Metamorphosis and Batterymen Have a Showdown

Oceanus

My opponent has two monsters on the field, "Ryu Senshi", and "Destiny Hero Fear Monger". Nothing else anywhere.

I have "Batteryman AA" (AA) in the Graveyard, "Battery Charger" on the field, and "Inferno Reckless Summon" (IRS) in my hand.

I activate Charger, Special Summoning the AA. I then respond with IRS, what could possibly happen?

Your Batterym"e"n would be summoned, your opponent would select one of his monsters and summon the copies of it (copies of Ryu Senshi wouldn't be able to be summoned though), your Batteryman(s) would increase thier attack to 3000.

Alright, the biggest problem has been trying to figure out whether "Ryu Senshi" could be selected since the Fusion Deck was 0, and the Graveyard was 0, and also if IRS targets the opponent's monster, because if it did Ryu would negate it and destroy all hopes of me winning that situation.

The only way you can activate Inferno Reckless Summon is if you Special Summon the Batteryman AA from your Graveyard in defense position. Otherwise, both Batteryman AA will have 2000 ATK, making you unable to activate Inferno Reckless Summon (This is similar to how you can bottomless a Command Knight. As soon as the monster hits the field, it automatically has the ATK increase because it is a Continuous Effect.).

Then, you'll Special Summon a third Batteryman AA. However, since you have two Batteryman AA already on the field in different battle positions, all of your Batteryman AA will have 0 ATK (notice the text on Batteryman AA - "If all...").

Inferno Reckless Summon does not target.

Further, the only requirement is that your opponent only needs to have at least 1 face-up monster on their side of the field. There's nothing in the card effect that says if they can't special summon something that you would lose your part of the effect (Say they had Sangan and DD Warrior Lady). In this case though, they'd get 2 other Destiny Hero - Fear Mongers.

Oceanus said:
My worry was that they woud target "Ryu Senshi", in which case would negate and destroy it.

Even if Ryu Senshi is the only monster on their side of the field, like I said, nothing is selected when the card is activated so nothing is targeted.

Another way of looking at it is that if your card allows your opponent to select a card (even if there is only one card to select) that card does not target the card they select. For your card to target their monster, you (or the card you play) must select your opponent's monster, not them.

Back