Yu-Gi-Oh! Success: Luck, Money or Skill?

I suppose it's time to step onto dangerous ground (journalistically speaking) and cover a more controversial subject. Today I'm going to dive into one of the most heated and debated subjects in the history of Yu-Gi-Oh!. I think it's time to get to the bottom of an age-old battle: Are Yu-Gi-Oh! champions successful because of Luck, Money or Skill? I'll cover all the angles, I’ll look at all the options, and I'm going to guarantee up-front that you won't like the results.

From Merriam-Webster:

Luck

1 a : a force that brings good fortune or adversity b : the events or circumstances that operate for or against an individual

Anyone who wants to deny the presence of luck in a card game is nuts. However, just how big the role luck plays in the winning a large event like Regionals, Nationals or Worlds is another question entirely.

I don't want to get into combinatory mathematics, but in the interest of giving the reader a fair shake and at least a little usable information, I'm going to list a few ratios. Copies refer to the number of copies of a wanted card you have left in your deck. Size is the total number of cards left in the deck.

Code:
Size --- 45     40     35     30     25     20
Copies
1     2.22%    2.5%    2.86% 3.33%     4%     5%
2     4.44%     5%    5.71%    6.66%     8%     10%
3     6.66%    7.5%    8.57% 9.99%    12%     15%

So, assuming you're down to 20 cards in your deck, and you NEED a DDWL, and have 3 left. You'll only draw one 15 times out of 100. To me, that doesn’t seem like winning odds. I wouldn’t bet money on that draw.

So how can luck be such a factor? Here’s one possible answer: there are multiple cards in your deck that can produce a favorable outcome for any particular situation. Suppose you’re staring down a Black Luster Soldier. You might have the following cards left in your deck: Change of Heart, Snatch Steal, 2x DD Warrior Lady, 2x Enemy Controller, 2x Smashing Ground, Creature Swap and your own Black Luster Soldier. That’s 10 cards out of the remaining 20 or a 50% chance of drawing a useful card. Those are MUCH better odds, ones that I’d be more inclined to bet on. If one of the remaining cards is Pot of Greed and you draw it, then you get an additional 2 cards which will increase your chances even more.

So how important is luck? It’s not as important as many people think. As we’ve seen above, you can maximize your “lucky top decks” by putting more multi-purpose cards in your deck. But deck building is a factor under skill, not luck. I’m confident that luck only accounts for at most, 20% of success in Yu-Gi-Oh!. Believe me, that’s a generous percentage.

Money

Money *is* a factor in the game of Yu-Gi-Oh! Packs cost about $4 plus tax and you get 1 Rare card and 8 commons per pack. How do you accumulate a large card base? Is it true Royal Decree and Needle Worms sell on eBay for over $150 a piece? How can you assemble a championship deck on a limited budget?

In the old days, (LOB - PSV), there was not near the after-market availability of cards as there is now. If you wanted to get the powerful Ultra Rare cards like Mirror Force, Goblin Attack Force, Summoned Skull, etc. you needed to buy a lot of packs, or get some incredible rip-off trades or pay top dollar.

The number one complaint topics at one online Yu-Gi-Oh! board was “rich kids” who had their parents buy every super-powerful card. Who could beat them? Who could compete with that? Well, in truth, anyone with half a brain. Smart players beat good cards 66% of the time. Sure, they’ll overpower you 1 game out 3, but you should be able to win the match.

How do you accumulate a large card base? By making sure you squeeze every pennies worth of cards out of every dollar you spend. Look for sales. Often Upper Deck will print a “Second Edition” box that will include a bonus card. The beauty of these multi-pack boxes is that they usually cost less than if you bought the 3 or 5 packs separately.

Yes it is true, Royal Decree sells for $150++ on eBay, but how many Tournament winning decks run Royal Decree or Needle Worm? Not many. I’d guess maybe 1 out of 100. I had a friend buy a complete Deck Destruction deck on eBay for $350. A steal when you consider the cost of the 3 TP3 Needle Worms, the TP2 Morphing Jar, and all the other goodies in the deck. This was a very expensive deck! It didn’t win very much. I myself ran a Horus deck with a few Horus the Black Fame Dragon LV8 ($40 a piece), 3 Royal Decree’s ($150 a piece) and a bunch of other expensive cards. You’d think a deck worth over $600 would win every game. It didn’t. It was disassembled and the cards sold.

How do you assemble a championship deck on a budget? Players rejoice! We’ve had Starter Decks for a long time. But unfortunately they provided nothing more than a small starting point for players. Then the "˜evo’ Starter Decks were released. They brought only a few more good cards to everyone. Was that enough? No! We needed Dark Beginnings I. With DB1, many hard-to-get short print commons, Super Rare, Ultra Rare, Secret Rare and other out-of-print cards became easily available, most at lower rarities. Soon after DB1 was released the English market got another gift: 2 new Structure Decks called Dragon’s Roar and Zombie Madness. These Structure Decks are much more than Starter Decks. They are completely playable right out of the box with incredible cards like Vampire Lord, Heavy Storm, Premature Burial, Creature Swap, Call of the Haunted, Torrential Tribute and many more released as commons in these decks. Dragon’s Roar and Zombie Madness are easily the best pre-con decks ever released for the English game.

Everything I’m saying is based on the assumption that anyone getting into the game understands that they’ll have to shell out at least $20 to get started, $50 to be competitive. Honestly, buying one each of the new Structure Decks and one each of the Evo Starter Decks would give any new player enough cards, especially staples (must-have cards that every deck needs), to make top-8 at almost any Traditional or Advanced format tournament.

When someone tells me they couldn’t win a tournament because they couldn’t get (i.e. afford) the good cards they need to win, I have a hard time believing it. I’ll argue that money accounts for only 10% of Yu-Gi-Oh! success.

Skill

Perhaps the most intangible element I’m going to discuss today is Skill. Many different aspects of skill combine in Yu-Gi-Oh! There’s deck building, card manipulation, game-play instincts and rules knowledge. Some players have mastered all of these aspects. Some players have not mastered any.

Deck Building is the assembly of 40 (or more) cards designed to work together or separately towards a common goal. That goal could be Exodia, Beatdown, FINAL, lockdown or more than a dozen other deck specialties. Since we have over 1,000 cards available in the English game there are countless combinations possible. Not all deck types have the same level of support. For example, build a Warrior deck and match it up against your best Plant deck and watch the Plant deck lose almost every time. Proper deck building will reduce bad hands and poor top decks. A deck with the proper synergy will have the advantage over a random deck. (Un?) Fortunately with the abundance of Internet discussion boards, finding a winning deck list is easy and has perhaps minimized the need for excellent deck building skills.

Card Manipulation is also a skill. I’m not talking about cheating or stacking your deck. I’m talking about the way you shuffle. This includes your opponent’s cards as well as your own. How do you hold your hand? How do you draw your cards? An experienced card player will always manage their hand and deck in a defensive manner. I’ve seen players play Painful Choice, then set their hand face-up on the table while searching through their deck. How foolish! Don’t cry if your opponent opens the game with all 5 pieces of Exodia the Forbidden One. You have the opportunity to shuffle and cut their deck. Make the most of it.

Game-play instincts are also very important. Knowing when to set your DD Warrior Lady instead of playing her in ATK position depends on the situation, the opponent and your play style. Setting one monster, then setting 5 Spells/Traps is not a very smart move unless you’re sure you can protect them. Once a duelist at our store started the game by summoning Lord of D., then played Flute of Summoning Dragon to bring out two Blue Eyes White Dragons, then set his other 2 Spell/Traps only to get Heavy Stormed, Dark Holed and locked by Yata-Garasu. That’s just not smart play. You have to know what to play and what to hold. You also have to take a measure of your opponent. Bluffing is also a part of Yu-Gi-Oh!. I once held off an opponent for 3 turns by setting a Spell card called Metamorphosis, then smiling and saying how much I love Mirror Force.

Rules knowledge is another important skill item. A player’s first responsibility is to know the official rulings and errata for the cards in their own deck. Beyond that they need to know the game phases, spell speeds and basic game mechanics. This includes knowing that Torrential Tribute won’t stop Mobius the Frost Monarch’s effect and using Solemn Judgment against Vampire Lord ensures that it will be back during their next standby phase. Priority issues are usually debated, so are activation timing issues. Not to be snobbish or elitist, but if you don’t know why you can’t use Bottomless Trap Hole against a DD Warrior Lady Special Summoned to the field by a Shining Angel killed in battle then you need to read the Rule Booklet a few more times. Version 5 of the Rule Booklet (included in the Dragon’s Roar and Zombie Madness Structure Decks) has been updated and is quite good. I’ll have to tell you honestly that Skill accounts for 70% of Yu-Gi-Oh! success.

I know many people are not going to agree with the percentages I’ve assigned. I know this article would be controversial. That’s OK with me. The bottom line is that Skill and Skill alone is the overwhelming influence to being successful in the game of Yu-Gi-Oh! That won’t sit well with people who are always looking for an excuse to why they lose. Sure, there’s still game-winning top decks, uber-powerful cards and perfect hands pulled, but that can only account for a small percentage (20% tops) of wins or losses.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is a thinking person’s game. It’s not like euchre where we all play with the same cards and it depends mostly on the luck of the deal and what gets turned up as trump. As a Yu-Gi-Oh! duelist you’re in charge of your destiny. You have the power to create a masterpiece or a disaster. I firmly believe that hard study and smart play can lead ANY duelist to greater success.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent article!!

You got it right with skill being the biggest factor! Luck and money will only take you so far in this game. Anyone can get lucky at least once. That's just how the game plays out.

Money can get you every card in the game, but if you cant use the cards properly (where skill comes in), you're never going to understand "how" you won or how to win.

this article i would say, is a must read for all players, no matter what level they may be. ive been playing since the game started, and learned every card and ruling and rule, yet i learned a lot from this article. nice work, buddy! ^_^

awesome read. and u're points are well defined! *Puts Away Exodia Deck & Pulls Out Gearfiend Infinite Life/Burn Deck* Bwhahahaha

Great article. Those percentages sound just about right also. I was gonna disagree, saying that deck construction falls just as far under money as skill, but then I remembered that DB1 and the structure decks were released over the winter (during which time I usually am unable to attend tourneys, which caused me to forget about the new sets, even though I used them to to beef up my own deck in preparation for spring...:D), and made the game much less expensive. Superb job, once again!

And you thought this would be controversial....

PS: My excuse for why I lose isn't lack of skill or money. It's just that everyone in the store I play at knows my deck by now, and has side decked everything to beat it...
Now that the new structure decks are out, I am closer to being able to build a new deck, but I really do lack those 20% finances to make them a real competitor. Seriously, I haven't been able to afford any packs since after Labyrinth of Nightmare (Since it came out, I have bought maybe 6 packs total).
Of course, my deck still does decently well despite all that, so I am still not disagreeing with anything in your article.....

In conclusion to my pointless rambling: :p

hmm it is most defiantly skill that wins games in yugioh, my cousin plays with a $300+ deck and i beat him with a deck built from around $10 worth of commons and a few rares that aren't worth anything really. The smart players will win, the rich kids who have all the power cards and all that will lose to a player with skill and of course some experience. The decks I build always focus on something other than beatdown ie. a simple mill or a direct assault using overwhelming direct damage cards like Tremendous Fire or Inferno Fire Blast.(the card i just fell in love with lol)

That's a very good article. Skill and Luck come in importantly. Money only comes in if you have Skill, and Luck just randomly happens.

Awesome article, and it's true. I don't complain alot about not having enough money because:

1. It's not that important if you know how to use what you have.

2. It is a small factor.

I mean, I am broke, never get allowances in the last three years, but I can get a job soon, so I can earn my money and card. Money is only important if no one has the card you want. If there are, trade 'em, hunt 'em, whatever floats your boat, but I like hunting. Better to have things on the line, it makes me work harder.

Not to try to be super technical or nit picky, but, Yugioh uses the terms Money, Skill and Luck in different ways than most people use them.

Number 1 Factor: Money = Quality of Deck
No amount of skill will allow a player of superior skills and an inferior deck to overcome a player with inferior skills and a superior deck. If you want to be a superior player, you need a well built and competitive deck and that costs Money, not pennies, not thousands of dollars, but still hundreds of dollars. Just because someone spent a lot of money on a deck does not mean it is a quality deck. However, a quality deck costs more than a starter deck and a few booster packs. Although you cannot just spend money blindly and hope to win, neither can you toil secretly constructing your all common championship winning deck. Just look at the top 8 decks from any regionals and figure what they cost at the time. Not pennies, not thousands, but hundreds.

Number 2 Factor: Skill = Rulings Knowledge and Knowledge of the Intricacies of your own Deck
I think this is self explanatory.

Number 2 Factor: Luck
No, this is not a typo. Best 2 out of 3 is a very small number of duels on which to decide who is "better". Let's say two players are close to evenly matched, but one has an advantage of 60-40. How many duels do the two players have to play so the player with the 60% chance of winning any given duel has a good chance of actually winnning the best of series?
The number of duels is much higher than you think.
If they play best of 5, the better player expects to win 2-3-4. So, if they only win 2, they lose.
If they play best of 15, the better player expects to win 7-8-9-10-11. So, if they only win 7, they lose.
If they play best of 21, the better player expects to win 10-11-12-13-14, so, if they only win 10 they lose.
If they play best of 25, the better player expects to win 12/13-14-15-16-17/18. So, only at this point to they expect to win the best-of series.

I'm going to have to disagree that...

Number 1 Factor: Money = Quality of Deck

Now granted, at the top tier of competition one has to be willing to invest a reasonable amount of money, however, I've seen plenty of highly competitive store level tournaments won with decks that cost $100 or less to build.

This was a very well written article. I also would disagree about having to spend alot for a top 8 deck. This cost of a top 8 deck depends solely on the area or place you bought the cards or the luck you had pulling them from packs or trading for them. I guess I am lucky to have many stores close to me. I can go to any of these stores and buy a DD warrior Lady for $8, a BLS -beginning for $25, and an enemy controller for $15. Compare this to my brother in law, who does not have the same access to these stores(lives 4 hours from me). He has paid $15 for DD, $40 for BLS, and $20 for Enemy controller. Also a person can come across some good trades if he plays many nights a week at many different stores. If I wanted I could play in touraments 6 nights a week with no more than 45 to 60 minutes of travel. As the article said, SKILL is the most important.

i think it is money. All you need to do is buy every card and pay someone to make a deck and teach you how to play it.

RONINLORD said:
i think it is money. All you need to do is buy every card and pay someone to make a deck and teach you how to play it.
Then it all comes back to skill again. Once your taught how to do something, it takes the necessary skills to translate what you are taught into practical application.

Money, of course helps, but skill does all the work, mixed in with a little bit of luck.

This was a very well written article. Of course, that doesn't mean I agree with it. The main problem was that many of the arguements seemed to bounc back and forth between extremes: sometimes opposite ends of the scale, sometimes examples were so similar as to be indistinguishable. I will explain more as I come to specific instances.

A second problem is something I wish I had the answer to: how to catagorize the aspects of this game. "Money" is misleading. "Card Pool" or "Resources" would be a better term, as some people have resources because of "lucky" pulls, good bartering skills, or a lack of scruples. Being good at trading will unfortunately always affect the ability of someone in a "trading" card game. While it is important, it shouldn't be the deciding factor, and many of my friends are better at bartering for cards than I, and "share" this skill with others. They still benefit from this, but better I get a card for $10 than $15, even if my friend got it for only $5: odds are I wouldn't have found the deal, so it is indeed $5 less than I would have paid, not $5 more.

We should also assume that we are dealing with "realistic" circumstances. That is to say, no all normal Monster card decks (as in no effect Monsters, no spell monsters, and no Traps) against a world champion's deck, and in matches of skill, no rocks playing against champs either. We assume coherent deck guidelines, and players who are at least competent.

Deck Building is a seprate skill from one's card pool, and it does not trump it, unless the difference is relatively small. If the only difference is a few supporting cards that have reasonable substitutes available, the difference is usually neglible most games: Fissure as opposed to Smashing Ground. If you lack a "power" card (I dislike the term "staple", as it seems so hard to nail down), it still matters, but becomes a matter of luck.

Let us go through an example: in a match where player A has 4 1800 ATK beatsticks and has cleared player B's field as well as reducing Player B's LP to the point one more attack will finish Player B. Player B draws into his Raigeki, wipes out his opponent's field, summons a solid Monster and basically ends up seizing control of the game for the win. The difference in card pool basically is a matter of luck here: had that Raigeki come a turn later or earlier, the outcomes would have been different. Either Player A would have won decidely, or Player B still could have won but Raigeki would have been less important. The same could still easily be true if they had identical decks and one the same scenario occured. The assumption is that the only real difference between players A and B is that one has Raigeki and one doesn't. Here, card pool is overshadowed by luck of the draw, and thus with two more or less evenly matched player, a power card or more desirable option here or there won't be too huge a deal.

Let's go to the opposite extreme: take the hypothetical greatest player in the world, give him a deck made with the weakest cards you can and still have a coherent enough theme to warrant calling it a deck, against... the hypothetical next best player. That is right, we are comparing how a card pool affects play, not skill, so skill should be as close as we can be for each "thought experiment". The best player in the world may still win a few game, but that will honestly be a matter of luck, akin to someone trying to out run a car on foot: they can win if the car runs out of gas but the person does not.

Deck bulding does matter; I've seen some of the best players lose because they left out some card that covered an inherent deck weakness, and covered it well. Again, though, unless we make one player siginificantly stupid, it isn't a major concern.

OKay, so what about player skill, as in actually being good at dueling? A good level of skill depends upon a good level of game knowledge: think of all those "broken" combos that have been ruled not to work because a phrase or clause isn't quite right. Techincally that person had good deck building skill, but lousy knowledge (or just good skill but lousy knowledge in the case of you getting control of an opponent's card in a similar scenario). Skill is an advantage. However, it is at the mercy of what cards are in the deck, what cards are in the player's hands, what cards are in the opponent's deck and hands, the opponent's skill, relevant positioning of said cards, etc. etc. etc.

As you may be able to tell, I am running far to short on time. I only joined these forums to post on this topic, and I have gone on at length and done some heavy revising (cutting out examples, redoing examples, etc.). So I will get to my point:

Luck is the most important facotr because:

No matter how big or small, luck trumps them all.

An opponent getting a "perfect" hand, you getting a perfectly lousy one. When all other factors are even, luck naturally becomes the determining factor. No matter which other factor is dominant (within reasonable limits, as mentioned earlier), luck is the only thing that can ruin a surefire win.

Big Oldprankster said:
This was a very well written article. I also would disagree about having to spend alot for a top 8 deck. This cost of a top 8 deck depends solely on the area or place you bought the cards or the luck you had pulling them from packs or trading for them. I guess I am lucky to have many stores close to me. I can go to any of these stores and buy a DD warrior Lady for $8, a BLS -beginning for $25, and an enemy controller for $15. Compare this to my brother in law, who does not have the same access to these stores(lives 4 hours from me). He has paid $15 for DD, $40 for BLS, and $20 for Enemy controller. Also a person can come across some good trades if he plays many nights a week at many different stores. If I wanted I could play in touraments 6 nights a week with no more than 45 to 60 minutes of travel. As the article said, SKILL is the most important.

Skill, Cyber Dragons, and Monarchs. Come on, with those two types of staples, any deck can be tournament winning.

Back