Battle Phase

The Battle Phase is the most complex of all Yu-Gi-Oh! phases. This is the phase where the Game Mechanics can be very confusing to a beginner. This article will help readers understand the Game Mechanics of the entire Battle Phase. Examples of cards that activate in each step will be included.

This article will be beneficial to game developers and Yu-Gi-Oh! players. Game developers will understand the control flow of the Game Mechanics, while players can use each step to their advantage. For example, activating “Call of the Haunted” during Battle Phase can give it some protection by “Trap Jammer”. Another example is if you are about to battle a set “Man Eater Bug” or “Penguin Soldier”, attack the set monster with one of your monsters, then, after the Set monster is destroyed, activate “Call of the Haunted” and attack with the new monster. Using this tactic will help you avoid the nasty effect of Flip Effect Monsters from affecting the monster you’re going to Special Summon by “Call of the Haunted”.

Battle Phase Game Mechanic

Blue colored words are official words from Yu-Gi-Oh! terminology. Green colored words are automatic event that does not require player actions. Red colored words are sub-steps.

Battle Phase: You may not enter this phase if you are the starting player. If you do not to enter Battle Phase, you proceed to End Phase. You may enter this phase even if you don't have any monster in your field.
  1. Start Step:
    • Turn player declares that he/she is entering the Battle Phase.
    • Turn player has the priority to activate Spell Speed 2 here.
  2. Battle Step:
    1. Sub-step 1: Turn player has the priority to activate Spell Speed 2 here. (Example: Turn player can activate Call of the Haunted here).
    2. Sub-step 2: Decide if conducting battle. If you are NOT conducting battle, got to End Step immediately.
    3. Sub-step 3: Select and announce 1 monster to attack with, and declare 1 of your opponent's monsters your target (the monster you wish to attack).
      • Attack Response Chain. Turn player has the priority to respond with any appropriate Spell Speed 2 or 3 effect here. (This is the only chain in which cards like Mirror Force, Sakuretsu Armor, Magician's Circle, and Magic Cylinder can be activated.)
      • After the chain is completed, the Turn Player has Priority to activate any appropriate Spell Speed 2 effect or suggest a move to the Damage Step. The opponent can also activate appropriate Spell Speed 2 effects or agree to proceed to the Damage Step. (Example cards are: Book of Moon, Enemy Controller, Waboku, etc...Cards that do not have any specific activation timing.) This part can be repeated multiple times before moving into the Damage Step, but only if a player can activate appropriate cards or effects.
      • The Battle Step does not end until both players agree to move into the Damage Step.
  3. Damage Step:**1
    1. Sub-step 1: Some Trigger-Effect will activate and resolve now.
    2. Sub-step 2: Flip target card face-up if face down.
      • Continuous Effect monster that was flipped are now Active (Examples are "Jinzo", "Goblin King", "The Agent of Force - Mars"). However, Continuous Effect that involves destroying monster(s) will not resolve until Sub-step 5.
      • Trigger Effect that activates during Damage Step activates and resolves now. (Examples are "Reflect Bounder", if attacked while in Attack Position, inflicts damage to the opponent now).
      • "Cross Counter" can be activated here.
    3. Sub-step 3: Damage Calculation part 1: Calculate damage.
      • Turn player has the priority to respond with Spell Speed 2 here.
      • The following effects can be activated, form a chain, and
        resolve now:
    4. Sub-step 4: Damage Calculation part 2: Apply damage.
      • Inflict damage to players' Life Points.
      • Card effects that activate when a monster inflicts Battle
        Damage to a player's Life Points activate, form a chain, and resolve now. (Examples are "Don Zaloog", "Airknight Parshath", and "Robbin' Goblin").
      • "Nutrient Z" cab be activated.
    5. Sub-step 5: Resolve effects.
      • From this point forward, monsters are considered "destroyed". So monsters destroyed by "Dark Ruler Ha Des" cannot activate their effects, destroyed monsters are not eligible for selection by card effects such as "Hane Hane", etc.
      • Resolve Continuous Effect that involves destroying monster(s).
      • Activate card effects that do not activate when a monster is sent to the Graveyard and resolve them now. (Examples are all Flip Effects, "Reflect Bounder", if attacked while in Attack Position, destroys itself now, "D. D. Warrior Lady", "Wall of Illusion", and the effects of "Slate Warrior" and "Royal Keeper" that increase their ATK and DEF. These effects form a chain and then resolve).
    6. Sub-step 6: Send to the Graveyard.
  4. Go back to Battle Step.
  5. End Step:
    • Turn player declares the end of his/her Battle Phase.
    • Activate effects that activate "at the end of the Battle Phase". (Examples are "Goblin Attack Force" and "Giant Orc").
    • Turn player has the priority to activate Spell Speed 2 here.
Analysis

Most of the steps in the Battle Phase are automatic and second nature to advance duelist. But for beginners, it's new, complex, and hard to understand. For example, not many duelist are aware of Battle Step Sub-step 1. If the turn player has a Set "Trap Jammer" for more than 1 turn, then they can use this sub-step to activate continuous Trap cards and don't have to worry about "Dust Tornado". Another example is pretend that the Turn Player has 2 Set "Zero Gravity", "Magical Scientist" in face-up DEF mode, and "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" in ATK mode. The Opponent has a "Labyrinth Wall" in face-up DEF mode. The Turn Player can activate "Zero Gravity" in Battle Step Sub-step 1, attack LW with MS to destroy LW, then activate the second "Zero Gravity" in the second pass on Battle Step Sub-step 1, Then attack directly with BEWD.

It is also a misconception that when a player attacks "Slate Warrior" or "Royal Keeper", these monsters will benefit from their effect. This is incorrect. The effect of these monsters happen AFTER Damage Calculation, during Battle Step Sub-step 5.

In addition, players can enter Battle phase even if they don't have monsters on the field, or if they are not planning to attack. This is usually done when you want to summon "Berserk Gorilla" on this turn and you don't want him to attack. To accomplish this, you enter and leave your Battle Phase to proceed to Main Phase 2. Then you summon "Berserk Gorilla" in Main Phase 2.

Study and learn the Game Mechanic to improve your dueling skills. Surprise and intimidate your opponent on your knowledge of the game. Remember, knowledge is power.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
  1. **1 Damage Step is from Mr. Kevin Tewart's Post: http://lists.upperdeck.com/read/messages?id=1757 in the UDE's Judge's List. Mr. Kevin Tewart is the Game Developer from UDE Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG R&D Lead, Upper Deck Entertainment (26 Oct 2004).
  2. UDE: www.yugioh-card.com
  3. Netrep™ Thread: Monster Destroyed in Damage Step other than Battle
  4. Netrep™ Thread: Berserk Gorilla Vs. Final Attack Order
  5. Netrep™ Thread: Set Berserk Gorilla Vs. Final Attack Order Vs. Airknight
Special thanks to the following Netrep™ member:
novastar for some ruling enlightenment about Continuous Effect and terminology.

j/y

Last edited by a moderator:
Note:

Please feel free to proofread, check, and comment on this article. Any input will be appreciated. In addition, please rate this thread for me. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revision 23 Feb 2005 3:45 pm

This article was modified on 23 Feb 2005 3:45 pm to clarify Continuous Effect's resolution during Damage Step.

New Information:
  • Continuous Effects, except that involves destroying monster(s), resolves BEFORE Damage Calculation.
  • Flip Effects and most Trigger Effects activates and resolves AFTER Damage Calculation.
  • Continuous Effects that involves destroying monster(s) resolves AFTER Damage Calculation.

Battle Steps

Thanks Raigekick,

Your article was very thorough and helped to clarify some issues. Good work, it helped me understand some questions i was having in regards to which cards could be chained in damage step.

Sarothias

Good article, but I have to mention that Kevin posted in BIG print that noone was to copy or use his article since it was just an "advance screening" to whenever he does get around to finishing it. All other Damage Step listings I see had 4 steps while his had 6. That's the only reason why I'm mentioning it so noone gets into trouble.

densetsu_x said:
Good article, but I have to mention that Kevin posted in BIG print that noone was to copy or use his article since it was just an "advance screening" to whenever he does get around to finishing it. All other Damage Step listings I see had 4 steps while his had 6. That's the only reason why I'm mentioning it so noone gets into trouble.
I did not know that. I did not see that disclaimer. However, I did site his post on the Judge's List as a source for the Damage Step portion . Now, I do not know the legalities for this. Do I have to request a permision from him to use his post?

Anything that comes from a single source just be given a reference to in a proper works cited list. (bibliography) Its a litt more complicated than just giving a link, web sites change.

Usually things that come from 2 separate and unique sources are also given a reference.

3 or more is when you get into the realm of Public Knowledge, but remember if the other sources site the first, than the first needs to be referenced.

Anything that is posted on the Internet by the author is free to use, with proper citation.

Oh get over it... i mean this is Kevin we are talking about...

This is far more detailed than Kevin's list anyway...

Personally i say ...copy away and forget about him...

This is what he has posted at the start of the article:

"By the way, anyone seeing this does NOT have permission to put this on
another web page. Anyone seeing this does NOT have permission to copy it,
email it, or print it out. If you want to send a link to where others can
see it, that's fine."

Granted you're not copying it, just referencing it as part of your article and giving the link for it. But, if they want to push the issue, they could.

Issues of plaugurism aside, this is exactly what I've been looking for for ages when it comes to understanding the oh so detailed concept of the damage step, regarding what chains to what, etc etc..

All in all, a wonderfully detailled article.

novastar said:
Oh get over it... i mean this is Kevin we are talking about...

This is far more detailed than Kevin's list anyway...

Personally i say ...copy away and forget about him...

I have to go on record as saying I don't agree with this type of attitude. Granted, we need this type of detailed information available in order for us to all be able to understand and play as it is intended, however, we must also respect those wishes of the writer / publisher.

What I write and post here I have no trouble with people using in any way they see fit so long as it's quoted correctly....but that's my choice and that's the whole point, I've made that choice, it's my material and I not only HOPE but expect people to quote me correctly when they use something I've written. If a writer wishes their material to be for a select group they should have that right respected.

As much as some people may be frustrated with certain practices or lack of them by any paticular group their frustration doesn't cancel the right of others. Please don't fall into the habit of justifying poor practice.

We as members of this website often complain about others copying and posting things from here without proper credit. This site has policies that we expect to be adhered to and we get quite upset when they aren't. Let's lead the way by respecting other's wishes and policies as well.

Kevin's post was clearly used as reference and no where did Raigekick directly copy and paste the post into his article. Kevin said nothing about using his post as a reference. I would think the whole point of posting something on a web site for millions of humans across the planet to see was for the purpose of referencing. Otherwise, why post it?

Kevin specifically said "anyone seeing this does NOT have permission to put this on
another web page."
which no one did. "Anyone seeing this does NOT have permission to copy it," which no one did "email it, or print it out." again which no one did. "If you want to send a link to where others can see it, that's fine." Which is the only thing that was done. But why post something for all the world to see if no one is expected to discuss it? Wouldn't linking someone to it invite refrencing it?

I guess so, I just can't think of any examples of things that could be activated during the damage step that would qualify for MBaaS and be slow enough for MBaaS to negate.

-chaosruler

You should update it and put that in Damage step only Attack/ Defense modifiers and Counters can be activated.

also, Dark rulers vs. warrior lady remember that warrior lady is at the end of the damage step not while beign sent her effect activates.

dark rulers monsters effect negation thing happens when you officially look at attack vs. defense or attack and is considered the victor and other monster destroyed.

of course, this is what i was told by a few peeps here when i asked the question.

Back