Archfiend of Gilfer JMP-EN003

This is one of the "big" ones. Not only is he the newest Archfiend to hit Yu-Gi-Oh TCG, he is one of the most saught after cards in the game right now. At 2200/2500, the stats are decent for a 6 Star, though most people are not decking him for his stats. His effect, where after he is sent to the graveyard, he can come back to the field as an equip card and take 500 ATK of the monster he is equipped to.

Now, let me preface this by saying, HIS EFFECT IS OPTIONAL. Therefore, like "Peten the Dark Clown", "Archfiend of Gilfer" being sent to the graveyard must be the last thing to occur in order to activate his effect (the 2 cards have the same timing issues).

That said, play "Painful Choice", dump 3 in the graveyard... have all 3 come back on the same monster and then attack that monster... watch all 3 Archfiends hit the Graveyard... all activate and attach to the next... and work your way down the line.

Expect this card to fit in with Fiend and Archfiend decks. However, his recursiveness is even more annoying than "Dark Necrofear" so watch "Archfiend of Gilfer" fit in with most deck styles as well. This is one demon you don't want to cross.

Are you sure about that? The last thing that has to happen is that Gilfer must be sent to the graveyard. So if you use MST, you destroy Gilfer, it goes to the graveyard. Bam, his effect activate. The same thing I believe applies with Raigeki Break.

However, if you use Gilfer from your hand as an activation cost for Raigeki Break, then Gilfer will NOT activate since the last thing that happens is a card on the field is destroyed.

Dillie-O said:
Are you sure about that? The last thing that has to happen is that Gilfer must be sent to the graveyard. So if you use MST, you destroy Gilfer, it goes to the graveyard. Bam, his effect activate. The same thing I believe applies with Raigeki Break.

However, if you use Gilfer from your hand as an activation cost for Raigeki Break, then Gilfer will NOT activate since the last thing that happens is a card on the field is destroyed.

Unfortunately so. I wish the effect was mandatory but then it would make this card a bit too powerful. There would be few (if any) ways to get it off the field.

If it was mandatory it would make a OTK deck in a flash.
especially since the card that would have been used with it is a common.

so 3x of that plus 3x of this, all you need now is a way to rush your deck.

cheerfull coffin to dump the archfiend and boom, game over.

or better yet, painfull choice, and boom, game over.

I guess I still don't understand. If you use MST or Raigeki Break to destroy Gilfer, the last thing that is going to happen is Gilfer will be sent to the graveyard, which would then allow his optional effect to kick in. Am I missing something here?

Dillie-O said:
I guess I still don't understand. If you use MST or Raigeki Break to destroy Gilfer, the last thing that is going to happen is Gilfer will be sent to the graveyard, which would then allow his optional effect to kick in. Am I missing something here?

I don't 100% understand it myself, but i think what they meant is that;

1) Player A attaches Gilfer to BLS successfully
2) Player B uses dust tornado and destroys Gilfer.
3) Player A attempts to attach Gilfer to BLS again
4) Player B chains and MST's one of Player A's set M/T cards
5) Gilfer loses timing and does not attach to BLS

Am I close?

Card Description: Fiend/Effect: When this card is sent to the Graveyard, you can activate its effect. You can then equip it to a monster on the field, and this card will be treated as an Equip Spell Card that decreases the ATK of the equipped monster by 500 points.

1) Player A attaches Gilfer to BLS successfully
2) Player B uses dust tornado and destroys Gilfer.
3) Player A attempts to attach Gilfer to BLS again
4) Player B chains and MST's one of Player A's set M/T cards
5) Gilfer loses timing and does not attach to Jinzo.

Yup. That's a perfect example of Glifer missing his timing to attach itself again after being destroyed.

I don't think this is right. The way the example shows is activation of dust tornado(player B), player A no response, Gilfer destroyed(last fact). Gilfer's effect chainlink 1, player B MST's, resolve - MST destroys player A S/T cards, Gilfers effect.

Big Oldprankster said:
I don't think this is right. The way the example shows is activation of dust tornado(player B), player A no response, Gilfer destroyed(last fact). Gilfer's effect chainlink 1, player B MST's, resolve - MST destroys player A S/T cards, Gilfers effect.

I don't think chains apply in this case, because if they did Gilfer's effect would never be stopped.

Actually Big Oldprankster is right. If you let Dust Tornado resolve before activating Mystical Space Typhoon and you do not set a Spell or Trap Card with Dust Tornado's effect, Archfiend of Gilfer would still work (if you do set a Spell or Trap Card, that would be the last thing happening, and Archfiend of Gilfer's effect would not work). The way that chaining would stop Archfiend of Gilfer's effect would targetting a different card with Dust Tornado, then chaining Mystical Space Typhoon to Dust Tornado on Archfiend of Gilfer. In this case, the chain would resolve backward, and Mystical Space Typhoon would destroy Archfiend of Gilfer, then Dust Tornado would destroy the card it targetted. Because Dust Tornado destroying one Spell or Trap Card was the last thing that happened, Archfiend of Gilfer's effect would have missed its opportunity to activate.

NOTE: Missing the opportunity to activate only applies to optional effects. Please do not let this confuse you. Effects like Witch of the Black Forest would still work, even if its destruction wasn't the last thing to happen (and yes, I know Witch of the Black Forest is banned in Advanced Format. That was just an example.).

So confusing!!

Stop making optional effects UDE, you're creating unnecessary confusion and stress for people like me.

And this is why we need a ruliings discussion forum...

UDE doesn't decide which cards to make, first of all.

Second, it's all because of that dang Woodland Sprite.

Man its all so confusing. I wish his effect wasn't optional like flint, then we wouldn't have to stresses ourselves out on when his effects does and doesn't kick in.

I loved Gilfer when I got hold of one, I paid huge shipping fees to get him imported, now I'm not sure I even want to use him because I can't even understand when I do or don't get his effect and therefore can't plan any strategies.

Rule of thumb: As long as Leaf Fairy exists, Gilfer Demon is unusable practically. Burn every one you find...

And we need that "evil" emoticon.

I don't agree. He can be really annoying. The only normally played monsters that can kill him in defense mode are BLS and Dark Magician of Chaos. Anything else will just get a major ATK reduction, which is always helpful...especially if it's re-usable.

If Gilfer's effect wasn't optional, there would be some heavy abuse going on. Sac Gilfer from the hand as an activation cost, get his effect. Tribute Gilfer from the field for a summons, get his effect. Antother Butterfly Dagger/Gearfried scenario could emerge if your opponent had Gearfried out. I was with some fiendish cronies that were looking at all the abuses for this, if his effect would have been mandatory. 8^D

I still think Gilfer is playable, especially when you get into a good pattern of beating your opponents monsters down. Take one down that has Gilfer, bring back Gilfer and attack the next one. And if you want to have a lot of fun, use Gilfer in conjunction with Diffusion Wave-Motion or something. Once I get my Archfiend deck going (with Mazera, I'm looking to pull this combo off with DNA surgery 8^D)

Yes, its the possible abuse that reminds me why it SHOULDN'T be optional. I like this card and the last thing I would want for it, is to be forbidden or broken.

Dillie-O said:
If Gilfer's effect wasn't optional, there would be some heavy abuse going on. Sac Gilfer from the hand as an activation cost, get his effect. Tribute Gilfer from the field for a summons, get his effect. Antother Butterfly Dagger/Gearfried scenario could emerge if your opponent had Gearfried out. I was with some fiendish cronies that were looking at all the abuses for this, if his effect would have been mandatory. 8^D

I still think Gilfer is playable, especially when you get into a good pattern of beating your opponents monsters down. Take one down that has Gilfer, bring back Gilfer and attack the next one. And if you want to have a lot of fun, use Gilfer in conjunction with Diffusion Wave-Motion or something. Once I get my Archfiend deck going (with Mazera, I'm looking to pull this combo off with DNA surgery 8^D)
Gilfer is a 6-star monster so you wont be able to use diffusion wave motion on him.

The way I break it down to explain is as follows. Since the card says "you can" this effect happens if you want it to. You look at the timing you want it to happen. If you are resolving another effect, oh well I can't use it because you can not activate an effect in the middle of another effect resolving. If other effects are finished, here we go with the injection of atk poison. I use this explanation for the younger kids at the shop I judge at. But it also seems easier for us old, hard headed, think we know it all, wiser than wise, able to leap...(sorry wrong game) to understand.

Back