Light and darkness dragon

exiledforcefreak

RIP Jacob KT 2/16/06
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f31/shriek6/yg01/YG01-EN001.jpg

so here we have a card who's negation effect does not fit the description of any effect monster in existance.

A)it negates trap cards so it can't be a trigger effect (because trigger effects are spell speed 1 and spell speed 1 can not be chained to spell speed 2).
B)It can not be multi-trigger because it is mandatory, not optional like multi-trigger effects are supposed to be.

Despite this, it has been ruled that this card is a multi-trigger effect. I guess this makes sense as breaking the chain link rule would be alot worse. But, what I'm wondering is, if LaDD's negation effect is multi trigger, why can't it be activated multiple times in a chain like winged rhinos and strike ninja?

also, someones needs to give me a quick refresher on what it means to negate the activation without negating the effect and without destroying the card being negated(I.E. hero city 2).

Since it's a Mandatory Effect, is that really breaking any chaning rules? I simply see that as abiding by the rules, only this time, the orientations of the cards and the origins of the effects are different creating a different ladder then we're used to.
Indeed. I won't bother thinking up an example, but the alternating putting effects on the Chain only happens for optional effects (activating cards yourself, etc.). Mandatory effects will force themselves in whenever they must, as always has been the case.

Tree Born Frog > LaDD

When I read this card I believed the same thing that it's effect can only go on the chain once while I've read some Japanese rulings that say it can go on the chain multiple times. I really want to see what Upperdeck rules in the matter.

But in the end Tree Born will be the ultimate downfall to LaDD.

So, let me get this straight.

LaDD can only activate once in a chain, and it's the start of the chain. (And thus Book of Moon, Enemy Controller, Matter Transporter is good)

Continuous s/t, etc. that are already activated cannot be negated by LaDD.

Continuous s/t, etc. that's activated after LaDD already on the field will be negated and destroyed by LaDD.

Continuous Monster effects will not be negated or destroyed. (say Jinzo, Spirit Reaper and Marshmellions "invincible" effect will not be negated. But Spirit Reaper's discard effect or Marshmellon's burn effect will be negated)

The only thing you have incorrect is saying that cards are destroyed when negated.

The negation effect of "LaDD" does not destroy anything. It only negates.

so they would sit on the field needlessly until they can be removed from some other form of removal card ie mst,dust tornado,heavy storm.am i correct?
No, they just sit on the field until the chain ends, then they go to the Graveyard. Just like when a Spell Card is negated when Imperial Order is chained to it. Just like when a Trap Card is activated and Royal Decree is chained to it.

When a Spell or Trap Card is activated under regular circumstances, the card remains in on the field until the chain is fully resolved (or until something else removes it mid-chain). The only thing different from a regular chain in any of those scenarios I mentioned above is that the effect of the card is negated. The card still waits in the Spell/Trap Zone for the chain to fully resolve before going to the Graveyard.

Actually, it does.

Because it's Mandatory, and because its Negating Effect is Spell Speed 2, it will break the rules of chaining. If you control "LaDD" and if you are foolish enough to activate an effect, instead of Priority being automatically passed to your opponent due to the rules of chaining, "LaDD" will automatically insert itself as the next link on the chain attempting to negate that effect. This means you can finally activate an effect and then have another of your effects immediately chained to it before your opponent gets the chance to respond!...yay!...lol.

YAY! That is a fun concept.

Tree Born Frog > LaDD

When I read this card I believed the same thing that it's effect can only go on the chain once while I've read some Japanese rulings that say it can go on the chain multiple times. I really want to see what Upperdeck rules in the matter.

I've been wondering if LaDD would end up in high use. I read about Treeborn frog Vs LaDD a while back and I've been holding onto that piece of info for myself for a while. I love it. Although I dislike the frog. ^_^

That is correct yes, but it will attempt to negate it anyway.
So does that mean:

Light and Darkness Dragon's effect will chain itself to Spiritualism (as Chain Link 2). Upon resolution, Light and Darkness Dragon cannot negate Spiritualism, and so the effect does nothing (no negation, no ATK/DEF loss either). Chain Link 1, Spiritualism resolves just fine.

?

You've got it. Kind of funny how that works. 8^D

Interestingly enough, LaDD appears to me to be a very powerful, but fragile card. If you have the right continuous spell/trap card out that can trigger several times, you can easily lower the power down to size and be done with things. I wonder though if LaDD will begin a rise in EEV as well. If the timing is right and you don't want to deal with LaDD anymore, you can tribute it away at the first activation since it is considered a DARK monster while face up.

Tree Born Frog > LaDD

when we are talking about treeborn frog, treeborn frog starts a chain, LaDD negates it. Then the owner of treeborn decides to use treeborn again and start an entirely different chain, to which LaDD will negate it again.

Untill finally LaDD won't have the atk/def to negate treeborn and it will be special summoned successfully.

There is a HUGE difference between negating multiple effects on the SAME chain and negating the first effect on SEPERATE chains.

Back