Pegasus League Deck Challenge

maximillion_pegasus.png

Have you heard of the Pegasus League, yet? In January of 2010, Konami instituted the first of their bi-monthly events known as the Pegasus League.

The concept behind the League is one that we've seen a few hobby stores try locally, but never on an officially organized level. The hope is to stimulate and reward innovative deck building and strategy with specially themed events that change the normal rules of the game in simple, yet substantial ways. January/February saw off the first of these tournaments with decks limited to cards from Raging Battle, Ancient Prophecy, Stardust Overdrive, the Spellcaster’s Command Structure Deck, the Warriors’ Strike Structure Deck, Starter Deck 2009, Duelist Pack – Yugi –, Turbo Pack: Booster One, Hidden Arsenal, Duelist League 2009, Raging Battle Special Edition, Ancient Prophecy Special Edition, Stardust Overdrive Special Edition, Duelist Pack – Yusei 2 –, Absolute Powerforce and the Machina Mayhem Structure Deck along with a very limited Limited List.

March/April kicks off with a whole new deal that, anyone who remembers my deck lists from years ago, knows I would fit right in to. "DOUBLE DECK" months will require your deck to have exactly 100 cards in your Main Deck, up to 30 cards in your Extra Deck and two draws during the Draw Phase. All other standard rules of the Advance Format list still apply.

The great thing about the Pegasus League is not just the break in monotony that inevitably takes hold of every meta, but that these games aren't just for show. They count for something. Points to be specific. That's right, points are awarded to the winner based on wins. For each completed round, for each Swiss Match win and for the overall tournament win, you get 1 point each. That means, depending on turnout, that your going to net at least a few handful of points even if you don't do all that well. And this is weekly for two months each. Which means your going to have a real chance to test out some obscure strategies, and net points for your troubles. And that's not even to mention the prizes for your $5.00 entry fee.

1st Place: 6 Turbo Packs
2nd Place: 4 Turbo Packs
3rd Place: 3 Turbo Packs
4th Place: 2 Turbo Packs

Not bad for trying to be original. It's endeavors like these that make me cautiously optimistic about the total control Konami now has over the game. However, I reserve the right to make funny cartoons mocking their business decisions. (See an upcoming issue of Pwnd.)

If your local shop doesn't already run Official Pegasus Tournaments, then be sure to be annoying until they do or they ban you from the store. Either way, it's win/win. Or something...

So here's my challenge. Start with my old Jank Deck from '06 (Geez, have I been out of it THAT long?) Rework the deck for the current ban list and beef it up to 100 cards to qualify for the Pegasus League. Or, just come up with something on your own. Post the deck in the Advance Format section and select the Prefix [Pegasus League] from right beside where you put the title. Let's see how creative and strategic you are when the rules are flipped a bit, then try and run this deck at your next Pegasus Tournament near you.

DECK NAME: Jank Engine v3.0 Beta

Monsters
  1. Balloon Lizard
  2. Balloon Lizard
  3. Balloon Lizard
  4. Cyber Jar
  5. Exiled Force
  6. Exiled Force
  7. Lava Golem
  8. Lava Golem
  9. Lava Golem
  10. Sangan
  11. Spirit Reaper
Spells
  1. Final Countdown
  2. Fissure
  3. Fissure
  4. Fissure
  5. Level Limit - Area B
  6. Offerings to the Doomed
  7. Offerings to the Doomed
  8. Offerings to the Doomed
  9. Scapegoat
  10. Nightmare's Steelcage
  11. Nightmare's Steelcage
Traps
  1. Bottomless Trap Hole
  2. Bottomless Trap Hole
  3. Bottomless Trap Hole
  4. Gravity Bind
  5. Magic Jammer
  6. Magic Jammer
  7. Magic Jammer
  8. Nightmare Wheel
  9. Nightmare Wheel
  10. Ojama Trio
  11. Ojama Trio
  12. Royal Oppression
  13. Royal Oppression
  14. Sakuretsu Armor
  15. Sakuretsu Armor
  16. Sakuretsu Armor
  17. Threatening Roar
  18. Threatening Roar
  19. Threatening Roar
  20. Trap Hole
  21. Trap Hole
  22. Trap Hole
  23. Thunder of Ruler
  24. Thunder of Ruler
  25. Waboku
  26. Waboku
  27. Waboku
Be sure to post progress reports to let us know how you faired. Remember, I live vicariously through people with more money and/or free time than me. Help a brother out.

Sources: http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/league/pegasus_league/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back