Archfiend of Gilfer JMP-EN003

This is one of the "big" ones. Not only is he the newest Archfiend to hit Yu-Gi-Oh TCG, he is one of the most saught after cards in the game right now. At 2200/2500, the stats are decent for a 6 Star, though most people are not decking him for his stats. His effect, where after he is sent to the graveyard, he can come back to the field as an equip card and take 500 ATK of the monster he is equipped to.

Now, let me preface this by saying, HIS EFFECT IS OPTIONAL. Therefore, like "Peten the Dark Clown", "Archfiend of Gilfer" being sent to the graveyard must be the last thing to occur in order to activate his effect (the 2 cards have the same timing issues).

That said, play "Painful Choice", dump 3 in the graveyard... have all 3 come back on the same monster and then attack that monster... watch all 3 Archfiends hit the Graveyard... all activate and attach to the next... and work your way down the line.

Expect this card to fit in with Fiend and Archfiend decks. However, his recursiveness is even more annoying than "Dark Necrofear" so watch "Archfiend of Gilfer" fit in with most deck styles as well. This is one demon you don't want to cross.

Sorry, my Gilfer combo mentioned was converting Mazera (since I'm a fiend fan, put put in Dark Magician for easier understanding) after Gilfer has been equipped to a monster. Activate Diffusion Wave Motion and then just walk down all the monsters, picking off the one with Gilfer first. Since DWM creates a "state" that allows the monster to go down the line. After each monster is destroyed, Gilfer will get its revival and equip to the next monster.

Unfortunately you are not able to activate and effect during the middle of resolution. Such is the case with Cyber Jar destroying a Mystic Tomato. You wait until Cyber has finished doing its draw and then special summon the 1500 or less attacker from your deck to the field.

The way this applies to Gilfer is exemplified in the WoodSprite + Gilfer combo, which is illegal. When you send a monster equipped to WoodSprite to do damage, it is broken up into two actions: the tribute and then the damage dealt. Since Gilfer's effect is optional, the last thing that has to occur is Gilfer being sent to the graveyard. Since the last thing to happen in the resolution was 500 LP damage inflicted, Gilfer's time has passed. This was brought to light more prominently when Peten the Dark Clown was
released.

Hopefully this clarifies a few things for ya.

Xeno said:
Quote:Originally Posted by Big Oldprankster
you can not activate an effect in the middle of another effect resolving.

I think you can actually.

Yes you can. I'm not sure about other cards but I know that chess archfiends are one of the few monsters whose roll target-negating effect activiates when another effect is resolving. Obviously it has to target them for their effect to activiate.

Dillie-O said:
The way this applies to Gilfer is exemplified in the WoodSprite + Gilfer combo, which is illegal. When you send a monster equipped to WoodSprite to do damage, it is broken up into two actions: the tribute and then the damage dealt. Since Gilfer's effect is optional, the last thing that has to occur is Gilfer being sent to the graveyard. Since the last thing to happen in the resolution was 500 LP damage inflicted, Gilfer's time has passed. This was brought to light more prominently when Peten the Dark Clown was
released.

Hopefully this clarifies a few things for ya.

I know all that, we've been talking about it for 4 pages, I was talking about the fact that certain card effects CAN be activated during the resolution of another card.

I posted a question on the judge list about the activation of an effect during the resolution of another effect. If it goes through it should be on the judge list.

For archfiends its in the text.

"When this card is specifically designated as a target of the effect of a card controlled by your opponent, when resolving the effect, roll a six-sided die."

Its for this very reason you can't chain to an archfiend's die rolling effect. It happens right when the other effect targeting them is resolving

Archfiendgeneral you were correct about the archfiends effect. This is the response I received from Curtis:

Konami has said that it is a Trigger Effect, but the effect does not use the
chain.

You only bring its effect into the picture when the targeting effect
resolves. I suppose because of this it has no concern for the chain.

Curtis Schultz

Are there other cards you can think of like this? Thank you for the correction.

Other than the archfiends I'm not sure there ARE any other cards who have effects that occur while another effect is resolving. As far as I know it's ability only heard of in archfiends with die roll/negation ability. If there are other cards similar to the archfiends ability to occur during resolution, I sure don't know them.

Back