Special Summon: Negate or Respond

Tiso

Calculative Duelist
I am sorting through some rulings on that UDE list manager thing and I came across something that had me interested. Regarding Horn of Heaven and Solemn Judgment Vs. Monster Reborn. Horn of Heaven cannot respond to Monster Reborn effect of the Special Summon, which is odd because why is it we can activate Torrential Tribute in response to Call of the Haunted or Premature Burial? Same went for Solemn Judgment with the Horn of Heaven scenario, except you have to negate the card itself instead of after the monster is on the field.

Technically they don't get activated "After" the summon (as that would imply that the monster had successfully reached the field and thus Continuous Effects would be active and so on and so forth). Rather the summon negators are activated in response to the Summon being announced.

So Joey announces that he will tribute Rocket Warrior to Summon Jinzo.
Rocket Warrior is sent to the Graveyard for the tribute.
Kaiba can activate Horn of Heaven in response to this Summon before it is successful (before Jinzo has hit the field), he does so and Jinzo is destroyed without ever having been successfully summoned and without his Continuous Effect ever having been applied to the field.

So it truly is an entirely different window than the Torrential Tribute/Trap Hole response timing.

Back