Torrential vs. Hand of Nephthys

Dasher

I have a simple question: I have only one monster on the field (opponent has none). I summon HoN and use her effect. Can opponent chain Torrential? I was thinking that he cannot because there is no monster on the field after I tribute HoN and my other monster.

Certainly they can still chain Torrential Tribute, just because YOU don't have a monster on the field doesn't mean they don't have a monster on the field. Emissary of the Afterlife or two on the field might just give them the game.

In the scenario where the opponent has no monster and you tributed both of yours, I would have to say that Torrential Tribute could not be activated, simply because, as you said, it would not do anything. Broken down further:

1) Summon Hand of Nephthys
2) As turn player, priority to activate the ignition effect, and tribute both monsters, no monsters on the field now.
3) The opponent now has an opportunity to respond, with the timing window for Torrential Tribute still perfect, but since Torrential Tribute won't do anything at this point, it would be illegal to activate.
4) Unable to respond, Sacred Phoenix of Nephthys comes out onto the field.
5) The opponent has an opportunity to now activate Torrential Tribute since it will be able to destroy something.

You can't activate Torrential Tribute if there are no monsters on the field.

Per Netrep:
"You can only activate this card when a monster is Normal Summoned, Flip Summoned or Special Summoned. Destroy all monsters on the field."

Activation requires a monster being summoned in some fashion or another in order to activate the card. It doesn't matter if you want your S/T zone clear for Treeborn Frog. No monster summoned, no activation.

Back