YGO Articles & Guides

Tokens have been around forever now. Scapegoat, Ojama Trio and Stray Lambs being the most commonly played token effects. But in all the years that tokens have seen play, there is rampant misinformation of what exactly tokens are and what they are capable of doing. I’ve always had a small fascination with Token Monsters and their usability, and I wish to clear up any confusion players may have about such “imaginary” monsters. As always, it is my hope you’ll find this useful. I’ve included a summary for easy reference and remembrance. The Basics I think a part of the problem with people’s misconception of what Token Monsters are, stems from the most common use of the word “token” in our generation. Video Game Tokens. For most people...
Understanding Fusion Summons – Cyber Dragon, Dark Paladin, The Hex-Sealed Fusions and More Fusions have seen a lot more play in the months preceding this article, and all over the web I see question after question regarding the Special Summoning condition of the most popular Fusion Monsters. What I’m going to attempt to do with this article is break down the confusion over what a Fusion Summon actually is and why certain effects that Special Summon a Fusion Monster either work or don’t work or just work differently. My hopes are to simplify this process for you, so that all you’ll need to do when Special Summoning a Fusion Monster is too look at the relevant text. This article is written so anyone, a veteran or a newbie, can...
Who needs a Side-Deck? Andrew Mueller URjustSOL It’s not often that I get the question “What is a Side-Deck?” anymore. Most players in the tournament scene understand what a side-deck is. Unfortunately, many duelists either haven’t properly prepared their Side Deck or they’re not properly utilizing it. In this article I’m going to tell you what a Side Deck is, how to use it and what you should put into it. What is a Side Deck? Here’s the official language from the Upper Deck Yu-Gi-Oh! booklet (or website) concerning the Side-Deck: - In addition to your dueling Deck, you can also have 15 additional cards in a separate pile known as the Side Deck. The Side Deck allows you to modify your Deck to better suit your strategy during...
Here's the April 2006 Forbidden list. Colour coded to help you keep track of changes and to make it mnemonic. Reduced to a single Page to save the trees, (or recycling costs). PDF format
1. What is a Staple? A Staple is a card that everyone uses, or that fits in *almost* every deck. There are tons of near staples, as well as staples. Near-staples are like staples, but fit into even less deck archetypes. 2. What qualifies a card to be a staple? A card becomes a "staple" if it can be shown to provide effective and productive advantage to a deck, regardless of deck type. Now, for the one true staple: 1) Pot of Greed - hand advantage wins games, pure and simple. If you really need my to say more as to why Pot of Greed should be in every deck (exception to HotU/Exodia decks), you should be slapped, a 2-1 trade nowadays is fantastic. Now, to the other "staples" that don't compare to Pot of Greed: 2) Graceful Charity -...
For all you video gamers out there :D DISCLAIMER Empyre Group, Inc. is not responsible for any loss of game data or status due to any of these passcodes being incorrect. Use at your own risk. Incorrect passcodes should be reported in the Database Error Reports forum. This thread will remain locked to allow us to reorganize it as needed without having to delete user posts. Anyone wanting to 'borrow' this list and use it as their own need only refer back to us with the simple tag line of "Data provided by Netrepâ„¢ http://www.netrep.net", although we would prefer you investigate using the Netrepâ„¢ API instead of manually copying this data. See http://www.netrep.net/api.htm for details. Last Updated: March 15, 2006
I do this from time to time to help me clean out my vast collection, and I figured I'd share. This is a list of every card in the TCG (that appears in RONINâ„¢) that is unique. Obviously most of the newer sets appear here verbatim, but it's the older sets where a list like this can come in handy. If this helps you out in some way, great. If not, it's just a really long and meaningless list of card names. TCG CARDS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN REPRINTED YET CMC-EN001 Abyss Soldier CMC-EN002 Inferno Hammer CMC-EN003 Teva CRV-EN001 Cycroid CRV-EN002 Soitsu CRV-EN003 Mad Lobster CRV-EN004 Jerry Beans Man CRV-EN006 Patroid CRV-EN007 Gyroid CRV-EN008 Steamroid CRV-EN009 Drillroid CRV-EN010 UFOroid CRV-EN011 Jetroid CRV-EN015 Cyber Dragon...
The Quandry... Ever wonder why in the world you can use Cannon Soldier for its own effect? Ever get burned by your opponent who uses a Winged Minion while Skill Drain is on the field to push their Slate Warrior over your Cyber Dragon? Why the heck does Spirit Reaper STILL live when its flipped face down by Book of Moon?! All of these answers can be answered, and more importantly, taken advantage of, by understanding the nuances that go into activating, resolving, and the location of a card effects in the game of Yu-Gi-Oh. Back to the basics... When you first start getting into the fundamentals of the game, you learn that monsters with effects only work while they are face up on the field. Jinzo holds no sway over the field...
Unveiling- The Dark Scorpions In all of my dueling years, I have never seen a deck based on the infamous Dark Scorpion Burglars. They are arguably the most synergistic group of monsters in the YuGiOh world. They are all Warrior type monsters, meaning they benefit from all the advantages Warriors get, like Marauding Captain, The Warrior Returning Alive and Reinforcement of the Army. They all have exceptionally low ATK and DEF values, and they all have some sort of disruption effect that activates whenever they do Battle Damage to your opponent. Let's take a look at the individual cards that make this magnificent set of monsters, spells and traps. The Boss Don Zaloog Lv4 ATK: 1400 DEF: 1500 Dark/Warrior/Effect When this card...
Chemistry 101 - Mineral Rock Segments By FallenAngel The Earth, younger than the universe, but older than the stars, the soil we step on and the rocks we shamelessly bypass. In the older days of Yu-Gi-Oh; when kids where stuffing three Blue Eyes White Dragons in there decks along with three Dark Magicians, rock monsters were no ware to be found. It was only until the release of the video game Duelist of the Roses and Stairway to the Destined Duel, when The Magnet Warriors and Valkyrion showed up, that rocks were remotely glanced at. Gamma, Beta, and Alpha the Magnet Warriors, three brothers separated are quite useless one might say; but together they form a creature of mass potential. Valkyrion the Magna Warrior is much like our...
It's no secret. Maintaining hand and field advantage are great ways to be successful. But an area that is often overlooked is the Graveyard. By being aware of what is in your, and your opponent's, Graveyard, you can better your chances of victory. And I'm not just talking about knowing what monsters you have and are able to bring back with Premature Burial and Call of the Haunted. Nor am I just talking about having the correct amount of cards to remove for Chaos Sorcerer, Dark Necrofear, and the like. We all know the importance of knowing the Graveyard for those situations. But instead of having to check the Graveyard every turn, if you are aware of what is going to the Graveyard, you can avoid giving away your strategy with Special...
Water, if deprived of it long enough, one will die. Sitting in Chemistry class, we took two simple elements, hydrogen and oxygen, and combined them to make one of the most important and abundant compounds in the world, water. In the release of Elemental Energy, strategic duelists from all around bypassed the monsters from hell, and the protectors of the world, just to go to the scientific equations of Yu-Gi-Oh! H2O is the molecular formula for water, or Hydrogen Oxide; Now in Yu-Gi-Oh! Terms that equals out to the following: 2 Hydrogeddon + 1 Oxygeddon = Water Dragon Lets start with Hydrogen. Hydrogeddon is probably the best thing to happen to Dinosaurs since Invasion of Chaos. But alone Hydrogeddon won’t work, this Dinosaur is...
Hello fellow CoGgers. This promises to be the first of many articles I will be writing for the site. I hope you enjoy. Feel free to comment; I'd love to hear your thougths. With the October 1, 2005 ban list, we lost two of the most essential discarding cards, in the form of Sinister Serpent's ban and Night Assailant's limit to one. Because of this, cards that require a discard to activate lost a lot of popularity as well. However, these cards should not be so hastily overlooked. They have some potentially game-breaking effects and can be quite devastating. Let's take a look at some. Back to Square One It limits you to selecting a monster, but forcing your opponent into drawing the same card twice is quite a drawback to him/her...
Good vs. Evil part 1 "“ Angels & Airwaves Staggering and weary, a warrior from the land of Zera, prayed for help from the heavens, to save him from death so he may server the gods once again. Hearing this pleads The Agent of Judgment "“ Saturn came to this Warrior of Zera, saying "I will grant your wish lost warrior, but you must do something for us." "Anything" the warrior replied. "A dark being named the Terrorking Archfiend, he is the new general in the land of Pandemonium. I will transform you, and you will become the protector of our sanctuary. You will then lead our army and take down this new evil!" responded Saturn. Accepting the offer the Agent of Judgment "“ Saturn called up the power of the Sanctuary and transformed the...
"Left Wing VS. Right Wing" (Duelist Ascention: Article #2) -Brian Sloan In the game of Yu-Gi-Oh!, there are several types of players that can be categorized, much like politicians. In the olden days of the metagame, such play styles were either non-existent or went unnoticed by players of most calibers. The game has since evolved, and with it, the players have as well. Have you ever thought back to when everyone and their grandma was using cards like Raigeki, Harpie's Feather Duster, Imperial Order, etc.? Ever miss them? You probably don't. The old Traditional Format meta was so stale and boring. With nearly every single player using a carbon-copy of the latest tournament winner's deck, it was much too hard to truly enjoy the game...
Underrated Tech Alright, it's been quite a while since I've done a Netrepâ„¢ Article, and even though I'm more widely known as a moderator, i'm also an article writer. Today, I'm going to discuss some underrated tech cards. Alright, let's get started, shall we? First off, let's go with Masked Sorcerer. This bad boy is a 4-star 900/1400, but whenever he deals damage, you draw a card, so 1 attack will net you +1 card advantage. Granted, you may need to pump his stats with some other card to inflict damage, but it's well worth it, as that still nets a +1 for you, since you use up the stat pump to kill their monster, and STILL draw a card. Masked Sorcerer is Sangan-able, which adds to his playability. His Spellcaster status also allows...
While technically a Normal Trap Card, Last Turn is anything but a "normal" Trap Card. With some of the most confounding rulings in Yu-Gi-Oh it stands alone in the way it resolves and in the way it affects the game state. No other card can boast such a long winded set of rulings. To date, Last Turn has 41 individual paragraphs explaining its function and 12 references to it in other card rulings. What we're going to do here is breakdown each one and simplify it to where even a newbie (a new player) could understand this complex card. You may see me skip over some portions of each ruling. Rest assured that I will attempt to cover each of these details as we go along. What we want to do here is cover each ruling in its simplicity...
Duelist on the Street Article #3 The Game within the Game Hello to another article from me i am cao pi. This time I'm gonna tell you about "the game within the game": trading. Trading can be a pretty tough even for an expert. Now, for my 3rd article, I'm throwing another topic at you. How to store and protect your cards. Alright, first of is trading. You should go by these basics and remember: When in trouble, refer to the basics. 1. If you need it, get it. 2. [Unless your trying to get the complete set] If you don't need it, trade it for something you do need. 3. [If you are going for the set] Only trade a card if you have a copy of the card. 4. If you're not sure of a trade, either ask a person [one that doesn't have stake...
"Necessity per Personality" Duelist Ascention (Article 1) Can you remember the last time you were thinking of the next deck you were going to build, or when you were looking at one of your buddy's decks only to find yourself wondering, "What does this thing really need?" For most players, especially myself, this is always the first and last step of deckbuilding. But, where do you draw the line? When do you decide that you have enough or you need more before actually testing the deck? The answer, for me, is simply my personality. Now before I try to dive in to some psychologically-based discussion, let's face facts. Let's say you've made a deck. You like it. It's powerful, rarely shows any signs of weakness, and you always seem to...
Priority v. 1.1 By Michael Palmer It's come to my attention that many of the questions being asked on our forums here at netrep.net have been the same questions regarding priority and specific monsters and how they interact. First, I'll say the golden rule that no one seems to understand as of right now. A monster does not have priority! YOU THE PLAYER HAVE PRIORITY!!! Some people just don't understand that so the first thing we always say while answering questions is "This monster doesn't have priority, no monster has priority. The player has the priority." So make sure you rephrase your questions before posting them if you ever ask about a monster's priority. With that pushed aside, I thought up a few situations with certain...
Back