Ongoing Refresher

Digital Jedi

Administrator
Staff member
Can't remember if the ability even exists, but I recall you being able to negate the effect of an Ongoing Plot Twist. In the event I'm not misremembering things, when you negate the play of an Ongoing Plot Twist in chain and played from the Resource Row, does the Ongoing Effect remain active anyway? Say I play Spider Slayers and the effect doesn't resolve because it's negated. Do I still get to use the ongoing effect and pay 4 to flip it face-down later that turn? If this kind of negation doesn't even exist then let's just make it a hypothetical scenario then.

There aren't many effects that can negate a plot twist effect from an ongoing plot twist. In fact, I believe Psychic Struggle is the only negator that allows you to stop an ongoing effect.

That being said, it is a one time shot. It negates one effect. Therefore the ongoing part could be used again when legal in the case of it being a plot twist like, Pay 4 turn it face down.

Actually, the Conclave only does non-Ongoing Plot Twists. ;)

Nevertheless, lets say in my example Spider Slayers is played from my Resource Row and Psychic Struggle is played to negate it:
Psychic Struggle
Plot Twist

Play Psychic Struggle only if you control a Mental character.

Negate target plot twist or location effect targeting a character you control.​
Then only the +2 ATK effect is negated, but the pay 4 trigger effect could be payed later. Okay, I can grasp that. Now what happens if the Ongoing Plot Twists is a Crossover effect? If played this same way, would Psychic Struggle negate the selection process, thereby making the Ongoing effect meaningless? Or is selection even considered an effect?

Thanks chaosruler. I knew there was another one recently that I wasn't remembering.

And you are correct DJ about the crossover choice. Whenever a team-up card is flipped that tells you to select affiliations that effect is actually placed on the chain. So if you could negate that choosing effect, then the ongoing part of the card would be fairly useless.

I guess that brings up an interesting strategical point. If you could remove one your opponent's characters from the field before resolution of the effect, he wouldn't have the addition Team Affiliation to choose from upon resolution. See, this why I wish we discussed stuff more in the Vs sections. These strategical points don't come up often enough. Thanks.

How are you negating the choosing of a team affiliation? Choosing is a cost to play the card. Once paid, who cares where they are after that?

Also, just because something says non-ongoing plot twist, that does not mean it can negate the effect prior to the word Ongoing. An ongoing plot twist is a plot twist with the Ongoing icon on it. It doesn't matter whether or not the effect is before or after the Ongoing word.

In some of the previous examples, they there's a requirement that it targets a character; yet the examples refer to effects that "target" team affilliations or are non-targeting.

As a last note, the part of an Ongoing plot twist after the Ongoing word becomes active the moment the card is played (doesn't use the chain). Only the section before Ongoing uses the chain.

304.10 The text after the word "ongoing" describes the plot twist's ongoing powers. These powers do not follow the rules of playing effects. If the plot twist was played from hand, these powers do not produce any modifiers; if the plot twist was played from the resource row, these powers become active as the plot twist becomes "played" (after all the steps of playing it are done, but before a player receives priority). (See 505.1e.)

Example: Concrete Jungle reads, "Each of your opponents turns all locations he controls face down. <p> Ongoing: Whenever an opponent flips a location, that opponent discards a card." The ongoing triggered power is active once the plot twist is played, while the effect is still on the chain; the effect's modifier that turns the locations face down doesn't happen until the effect resolves. If an opponent flips a location in response to this plot twist, the ongoing triggered power will trigger off that.

So I flip a location (1).
I pass.
You flip Concrete Jungle.
You pass.
I flip another location (2).
I pass.
You pass.
Concrete Jungle's effect makes me discard for location (2).
We pass.
Both locations turn face down.
We pass.

Assuming, of course, that the locations had no effects and nothing else was played.

Back