately, but for some reason, that causes the wierdest eye strain.

Well, just a couple days after I first posted this, I managed to find 3 display boxes left on eBay for $76 each, which I definitely feel lucky to get. They'd already sold the other 27 in their auction in less than 8 hours, since I'd been searching eBay pretty much at least 4 times a day trying to find anyone selling them, after I missed an auction for about $67 a box someone had. All 10 of theirs were bought by one person.

Now, anywhere, online card shops or eBay, you're lucky to even get a display box for $100-130. I'm HOPING they'll arrive before SJC Columbus, so I can have possible killer trade bait, but I'm not hoping too much, as that'll just end up getting me disappointed if it doesn't. This set looks to be hyped out the wazoo though, if nothing more than for Crush Card.

Heh my local shop owner let me in on these about 3 weeks ago and I put 5 down for prorder at 20 bucks a display box. He says his first and most likely only shipment from UD is going to be 100 Display boxes I believe. Then he's a member of a online shop owner forum where they trade products that can't move in one shop to others that can sell them for equal value or other product. He says he knows a shop or two that can not move Yugioh product at all and hopefully he can pick up there's.

Well, after finally seeing a spoiler list of this set, I can honestly say that I'm hugely disappointed and may not even open my pre-orders up and try to resell them and get my money back.

Spoiler, with a rant to follow:

Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG Gold Series (2008.04.02) [GLD1-EN]
45 cards total/45 unique (27 common, 18 Gold Rare)

Gold Rare Cards:

GLD1-EN003 Jinzo
GLD1-EN012 Don Zaloog
GLD1-EN014 Breaker the Magical Warrior
GLD1-EN015 D.D. Warrior Lady
GLD1-EN016 Dark Magician of Chaos
GLD1-EN022 Cyber Dragon
GLD1-EN024 Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World
GLD1-EN026 Grandmaster of the Six Samurai
GLD1-EN027 Prometheus, King of Shadows
GLD1-EN028 Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon
GLD1-EN029 Chimeratech Overdragon
GLD1-EN030 Swords of Revealing Light
GLD1-EN031 Heavy Storm
GLD1-EN032 Reinforcement of the Army
GLD1-EN033 Brain Control
GLD1-EN038 Crush Card Virus
GLD1-EN039 Mirror Force
GLD1-EN040 Torrential Tribute

Common Cards:

GLD1-EN001 7 Colored Fish
GLD1-EN002 Sonic Bird
GLD1-EN004 Summoner Of Illusions
GLD1-EN005 Fire Princess
GLD1-EN006 Needle Worm
GLD1-EN007 8-Claws Scorpion
GLD1-EN008 Swarm Of Scarabs
GLD1-EN009 Swarm Of Locusts
GLD1-EN010 Des Lacooda
GLD1-EN011 Newdoria
GLD1-EN013 Old Vindictive Magician
GLD1-EN017 Stealth Bird
GLD1-EN018 Regenerating Mummy
GLD1-EN019 Solar Flare Dragon
GLD1-EN020 Rare Metal Dragon
GLD1-EN021 Nightmare Penguin
GLD1-EN023 Sillva, Warlord Of Dark World
GLD1-EN025 Doom Dozer
GLD1-EN034 Offerings To The Doomed
GLD1-EN035 Non-Spellcasting Area
GLD1-EN036 Mist Body
GLD1-EN037 Pandemonium
GLD1-EN041 Needle Ceiling
GLD1-EN042 Royal Command
GLD1-EN043 Rivalry Of Warlords
GLD1-EN044 Skill Drain
GLD1-EN045 Spell Shield Type-8

Begin wall of text warning.
This is not a flame, or a blame, but I feel it needs said, especially if the UDE rep is still out there listening, I'd definitely like to go on record as a concerned consumer. What I'm really disappointed in the most, is the screwed up rarities vs. overall pack value lately.

All general packs listed contained 9 cards per normal set (8 common, 1 rare) and 12 per reprint not counting tip cards (10-11 common, 1-2 rare), and cost suggested retail of about $4 each.
Going by PTDN numbers:
48 total commons for the set. 52 total rares for the set, 10 of those not even being mentioned on the pack itself.

In contrast, Legend of Blue-Eyes:
82 total commons for the set. 44 total rares for the set, 2 of those not being mentioned on the pack itself. The big thing to note as well, was this set was an effective combination of TWO OCG sets.

In contrast, Ancient Sanctuary, and then Soul of the Duelist, the first non-combined sets:
AST: 73 total commons. 39 total rares for the set, 2 of those not being mentioned on the pack itself.
SOD: 35 total commons. 25 total rares for the set. The closer to 50-50 ratio started here, but overall you still weren't swamped with commons.

Then the reprint sets:
DB1 and DB2: 185 commons, 65 rares.
DR1: 202 commons, 65 rares.
DR3: 142 commons, 98 rares.
DR4: 131 commons, 99 rares.

Even on the reprint sets, the ratios have been slowly getting worse, however now we have Gold Series:
Packs of 25 cards. Nearly the equivalent of 3 normal packs or 2 reprint packs. Gold series is a reprint set, albeit a much smaller one, therefor choices /should/ be better.
45 card set. You get 22 commons and 3 rares per pack. The set has 27 commons and 18 rares. Suddenly the pack value is already very skewed. You get nearly an entire set of commons in every pack, making their value almost nothing at all, and you know you won't be searching for any after just a couple packs barring very bad luck. With high playability, this could be a good thing, sure, but for generalization, it's very bad to always pull the same commons over and over. Then you have 18 total rares, and you get 3 per pack. This looks to average out to being closer to the amount of commons you receive in 2 reprint packs, and the amount of rares you receive from 3 normal packs. this should put the cost of the pack somewhere between $8-12, so $10 average seems reasonable to assume, being a reprint set.

Then, you look at the MSRP of the Gold Series packs, and see that it's $20. This, I would like to point out, is where the major problem lies, with us, the consumer. With money getting tighter thanks to a terrible economy, with secondary market values of many cards becoming outrageous, for close to double what we would expect to pay for the number of reprint cards we are receiving, many of us feel alienated, and do not feel the "shininess" of the "gold rares" is worth the general price of the packs. Some out there may, but I and many other don't.

I think it's fair to say, if many, many more of the cards in the Gold Series weren't foil cards that have already had at least 2 foil versions in the past, then the set might look better to a lot of us. Those foils /should/ have been part of the commons in the set. This, and the general fact of the pack price, are why many of us feel this Gold Series is an absolute flop. Yes, there are good cards in it, and yes, most of the "foil" cards are playable, but for general value of the packs, it's an absolute failure.

I don't blame UDE or Konami specifically, but somewhere down the line, someone really dropped the ball somewhere.
End wall of text warning.

And the fact that most of the cards that are "gold" printed are crap. Why do we need yet another D.D. Warrior Lady, a dark world monster that no one will use because running a deck in this format is impossible, Then they release Chimeratech and BEUD which are two more junk cards seeing as Chimeratech was already a rare, and BEUD is junk to begin with. Then you think they might release some decent stuff in the commons but instead it's pretty much reprints of junk that has already been reprinted for the most part. The fact that they are trying to market this for the price that it's going for is absolute crap.

ehh dude i dont know where you got the spoilers from and i dont keep myself up on this kind of stuff anymore, but remember today is april 1st and that list could be an april fool's joke :p

I have to say, it is releases like these that are the core reason why I don't play Yu-Gi-Oh! It seems that all UDE does is keep reprinting the same cards over and over, and kids keep buying these packs.

How is it that UDE can figure out how to release Warcraft and Vs. without duplicating cards, that WotC can print almost 700 cards per year without reprinting more than a handful, and only 1 release in 4 for Yu-Gi-Oh! has any new cards?

ehh dude i dont know where you got the spoilers from and i dont keep myself up on this kind of stuff anymore, but remember today is april 1st and that list could be an april fool's joke :p

It's not an April's fools joke because they came in stock today. Originally they were supposed to come in the 26th and then was delayed until the 2nd but for some reason they decided to come in today. I just bought a box today, haven't opened it yet.

You know who I really feel sorry for? The hobby shop owners.

Once a couple of these packs are opened at a Tournament and the glut of garbage commons are seen these things WILL NOT sell and the shop owners will be out loads of money.

This would have been a great chance to make more of the harder to get cards
easier to find, or add in a bunch of cards we don't have yet. Isn't Japan stil well ahead of us in the card pool?

Instead we get crap like Seven Colored fish and "Gold" versions of cards that are either banned or restricted.

And apparently CCV is a one in four pull.

SO let's see. If you want a CCV you'll have spend around $80 for a CHANCE to get one. That's not much better than those god awful eBay lots.

UDE really screwed up with this set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back