Ha Des vs. Malicious

Oceanus

If "Dark Ruler Ha Des" destroys "Destiny Hero - Malicious" by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, can Malicious's cost and effect still be resolved properly?

No. The copy sent to the graveyard by Ha Des has had it's effect negated, so it cannot remove itself from play to special summon one from the deck. Like sinister serpent couldn't activate to come back to the hand.

Yeah, it's a cost, but you can't even activate the effect to pay the cost.

Not quite. While he's on the field, all Fiend-Types have the abililty to negate the effect of a monster they destroy in battle. Now because he's a Fiend, that effect applies to himself as well, but say someone came along and through DNA Surgury made everything Fish. Well, the "All Fiends can negate effects" part is still there but suddenly all the Fiends went swimming leaving a bunch of wet fish behind that won't negate a thing.

roadhouse007 said:
No. The copy sent to the graveyard by Ha Des has had it's effect negated, so it cannot remove itself from play to special summon one from the deck. Like sinister serpent couldn't activate to come back to the hand.

Yeah, it's a cost, but you can't even activate the effect to pay the cost.
I have trouble agreeing with this. This scenario is almost identical to the Skill Drain vs. Exiled Force situation.

Costs are paid before the activation of ANY effect. In essence, this is why Exiled Force's effect works while Skill Drain is on the field.

You do not declare that you are activating an effect, followed by paying the cost. Rather, you pay the cost, and then declare which effect you are activating. It specifically states this fact in the v6.0 rulebook.

So, in essence, if removing a Destiny Hero - Malicious from your Graveyard is indeed the cost to activate his effect, then I see no reason why it would be negated by Ha Des since it is no longer in the Graveyard when the effect resolves.

LionHeart said:
I have trouble agreeing with this. This scenario is almost identical to the Skill Drain vs. Exiled Force situation.

Costs are paid before the activation of ANY effect. In essence, this is why Exiled Force's effect works while Skill Drain is on the field.

You do not declare that you are activating an effect, followed by paying the cost. Rather, you pay the cost, and then declare which effect you are activating. It specifically states this fact in the v6.0 rulebook.

So, in essence, if removing a Destiny Hero - Malicious from your Graveyard is indeed the cost to activate his effect, then I see no reason why it would be negated by Ha Des since it is no longer in the Graveyard when the effect resolves.

Very simple, if you cannot activate an effect, you can't pay the cost, ergo Malicious sits negated in the grave it cannot activate it's effect, therefore you can't pay the cost.

slither said:
Very simple, if you cannot activate an effect, you can't pay the cost, ergo Malicious sits negated in the grave it cannot activate it's effect, therefore you can't pay the cost.
Dark Ruler Ha Des does not prevent the activation of effects. He simply negates the effect itself. Therefore, you can still activate the effect. Once again - the same as Skill Drain.

Also, to clarify on my previous post, the reason I think Malicious's effect would not be negated is because there is precedent involving removed from play monsters and their effects:

"¢ [Re: D.D. Scout Plane] If "D.D. Scout Plane" is destroyed by "Lesser Fiend", "D.D. Scout Plane"'s effect activates and it is Special Summoned even if "Dark Ruler Ha Des" was also in play when it was destroyed.

Despite of the wording, if an effect monster is affected by the effect of Ha Des, then its effect(s) cannot be activated.

If "Sinister Serpent", "Twin-Headed Behemoth", or "Marie the Fallen One" is destroyed by a Fiend-Type monster when this card is on the field, they will not activate on any following turn.

If "Getsu Fuhma" is destroyed by "Dark Ruler Ha Des", "Getsu Fuhma"'s effect is not activated.

If "Sinister Serpent" is destroyed as a result of battle with "Dark Ruler Ha Des" or "Dark Balter the Terrible" you cannot activate its effect and return it to your hand during your next Standby Phase, or any subsequent Standby Phase.

This is also similar to Dark Balter vs Peten:
http://lists.upperdeck.com/read/messages?id=9341#9341

Also note that the effect of Malicious is a graveyard effect, not an RFP effect. Just like Peten's effect, it will be negated by The End of Anubis:
http://lists.upperdeck.com/read/messages?id=4320#4320

Skill Drain is a very special card in the sense that it checks the location of the effect monster both at the activation and the resolution of that monster's effect.
Some other cards are not as picky as SD ;)

LionHeart said:
Dark Ruler Ha Des does not prevent the activation of effects. He simply negates the effect itself. Therefore, you can still activate the effect. Once again - the same as Skill Drain.

Also, to clarify on my previous post, the reason I think Malicious's effect would not be negated is because there is precedent involving removed from play monsters and their effects:

"¢ [Re: D.D. Scout Plane] If "D.D. Scout Plane" is destroyed by "Lesser Fiend", "D.D. Scout Plane"'s effect activates and it is Special Summoned even if "Dark Ruler Ha Des" was also in play when it was destroyed.

Activate an effect, in a sense that the effect is nullified.

orville said:
thing to remember, ha des kills any effect that happens in the graveyard. ANY EFFECT
d.d warrior lady
treeborn
everything.
:rolleyes

you sure that hades stops dd warrior lady? lady activates during the damage step, so she isnt destroyed yet.....

LeviaDragon said:
you sure that hades stops dd warrior lady? lady activates during the damage step, so she isnt destroyed yet.....

Um, yeah she would be at that point since her effect activates after damage calculation. If fact, it's even on the official FAQ.

"¢ Monster effects that activate after damage calculation will be negated if your Fiend-Type monster destroys the opposing Effect Monster. Examples include "D.D. Warrior Lady", "Thousand Needles", "Slate Warrior", "Ryu Kokki", and "Wall of Illusion".

Back