Fantasy Yu-Gi-Oh!: Virtual Disaster

S

starjake

Hey y'all,

Since fanfics seem to be popular around here, I figured I'd add in my two cents. So, without further ado, I give you...

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Virtual Disaster

Chapter 1 "“ Commencement Dance

I stood in front of the card shop and looked at my reflection; at the person about to register for his first tournament. He had the unusual combination of dirty-blond hair and green eyes. He was tall and relatively skinny. The reflection stared back at me, wide eyes taking note of my details as I took note of his. I thought at it, Watch as you totally bomb your first tournament, Jake. That would be rather embarrassing.

But embarrassment would have to take the back burner. It was one thing to be embarrassed after a tournament, but to worry about it beforehand would be kind of like burning a bridge and then trying to cross it.

Taking a deep breath, a quick here goes nothing whipped through my head as I walked through the door to the registration table.

A smiling woman behind the table examined each card in my deck. I started thinking to myself again. Good thing I only use English cards. Heck, I don't think I even own any Japanese cards. Oh wait; I do have that Japanese Humanoid Worm Drake. What a great card that is.

Still smiling, the woman handed me my deck back. "Everything passes. Good luck." She walked away to deal with another young boy who had just walked in. I glanced over at who it was, then did a double-take. Jet-black hair, a muscular athletic build, and two all-too-familiar piercing brown eyes"¦it was my friend, Bryan!

Since when does Bryan do card games? I thought he was too much of a sports fanatic to even have time to duel, let alone want to. Huh, it'll be fun to watch him.

"Yo, Jake! Surprise, surprise!"

"Hey Bryan, I had no idea! Since when do you keep secrets from me?"

"Well, I really only just started a few weeks ago. It was kind of my competitive edge that made me want to take it up. I mean, this is a game you could beat me in, and we can't have that now, can we?" he said with a wink.

I rolled my eyes. Bryan's "˜competitive edge' is what most people would consider "˜psychotic behavior'.

"How good are you anyway, Jake?"

I shrugged. "This is my first tourney, so I don't really know. I guess I'll find out."

"Cool. Well, I'll see you later."

"Later."

I waited around a while as people filtered in. Most were younger than me, but I saw a few older guys, "˜older' meaning around 40 or so!

Wow, I thought to myself. They must be collectors or something. I couldn't imagine doing this for a living.

After about ten more minutes, the thirty-something registration woman (with that same grin plastered on her face), got our attention.

"Hello, and welcome to today's tournament. Thank you all for coming out this morning.

For those of you who might not know the rules, they are very simple: use common sense. Keep equal amounts of dignity and humility whether you win or lose. As for the more specific rules"¦due to time constraints, we will be working under a single-Duel system, meaning that there will be no Matches. The winner of a duel will be given one card pack. The tournament champion will not only receive a nice-looking trophy, but he or she will also receive their choice of any one card this shop carries."

There was an excited murmur through the crowd as everybody wondered what card they would choose if they won. I wondered the same myself.

What kind of card would I want? I think I have every card I need"¦oh, well; I probably won't win the tournament anyway.

I suddenly realized the woman was speaking again.

"If you look to your right "“ ," she gestured " "“ you will see a screen showing you"¦oh, hang on, it isn't down yet"¦"

Everyone was looking curiously at the empty space where she had gestured. There was nothing but ceiling. She clapped twice, and out of the ceiling came a large but thin TV screen.

Impressive, I thought to myself. Nice technology.

Pressing a button on the side of this new contraption, she went on. "As I was saying, you will see a screen to your right "“," she gestured again, earning a laugh or two from a few people " "“ which will show you who will be dueling who. I suggest you keep a close eye on this screen, and please follow what it says. We are unfortunately unable to arrange for everybody to duel whomever they would like. Now, I believe the computer has finished organizing your duels, so good luck to all, and may the best duelist win!"

There was a quick cheer, and then everyone crowded around the screen to see whom they were dueling and at what table. After a minute or two, there was enough space for me to see the screen up close. I was at table 4 with someone named Norman.

Hmm"¦I don't know anyone named Norman. I guess I'll have to wait and see who he is.

I waded through the sea of mostly younger kids until I made it to table 4. And there, I found out who Norman was.

He was one of those 40-somethings I saw earlier!

Uh-oh. Something tells me he's probably way more experienced than I am at this kind of thing. Dang, I don't wanna lose in the first match!

"Hello. You must be Jake."

"I am. Norman, I take it?"

He stuck out his hand. "The pleasure is mine. Shall we?"

"Sure," I replied, shaking his hand. We sat down.

"So what number tournament is this for you, Jake?"

"One," I mumbled.

He looked slightly surprised. "That's great! This is my first official tournament, too!"

I perked up a bit at this. "Oh. I was worried that I was gonna get crushed by someone who'd been here a thousand times before."

He laughed. "Well, this is the first official tournament. I've been in plenty of unofficial tournaments before. I'm sure you've dueled plenty before, too, right?"

I nodded.

"Well, then, who needs official experience? Unofficial experience is much more useful in my opinion. Anyway, enough with the small talk. Let's duel! I'll let you go first, since you're younger."

This is going well, I thought as I drew my first six cards. At least he's a nice guy.

I examined my hand carefully as Norman drew five cards from his deck. I had drawn Solar Flare Dragon, Mystical Space Typhoon, UFO Turtle, Magic Cylinder, Barrel Behind the Door, and Lava Golem.

Hmm. Not a bad hand. I can hopefully get my Solar Flare Dragon combo out early.

"OK, Norman. I'll set these two cards face-down, and a monster in defense mode. Go ahead."

Norman drew his sixth card. After thinking a moment, he said, "I'll set one card face-down, and then summon Kinetic Soldier (1350 / 1800) in attack mode."

Kinetic Soldier? Weird monster. Well, I'll let it destroy my UFO Turtle.

"However, I won't attack. Yet. It's your move."

Startled, I drew another card.

Hmm"¦Blazing Inpachi. I wonder why he didn't attack? Oh well, I'll just leave my Turtle in defense without doing much.

"I won't play anything this turn. Go ahead."

Norman drew.

"A stall tactic? Won't work for long. I activate my face-down DNA Transplant to turn every monster on the field into a Water-type. Now, I'll play A Legendary Ocean, then I'll summon Sea Serpent Warrior of Darkness (2000 / 1700) in attack mode. I'll have Kinetic Soldier attack your face-down card."

Yes! "Thanks, Norman. You've destroyed my UFO Turtle. Now, I can Special Summon any Fire monster from my Deck in Attack Mode, as long as that monster has 1500 ATK or less. And"¦er"¦" I stuttered as I searched through my Deck. Where'd my Solar Flare Dragon go? C'mon"¦oh, there it is. "I choose Solar Flare Dragon (1700 / 1200)."

He shrugged. "Too bad you won't be able to use its effect. My Sea Serpent Warrior will attack it."

"Correction: it'll attack you," I interjected, flipping over my Magic Cylinder.

"Ah, rats. I should've known there was a trap waiting to bite me. OK, I'm down by 2000," he said, scratching out the 8000 on his sheet of paper and writing 6000. "I'll set this face-down and end my turn."

OK, I hope this is good. My Solar Flare Dragon will take away 500 of his Life Points at the end of my turn, but it won't be able to stand up to his monster next time he attacks, I thought as I drew the next card.

Wow, am I lucky! Ring of Destruction! I'll be able to wipe him out at the beginning of his next turn!

"I'll set two more cards face-down, then sacrifice your Soldier and Serpent Warrior to summon Lava Golem (3200 / 2700)!"

"Very well," he said, sending his two monsters to the Graveyard as I placed Lava Golem on his side of the field in defense mode. "But I'm afraid I have a chain to that."

Uh-oh. "What is it?"

He flipped over the card he had set last turn: Mystical Space Typhoon!

"I'll destroy the card on your far right."

Oh no, my Barrel Behind the Door is gone! Oh well, my combo isn't useless, but it's still weakened. At least Lava Golem will take away 1000 of his Life Points at the beginning of his turn.

"Darn. OK, I'll switch my Dragon to defense and my turn is up."

Norman looked at the card he drew, scratched out 6000 and wrote 4500 (thanks to Solar Flare Dragon and Lava Golem), then set his new card face-down in the Spell/Trap Zone. "I'll summon another Kinetic Soldier (1550 / 2000) in attack mode. Now, I'll switch Lava Golem to attack and attack your Dragon with it."

"Nice try, but my face-down Ring of Destruction will stop it before that happens."

He scowled at his mistake. "I need to remember those trap cards before I attack. OK, your turn." He scratched out 4500 and wrote 1300, as I scratched out 8000 and wrote 4800.

I drew. Molten Destruction.

"I'll destroy your Ocean card by playing Molten Destruction."

As he placed his Legendary Ocean in the Graveyard, he commented, "You do realize that every monster is a Water-type thanks to my DNA Transplant, right?"

I shook my head. "No, but I won't need to remember anymore because I'll reveal my face-down Mystical Space Typhoon and destroy it."

He shrugged as he put that in the Graveyard, too.

"Now, I'll summon another Solar Flare Dragon (2000 / 600) in attack mode, and switch my first Dragon to attack as well. You know about their Direct Damage ability, but they have a second effect: if there's another Pyro-type monster on the field, you can't attack them. And now my Dragons have 2000 ATK points each, so I'll have one of them attack your Kinetic Soldier."

Norman smiled broadly. "Jake, do you know what I do for a living?"

The sudden change of subject startled me. "Huh? Um, well, no."

"I'm a biologist. To be exact, I deal with cells and DNA. Do you know what DNA is?"

What this had to do with our duel was beyond me. "Well, doesn't it make up your cells or something?"

"DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is what makes up who you are. It dictates your eye color, you height, your gender"¦and, some say, your capabilities and your attitude. In essence, it dictates what type of person you are."

That was all well and good, but"¦ "Um, what does this have to do with anything?"

"Through my occupation, I have learned how to relocate and manipulate DNA. Which is exactly what I built my deck around: DNA manipulation. Confused? My face-down card will clear things up nicely. Reveal DNA Surgery!"

DNA Surgery? That's such an iffy card. Why would anyone build a deck around it?

"I choose to change the types of all monsters on the field to Warrior. And, now that you've attacked and my DNA Surgery is in play, Kinetic Soldier's unique effect can activate. You know what it does?"

"Sure, its ATK and DEF increase by 2000, but only when it battles with a"¦Warrior-type"¦monster," I trailed off as the realization hit me.

Norman, noticing my realization, smiled. "Understand my strategy, Jake? Now, let's see, I believe some Life Points need to be removed from your account. 1350, to be exact, and your Solar Flare Dragon is destroyed."

Shoot!. I have nothing in my deck that's powerful enough to beat that thing! I need to destroy it outright.

I scratched out 4800 and wrote 3450, a bit shaken up.

"Uh, OK. Um, there's nothing else I can do, so I'll end my turn"¦and the Solar Flare Dragon you didn't destroy will take away 500 of your Life Points."

"Correct. I assume that it is my turn then?"

olor=#000000]I sighed. "Yes."[/color]

He scratched out 1300 and wrote 800, then drew a card. "Ah, this will help me. I summon Cure Mermaid (1500 / 800) in attack mode. Now, my Kinetic Soldier will do away with your Dragon and a nice helping of your Life Points; 1350, I believe. Then, Cure Mermaid will attack you directly for 1500, leaving you with 600 Life Points! Unless something very unusual happens, your next turn will be your last."

My hand trembled as I drew my next card.

Back