Updated Metamorphosis Ruling

This now supercedes what was answered as a Mailing List question.

"Metamorphosis":

If you activated "Soul Exchange" targeting your opponent's monster, if the monster is face-down, you cannot Tribute it as a cost for "Metamorphosis".

So no more worrying about "fizzling". You as the player must know the level of the monster in order to activate Metamorphosis (so that you can't activate it when you don't have the right fusion level).

Tkwiget said:
Actually I disagree on that Fiendish, I think that Metamorposis and the Mechanics of the game requires it to know what level the monster is. If it does then you can activate Metamorphosis. I don't know, I might be thinking too hard on that. =/
The rule is, if it's an activation cost, it's okay if only you know that the card fits the conditions.

Ok, I was too focused on the actual card knowing what the monster's level was. So if it's an opponent's face down monster you can. That is if it's on their side right? Because of that's the case then Creature Swap and get a face down would basically mean that you can't use Metamorphosis on it right? (I don't use the card but I'll need to know.)

densetsu_x said:
If you activated "Soul Exchange" targeting your opponent's monster, if the monster is face-down, you cannot Tribute it as a cost for "Metamorphosis".

So no more worrying about "fizzling". You as the player must know the level of the monster in order to activate Metamorphosis (so that you can't activate it when you don't have the right fusion level).

if i saw that he has a Stealth Bird,which he turned face down,
i know what level his monster is.
so i can Soul Exchange/Metamorphosis his facedown Stealth Bird,
right?
if not the ruling is poor-worded so please fix it.

The way it's worded it makes it seem like if the monster is face-down on your opponent's side of the field, period, you dont get to use it for Metamorphisis.

yes,yes,the wording is OK,what i meant was the Reasoning
is IMO a little off.
You as the player must know the level of the monster in order to activate Metamorphosis(so that you can't activate it when you don't have the right fusion level)

i mean,if i activate it on opponents Stealth Bird, i KNOW the level
so, it won't happen that i don't have the Appropriate fusion level
monster.

that's what bugged me,sorry for MY bad wording :eek:
(english is not my native language as you may have noticed here and there...)

Well, that part is actually densetsu_x's comment on the ruling and not the official ruling itself. Only the part in ARIAL font there is the offical part.

"Metamorphosis":

We're all just extrpolating from there. I actually feel a little bit differently on the ruling than most who have commented here. (But what else is new :p)

I don't see how you could interpret this ruling any other way. You can't activate Metamorphosis with the intention of Tributing your opponent's face-down monster as the cost (when you are allowed to Tribute your opponent's monster because of Soul Exchange). Simple.

Further, I don't see how this topic could have gone on this long.

The question Tkwiget rose above is that, if I give my opponent 1 of my face-down monsters by Creature Swap, could I use Metamorphosis on that face-down monster now controlled by my opponent? Answer: no. Officially it's a face-down monster on your opponent's side of the field, so you don't know what card it is, nor whether it's a valid target for Metamorphosis. You may 'know' which card it is because you gave it to them (you certainly will know what it is, actually, since it's your card) but in the eyes of the Game Mechanics you don't.

Bill said:
The card listing for Metamorphosis still says you may tribute a facedown monster, just not for Soul Exchange, probably because you don't know the level of your opponent's facedown monster, but you do know the level of your own.
Exactly right. You control your face-down monster, so you know what Level it is. You cannot Tribute your opponent's face-down monster because you don't know what Level it is (in your eyes, it's just a random monster in face-down Defence position).

Back