• No

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Wasn't dueling back then

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnyHungry

Man, you know what i remember, back in the day of LOB, and all that there was no such thing as a monster with 4 stars and an attack 1800 +, when blue eyes, gaia, and dark magician where the s---. Anyone remember those days, before all the banning of cards, before the game was the metagame it is today.

When the best 4 star one could get was 1600, and that was if you had that doll from pegasis starter. Oh, yeah and the most hard core combo out there was making B. Skull Dragon, lol. Anyone else 'member those days... Cause i sure as hell just did

Last edited by a moderator:
eh...By the time I came into it, everyone was complaining about Chaos Control. The Envoys were just begging to be banned and Yata-Lock was still an issue. I couldn't tell you when that was, just that the first tournament (a local) I ever watched was all about the lock down. I said....hmm, maybe there is something to this game. People are still complaining, I guess. So how far back would you take your dream duel? Certainly before IOC.... AST? MRL? MRD? MFC? LOD? How about, only those cards in Dark Beginning 1? Whatever your list, you MUST have the four biggies: Blue-Eyes, Dark Magician (w/girl), Red-Eyes, and the XYZ. Besides the toons, those were the big dogs of origin. Anyway, JohnHungry, List your "legal" sets and we'll come try to up with some cools decks (also note any tin promos, like Jinzo and Dark Magician Girl, that you wil allow). This could be fun!!

you know la jinn and rogue doll were out in the kiaba starter and back then even in the small school groups people used blue-eyes (only because you could flute it out with lord of d.) and summoned skull (cause he was the biggest monster out side of blue-eyes you could play reliably.)

I don't know what happened but over time my ability to get flute, lord, and blue-eyes together went away with all of my luck(no luck based cards work for me and lightsworn mills really bad for me as well). I used to get those together all the time but now I can never get them.

Forgot about La Jinn, and isn't rogue doll the 1600 attk?

Anyway...

So how far back would you take your dream duel? Certainly before IOC.... AST? MRL? MRD? MFC? LOD? How about, only those cards in Dark Beginning 1? Whatever your list, you MUST have the four biggies: Blue-Eyes, Dark Magician (w/girl), Red-Eyes, and the XYZ. Besides the toons, those were the big dogs of origin. Anyway, JohnHungry, List your "legal" sets and we'll come try to up with some cools decks (also note any tin promos, like Jinzo and Dark Magician Girl, that you wil allow). This could be fun!!

This though will go more beyond all of that...
That does sound like a good idea... Alright the sets should be from LOB to PGD.
Including all starter, structure, and tins around then.

Limited:
CALL OF THE HAUNTED
CARD DESTRUCTION
CEASEFIRE
CHANGE OF HEART
CONFISCATION
CYBER JAR
DARK HOLE
DELINQUENT DUO
EXODIA THE FORBIDDEN ONE
FIBER JAR
FISSURE
GIANT TRUNADE
GRACEFUL CHARITY
HARPIE'S FEATHER DUSTER
HEAVY STORM
IMPERIAL ORDER
JINZO
LAST TURN
LAST WILL
LEFT ARM OF THE FORBIDDEN ONE
LEFT LEG OF THE FORBIDDEN ONE
LIMITER REMOVAL
MAGE POWER
MAGIC CYLINDER
MAGICIAN OF FAITH
MEGAMORPH
METAMORPHOSIS
MIRAGE OF NIGHTMARE
MIRROR FORCE
MONSTER REBORN
MONSTER GATE
MORPHING JAR
NOBLEMAN OF CROSSOUT
PAINFUL CHOICE
POT OF GREED
PREMATURE BURIAL
RAIGEKI
REASONING
RIGHT ARM OF THE FORBIDDEN ONE
RIGHT LEG OF THE FORBIDDEN ONE
RING OF DESTRUCTION
SANGAN
SCAPEGOAT
SINISTER SERPENT
SNATCH STEAL
SPIRIT REAPER
SWORDS OF REVEALING LIGHT
THE FORCEFUL SENTRY
THOUSAND-EYES RESTRICT
TIME SEAL
TORRENTIAL TRIBUTE
TRAP DUSTSHOOT
TRIBE-INFECTING VIRUS
TSUKUYOMI
TWIN-HEADED BEHEMOTH
ULTIMATE OFFERING
UNITED WE STAND
WALL OF REVEALING LIGHT
WITCH OF THE BLACK FOREST
YATA-GARASU

Semi-Limited:
BOOK OF MOON
CARD OF SAFE RETURN
GRAVITY BIND
MASK OF DARKNESS
MYSTICAL SPACE TYPHOON
NOBLEMAN OF CROSSOUT

Well... i think that looks good.

Last edited:
I guess I'd have to say yes, if only for the fact that I miss the opportunities I used to have to play more often. The guys who got me into the game quickly moved onto other games, and I'm more of a loyalist whenever I find something I like. They would consider themselves players of only one game at a time, while I would consider every game I learn as part of the pantheon of "games I play".

But I'd have to say, I do miss when Gravity Bind and Level Limit - Area B were at three. Solar Flare Dragon locks where way easier back then.

Alright the sets should be from LOB to PGD.
Including all starter, structure, and tins around then.

And those would be.....
LOB..?...?...?...?...?....?...?...?...PGD

I'm not up on the order of when things came out (sorry). I'm assuming that would include all the first run tins (Tinzo, Gearfried, XYZ, etc.). Where there any TPs or VG Promos?

Better, yet, does anyone have a series list? You know, something that shows what order everything came out in. I thought someone had posted it once a couple of years ago, but I can't find it.

yes rouge doll is the 1600 atk monster you were talking about we also got ryukishin powered in the same starter witch is also 1600 atk.

Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon - March 2002

Dark Duel Stories(GBC) - March 2002 (Acid Trap Hole, Salamandra, Seiyaryu)

Starter Deck: Kaiba - March 2002

Starter Deck: Yugi - March 2002

Metal Raiders - June 2002

Spell Ruler (Magic Ruler) - September 2002

The Eternal Duelist Soul (GBA) - October 2002(Exchange, Graceful Dice, Skull Dice)

Forbidden Memories (PS1) - November 2002 (Red-Eyes Black Metal Dragon, Metalmorph, Harpies Pet Dragon)

Pharaoh's Servant - December 2002

Shonen Jump Magazine (alternate art for Blue-Eyes White Dragon) - January 2003

Duelist of the Roses(PS2) - February 2003 (Alpha the Magnet Warrior, Beta the Magnet Warrior, Gamma the Magnet Warrior)

Dungeon Dice Monsters(GBA) - March 2003 (I don't think it came with any cards but someone else could try to find out)

Labyrinth of Nightmare - March 2003

Starter Deck: Joey - April 2003

Starter Deck: Pegasus - April 2003

World Wide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel - April 2003 (Sinister Serpent, Harpies Feather Duster, Valkyrion the Magna Warrior)

Legacy of Darkness - May 2003

Pharaonic Guardian - July 2003

Booster Pack Tin bpt-001-006 (Dark Magician, Summoned Skull, Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Lord of D., Red-Eyes B. Dragon, B. Skull Dragon)

the first six booster pack tins (don't confuse them with the collector tins we get now) probably came out within this time frame but the second set of six wasn't until after magicians force which was the next set after Pharaonic Gaurdian.

I couldn't find release dates for the booster pack tins

If you want to add more you can go to here to see what else came out until 2004. I know it takes you to p o j o but it's wear the info is at. wiki didn't help much.

I completely forgot about tournament packs brownie points* for anyone who can find which ones fit into this time frame

*Brownie points cannot be exchanged for actual brownies anymore unfortunately due to the last batch disappearing in the mail

Last edited:
Tournament Packs have been realseased as followed:

Pack 1: Sept 1st 2002
Pack 2: October 1st 2002
Pack 3: March 1st 2003
Pack 4: ????? ?? 200?
Pack 5: November 1st 2004

The 4th pack from my own guess is in '03 as well... or possible '04. So I am really not to sure...

Last edited:
It'd be easier to say that Pack 1 was released on the 1st of September 2002, to avoid everyone being confused by the American dating system. I think everyone should be forced to spell out the months (or at least abbreviate them) - I know I always do.

yyyy-mm-dd. Or mm-dd-yyyy, which is even more stupid. At first glance you would have no idea when 4/9/08 was (4th September or 9th April?). WRITE THE MONTH OUT!

Numerical conversion? You mean 1/6/08 being in January? No, that's only universal in America. We Brits do things the proper way round (the sections of the date go in the order smallest -> largest time increment). In fact, we do a lot of things properly, like spelling and driving on the left. Is America trying to be different just for the sake of it?

Hey, thanks guys. BTW when y'all across the pond talk of Christmas, do you say it happens on the twenty-fifth of December, or December twenty-fifth. Like if I ask when Boxing Day (Brilliant custom BTW) happens this year and we were talking (not typing) how would you typically say it?

Numerical conversion? You mean 1/6/08 being in January? No, that's only universal in America. We Brits do things the proper way round (the sections of the date go in the order smallest -> largest time increment). In fact, we do a lot of things properly, like spelling and driving on the left. Is America trying to be different just for the sake of it?

America has changed how they do things to be different from Great Britain shortly after America broke away from Great Britain to sever links to Great Britain

I wouldn't call either way proper since they both are equally effective in their own regions. Spelling out or abbreviating the months should be done universally to avoid confusion.

Spelling unfortunately has diminished thanks to chat rooms, forums, and text messaging. It isn't just Americans that have spelling problems it is actually a world wide problem. America does have a lot of internet users and .com is primarily used by America

About 70% of countries in the world drive on the right as opposed to about 30% drive on the left.

Now I don't think that one way is more proper than the other given the technological and social changes in the world since the time it would have been proper. There was a time when left-hand driving(riding in this case) would have been proper but since we no longer fight on horseback with swords and clubs the reason to drive on one side as opposed to others has really went away and the only reason to do so is whether or not you are following traditional customs or not.

Japan holds tradition in the highest regards so they will probably never change the side of the road they drive on but it doesn't matter whether they do or not.

and to DarkLogician I don't think it will matter which way you say it they will understand it either way. Boxing Day is what Christmas should be.

Here is a link to the site for more info on the side of the road people drive on and they have a nice little picture too.
and here is a link to the definition of proper

Last edited:
Well, I didn't think 2001-09-01 was gonna' bring up a problem wow... that is interestin' info though. I guess you really can learn things no matter where you are, lol. Well... i fixed it all, so there ya go!

Yeah, we have a tendency to do that around here. We seen to be information junkies. We have a broad view of "on-topic". ;)

I'm still going to advocate the list from before Level Limit and Gravity Bind where semi-limited. Of course, that wholly self motivated. :evil:

I would REALLY like to come to a consensus of sorts for what we can agree to be the "old School" when-YuGiOh!-was-fun list.

Sorry for this next double post. I got an "Out of Memory Line 1" error and didn't see this one post, so I wrote it differently below.

Last edited:
So, then, are we all agreed with JohnHungry's LOB to PGD + promos of the period as the last "old school" set before things got out of hand? And can we all agree to his restricted list as fair for the time (I mean, does anybody remember what the last list looked like before the next set came out?)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back