Question of Recovery Phase

Hectzilla

weee time for confusion!
ok...we all know the Evasion keyword "you may stun this character and it recovers at the start of the recovery phase" ok...now then here's where the question comes...

Now...the question regards Aunt May...not her first effect, but her 2nd which says;

At the start of the recovery phase, gain 1 endurance for each non-stunned Spider-Friends character you control.

Now...here's where things get tricky. A lot of spider-friends have evasion. If..say...just 1 spider-friend used Evasion during the course of a turn, and Aunt May was still face up at the start of recovery, can you gain the 1 endurance when your other spider-friend recovers at the start of recovery?

sorry if it sounds confusing.

Well if it works like im thinking then it works like this. Ya build the chain with aunt may first. Then you add on the effects of waking up your guys with a nice cold bucket of water. They get up and start hopping around and you gain endurance. Yippeeeeeee

thats what i was thinking too...cuz in the rules it says everything that says "at the start of recovery phase" goes off at the same time basically...so if thats the case...BIZAM i get...like...3 endurance, because i usually don't have any many guys out :(

I don't think you will gain endurance for stunned characters at the start of the recovery phase. Aunt May's effect is a trigger effect and would target upon activation. If you have no non-stunned characters her effect wouldn't activate. I could be wrong on this though.

Below is the rule I am looking at. I'm not 100% sure if Aunt May falls under that catagory though.

502.1a Some triggered powers trigger off an event and have an additional trigger condition. That condition is checked only upon triggering and not on resolution.

Then there is this rule.

506.4 If a triggered effect requires targets, but legal targets for that effect can't be chosen, or if other choices made on announcement can't legally be made for it, the effect is removed from the chain before its announcement is finished, and the game proceeds without the triggered effect on the chain.

Aunt May:
You may discard a Spider-Friends character card from your hand rather than pay Aunt May's recruit cost.
At the start of the recovery phase, gain 1 endurance for each non-stunned Spider-Friends character you control.

Aunt May's only trigger condition is the start of the Recovery Phase, which is checked when her effect goes on the chain. And she doesn't require the selection of a target to put her effect on the chain. So, even if you control no non-stunned characters her effect will always go on the chain as long as she is face-up on the field at the start of the recovery phase.

So, here is how this would break down, Start of Recovery, Aunt May's effect triggers, there is no condition that will stop it from going on the chain, Aunt May's effect goes on the chain. Next you chain the evasion recovery, they stack on top of Aunt May's effect. Resolve the chain, First in Last Out, Evasion recovery happens followed by aunt mays effect.

After looking into more rules I see where I was wrong. I was thinking she selected a target when she does not. She is just looking for a certain thing (in this case non-stunned spider-friends).

Back